Hacking What is the success rate of a USB Flash Drive have with Original Wiis?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hard to answer this question. In general most people will advise you to use a classic rotating external HDD since those seem to work better (although not every external HDD enclosure is compatible – I've had problems with 2.5" drives but had no trouble with 3.5" drives with their own power supply).

Writing to flash drives (rip games) is more problematic than reading (playing games). If you want to use a flash drive: Try a few. Maybe you get lucky. Despite the general advise to avoid flash drives I chose to use a very tiny USB 64GB drive that almost completely disappears in the USB slot to avoid an additional device and cables next to the Wii. Never had a single issue with that one (including writing). Recently I tried to upgrade to the 128GB model of the same kind → BANG! Nothing. Does not work.

Short version:
Try a few thumb drives. If none of them work or you get random crashes, I recommend an older (perhaps USB 2.0) 3.5" HDD with power supply.

Good luck and have fun!

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for your answers.

I am not going to rip games, just adding games to them... whatever. Is it as troublesome as "ripping?"

I'll follow your advice, KleinesSinchen. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, when you say "does not work," are you talking about the Wii or the 128GB USB flash drive?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Sinchen meant for Example:

Intenso Flash Drive 3.0 Black 64 GB -> Intenso Flash Drive 3.0 Black 128 GB
It can happen that an Upgrade from the SAME Brand/Type only different in Size,can work or maybe not.
Thats why my Answer was a 50 Percent Rate.\(◕ ◡ ◕\)

It is an Try and Error.
Can work/can not work.That is the Reason why it is not recommended to use USB Sticks/Flash Drives/Thumb Drives/Pen Drives for the USBLoader (GX).
And if a Type works/is recognized,it can (and it will !!) fail on the next Start Up without any Warning.

So it is a unreliable Device.

You do not rip Games,but you transfer Games to the USB Device,so Data writing is there.
Yes,we all know,USB Sticks (and that Kind) are small and handy and needs not many Space/lying next to the Wii.
(─‿‿─)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Maybe the same - can work or not.Depends on the (micro) SD Card/Adapter Combination.
Maybe also 50 Percent Rate.Honestly for some todays (micro) SD Cards "Quality" - not really recommended.
You can read a lot about faulty/failing (micro) SD Cards in the 3DS Section from GBAtemp

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All right, well, all your answers are good ones, full of information and may help me make an informed conclusion.

I won't buy a Wii right away, I'm still RTFM and asking stupid questions; I plan on coninuing the research stage until the pandemic is over.

Well, I don't know how to mark the best answer because you all answered well.

Thank you, and see you on the flip side. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol