What is this connector type called?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by CorruptJon, Feb 15, 2009.

Feb 15, 2009
  1. CorruptJon
    OP

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
  2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    What the... What is that?!

I thought it was S-Video.But there is one random hole... Have you tried searching the brand on google, then going to their site? I bought a refurbished Dell Precision 370, and it came with some random video card since it had no VGA Port.

At first I thought it was a DVI port, but then it had a few extra squares... And then realizing it wasn't I ended up buying a new video card. I then trashed it. I had no use for it. If I can find it again, I will show you a picture of it.

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    its a 5 pin Mini-DIN connector

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DIN

they are just used as a generic connector. anywhere like farnell, newark, maplin or ratshack should carry them

edit: by "them" i mean the connector, it is unlikely you will find a psu with the right power output and connector.

4. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    If you're lucky there'll be a sticker on the bottom of the drive that gives you the voltage, amperage, and polarity & power type schematic.

Anytime I'm faced with this problem, I just hit as many thrift shops as I can and ask for the electronics guy (I used to be one) and show him what I need. He/she may be able to match something up for you, I used to always have a large box of random power supplies on hand. If you give him a few bucks he may even hack a connector up for you.

The voltage and amperage can be off a bit, but try to match up everything else, likely it'll be DC power, but I've been fooled before.

Worth a try anyway.. since it's not likely you'll find that precise power supply, like UltraMagnus said.

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    you could just buy a cheap new external DVD burner case and swap the drive out and into the new one with the new psu/cable [​IMG]

6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I was going to be a nood and say "yo man thats an S video" bit its totally not. I havent to slightest.

Mthrnite your Ava/sig combo is fuckin hilarious.

7. CorruptJon
    OP

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    Thanks for all of the help guys, I've only found two 5 pin connectors on ebay, hopefully one of them can work.

8. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    ok from your new image its a Samsung SE-S184 USB external litescribe dvd burner [​IMG]

maby email Samsung customer service and see if they can track one down for you [​IMG]

9. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    as I thought, it requires two voltages, the connector must have two voltage pins, and two ground pins, along with a NC pin. and you have no idea what way they are connected...