What is the "safe" way of downloading now?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Gagarin, Feb 10, 2012.

Feb 10, 2012
  1. Gagarin
    OP

Member Gagarin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have no idea what is now. After megaupload I tried toreents, but I just got an letter from my internet provider that I downloaded copyrighted material and have to delete it.
    So is there any stealth way to download torrents?
    What is the best proxy program to hide my IP or eventualy change it?

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    You need to find a private tracker.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Encrypt yo' shit. Torrent client settings. Tell your client to not accept unencrypted connections too.

Also proxies can see everyting you do.

4. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    While I don't use one (but might in the future), I did a little bit of searching, and people seem to say that HideMyAss! is pretty good. I'm sure others will have their recommendations, but that is at least one.

Would the fact that you've been caught already be a problem even if you use a proxy program?

edit

Actually, I do use PeerBlock from time to time, but I don't think that's what you're looking for, is it?

5. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    i would say private tracker for torrents, ive been torrenting for year via private trackers, never got one warning and I have close to 3tb worth of tv shows and films altogether, kinda re-reminded myself I need a new hard drive soon

Also you could use peerblock, it stops you from connecting to certain ip's while torrenting that are known to track your movements

6. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    One thing to note though is that if a private tracker is popular enough, it becomes as safe as a public tracker, which is not good.

7. yusuo

United Kingdom
    and this is why you stay with the underground ones that have good scene releases and are upto date, ive got my one not loadsa members but roughly 20,000 members and all the latest content on a fast giga server.

8. Burbruee

Member Burbruee GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Usenet + SSL.

2 people like this.
  9. TwinRetro

United States
    I have been using a fairly popular tracker (rhymes with Shit Flamer) for the last 3 years, and I have downloaded nearly a TB of data, and uploaded 150% of that. I still have yet to get a letter or get my Internet shut off.

10. yusuo

United Kingdom
    shit flamer lol, i cant guess it, I have two, high knee torrents and lex needs (seeing as were speaking in tongues)

11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The "safe" way is legally through services like itunes and steam.

Otherwise, follow the above posts and encrypt your transmissions.

1 person likes this.
  12. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    It really depends on your ISP.
    Several don't give two shits if you torrent or not. I know mine doesn't care at all.

13. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Likewise, my ISP (Verizon) seems to not give a shit and a half either. Granted, ISPs in general aren't supposed to - they wait for the big boys to tell them that someone on their network has been downloading their stuff illegally, then your ISP passes on the letter. So, following that logic, I've just been incredibly lucky the last 4 years or so.

A few TBs of data here and there, plus recently a few hundred GB of torrents.

PeerBlock IS useful, but it's not as effective as it needs to be (meaning it doesn't block ALL bad connections, obviously. Just known ones.)
    Rydian, I thought that torrent encryption settings were just to bypass ISP filtering on the BitTorrent protocol. Not actual encryption so others can't see what you're doing?

14. TwinRetro

United States
    Mine does. The second I DL a torrent from Terry Pratchett's Ballsack, or any comparable public torrent site, my ISP temporarily shuts down my internet, kicking me to a page telling me I have been a naughty boy, and to call customer service so I can receive my lecture.

15. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    It's usually not down to the ISP, its down to the companys the copyright holders hire to troll the public trackers and report the IP address.
    Using encryption on a public tracker will stop the ISP seeing what you are downloading but not the protocol you are using and your IP address will still be visable to other people.
    USENET+SSL is fairly secure but you will probably end up paying for that. It can also be much faster than torrenting.

USENET will IMO be the next big target for anti-piracy, newzbin (search engine) lost a court case not that long ago effectively shutting them down and probably soon MPAA/RIAA/who ever will go after the service providers aswell.

16. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Really? Because with that cost barrier to entry i see more people going to torrents than Usenet, and since the great majority of people moving from direct downloads to torrents won't know how to remain anonymous they'll be the easy targets, later escalating to the trackers.

Newzbin (relaunched after losing that case you mention) has actually moved all it's content away from anything US related to prevent intrusion from those groups you mention...surely logic dictates that you'd go for the easier target first.

17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    For several cases, it is down to the ISP to restrict illegal file transfers. I know a few that will send threatening letters the moment you download an unauthorized tracker from any public torrent site. Others are passive until the lawyers ring them up.

18. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    #
    No, stay away from Usenet kiddies. It's for grownups with paychecks.Also, it's not actually as good as people say - totally slow and rubbish. You're better off with torrents

19. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Best way is to get an ISP who give no fucks. I use AT&T (unfortunately...) and I've been downloading things for 2-4 years on it and no fucks were given. Probably because I go over my 150GB limit per month so I have to charge $10 for another 50GB...heh.

20. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If my isp ever sent me one of they letters I would tell them to FO, tbh. I would switch provider.

2 people like this.