1. thekarter104

OP thekarter104 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Hello. I'm about to buy a new set of colored Joy-cons, not the red and blue one.

Is there a new revision already if I buy new Joycons in 2020?

If the drift issue is still not fixed, I don't even bother ever buying Joycons again.

My 17ish year old Gamecube controller still doesn't drift, only lost the cap, so Nintendo, you can do it.

IC_ likes this.
  2. TheCasualties

TheCasualties Just trying to be helpful

Netherlands
    They haven't announced a hardware change, so I doubt it. It's still the same old joystick with graphite contacts. They did say "sorry" though. :wtf:

Really, I'm not sure how they could fix it, they need to switch to a new kind of joystick. Regular joysticks found in most controllers are way too thick to fit inside joycons. Maybe if they went with magnets like one of the Sega consoles (Dreamcast I think?), but as of now there's been no change.

Might as well just swap your drifting joystick for a new one. It's like $5. Or keep using air or cleaner until it doesn't help anymore.

If you want extra controllers for multiplayer, Pro controller or the mayflash adapter for PS/Xbox controllers might be a better option.

Or if your switch is hacked, Sys-Con might work instead of the adapter.

Side note: This guy made an interesting 'solution' to the joystick problem. A trackpad! https://blog.usejournal.com/how-i-hacked-nintendo-joy-con-controller-8ac22d75b0b8

Edit: since your in USA, pretty sure you can get the drifting joycons repaired for free.

Last edited by TheCasualties, Aug 8, 2020
    Meteor7 likes this.
  3. burial

burial GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Learn to repair them or buy a 3rd party option....officials cost way too much to deal with the drift.

The Hori pro joy cons are nice if you are ok with missing features.

TheCasualties likes this.
  4. TheCasualties

Netherlands
    2nd-ing the Hori Pro joycons as a good option. If you still want gyro and/or rumble, you can use 1 regular joycon and 1 hori pro-con.

For example, I use normal left joycon and Hori right pro-con, gyro aim and a better joystick for aiming!

DarkFlare69 likes this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye *is birb*

Norway
    Gotta be honest, that sounds awful.

AlexMCS likes this.
  6. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    Drift is still a problem so if you want extra joycons, try these . Same form factor, gyro, rumble (non-hd), bluetooth. Everything you need for $40

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye *is birb*

Norway
    Similar sticks too, just everything is cheaper quality. For the price you are better off going with official ones unless maybe it's just to have a second pair for occasional use by guests. I expect those sticks will fail even sooner.

8. burial

burial GBAtemp Fan

United States
    From what Ive read apparently most of the knockoff joycons use the official Nintendo analog sticks.

9. Tweaker_Modding

Tweaker_Modding Siezure Dice™

United Kingdom
    i sent my joycons in about a year ago for repair of the drift

recently my right joycon has started drifting again.

the joycons are the most defective controllers i’ve ever used

10. AlexMCS

AlexMCS GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    3rd-ing the Hori Split Pad Pro recommendations. Much better than the joy-cons in every possible way but size.
    Specially if you are like me and don't really care at all for the extra features of the regular joy-cons.
    It's all I use now when portable. When docked, I use my Wii U Pro Controllers with a pair of Mayflash NS-Magic adapters.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye *is birb*

Norway
    I have my doubts when I see sticks for $1.50 a piece online that look exactly like the original ones, which they most likely aren't. They may be functionally the same with identical design (it's not a complex design) but are surely made from cheaper parts. All the chinese manufacturers are sure to be using those sticks.

12. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Addict

United States
    The whole reason Nintendo ended up with drifting sticks is that they wanted to use a cheap Chinese part instead of making their own. And there's basically only one design that is appearing commonly in that size so everyone is using the same ones.

13. TheCasualties

Netherlands
    Don't knock it till you try it!

Surprisingly, It's not awful at all. Sure it looks weird, but you get a better grip (on one half at least), better aiming, and gyro all in one.
    It's my preferred way to play handheld FPS games now, It feels awful going back to a regular joycon for aiming. Not to mention the difference in grips, my hands don't cramp after long gaming sessions when doing this, unlike using 2 regular joycons.

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye *is birb*

Norway
    I use a GripCase, I don't like using the Switch bare either. The GripCase is pretty awesome though. And I have thick thumb caps on the sticks which gives them more travel, I could definitely tell a difference in Splatoon 2 with them.

15. thekarter104

OP thekarter104 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    OK so, I applied for repair, but they're staying that you need to backup to your stuff, but I don't need to send my whole Switch in, since of course I don't want to do that.

16. burial

burial GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Heres a new alternative that looks great and has all(?) the features of official...

17. AlexMCS

AlexMCS GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    There are also quite a few clones of this same design on amazon.
    All based in Shenzen/HK.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - status, drift,