What is there to gain?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TheBlueFox, Jan 1, 2010.

Jan 1, 2010

What is there to gain? by TheBlueFox at 8:30 PM (1,379 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. TheBlueFox
    OP

Newcomer TheBlueFox Member

United States
    Hey everyone, I own a wii and I am quite happy with its performance. Am I happy with the selection of titles available to the wii? well thats a matter of discussion with the game developers, not you all.

I am however, interested in what a hacked wii will give me.

Do all/most backups of games work? or only a select few titles as was the case with early mods of other systems.
    are interesting and useful programs available? I noticed a DVD player homebrew, that seemed sweet.

We all know what the cons of this procedure are, most notably the lack of a functioning Wii, help me see whats the benefit.

2. wadzinsky

Newcomer wadzinsky Advanced Member

United States
    There are many benefits. I hacked my Wii so I could play all my games from a USB hard drive. It's not 100% in some cases like Metroid Prime Trilogy that requires alternate boot methods to work. But for what I do, it's just fine. Another benefit of having a hacked wii is the ability to copy saved games that otherwise could not be copied. These are the benefits I gained from it. I really had no other needs.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
  4. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If anything only a select few titles DON'T work. You can get pretty much any backup game working through homebrew, any VC/Wiiware game, emulators of a bunch of other stuff playing games with whatever controllers the Wii supports, media player CE for playing dvd media/media from an external USB drive or something. USB Loading all of your games that you do have which will run them at at least twice as fast loading times than retail discs with awesome looking GUI's that show all of your games cover arts to select from to boot.

5. metroid4life14

Member metroid4life14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    VC emulation, custom homebrew, usb loading, GCN backup loading, Wiiware from Nand Emulation, DVD enabled; you name it.

6. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Almost every game works. At least on USB loaders, which is the course I suggest you to take.
    Just try to say no to this:

You can google wiibrew for interesting programs, which there are quite many. Unfortunately, the DVD playing capabilities aren't that great. In my own experiences, most discs have been choppy or crashed the whole system. However, playing from SAMBA shares, USB drives or SD card works great.

7. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Since my Wii is hacked, I use it a lot more.
    It's basically turned into a complete multimedia home system now, I play loads of movies and music from my HDD (same HDD where I have over 60 Wii games on, and WiiWare/VC titles).
    It's just amazing, hacking made my Wii live again.

8. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    WADs were my main reason. Then I got into USB Loading. It's faster, easy to use, and won't wear out the DVD drive since you don't use it.

98% of games will run off USB. Only games I can think of that don't work normally are Metroid Trilogy (this can be made to work by running separate DOLs) and Wii Sports Resort (WM+ video, works normally after first use). Your Shape likely won't work because the camera is not supported.

As for cons, yeah, bricking your wii is always a possibility. Just install protection to help avoid a Shiny White Paperweight. Install bootmii as boot2 if you can and you're brick proof. If you can't, preloader can bail you out in many cases.

9. wadzinsky

United States
    In addition to TechBoy's response, Wii Sports Resort works just fine on USB Loader GX (using cIOS 14,15, or 16)

10. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Just to say: DVD-Player isn't realy working great, it has a very bad compatibility. It only works with a few discs, and not great (no DVD-Menu, etc.). So I would forget about that, and buy a DVD-Player if you want to watch DVDs.

Otherwise, besides that you can download and play games, or in another word, you can pirate (which is illegal, btw) play your Backups, you can:

-Run Emulators (which can still be piracy)
    -Play Media (Music/Videos/some DVDs)
    -Region Free Retail Games
    -Cheating in games
    -Run Linux (not realy for a daily use...fun to play with though)
    -Play some Homebrew-Games
    -Upcoming Edits of Games (FF4 Translation, NSMB Wii custom Levels)

That should it be. Look at WiiBrew for more (legal) possibilities what you can do. Use this Forum for all the "Backup"-Possibilities...

11. techboy

United States
    @wadzinsky: Yes, but last I checked, you need to Alt Dol it the first time for the WM+ video. If new version of GX doesn't need that, it's news to me.

12. wadzinsky

United States
    Sorry, guess I haven't checked that. I will do that now. [​IMG]

13. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    even GX needs it, so you're right

14. TheBlueFox
    OP

Newcomer TheBlueFox Member

United States
    Having purchased my wii within...the first year of release maybe... Though unfortunately updated to 4.2U, This is still possible and RELATIVELY safe?

I have modded a PSP before, successfully. So within reason I should be able to handle this myself after careful reading?

15. techboy

United States
    ALL Wiis can be modded safely, even official 4.2.

This guide is the one most of us on here recommend: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901 If you follow it exactly, you will do fine. Open the spoiler at the bottom of the first post to see the guide itself.

Since yours is an old unit, you can probably get bootmii as boot2. Once you install it and make the backup, the wii is brick proof.

16. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
  17. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Yeah, just keep that bookmarked and go there if you want to know something fast.
    I do it like that, great site!