Gaming What is the "safe" way of downloading now?

Gagarin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what is now. After megaupload I tried toreents, but I just got an letter from my internet provider that I downloaded copyrighted material and have to delete it.
So is there any stealth way to download torrents?
What is the best proxy program to hide my IP or eventualy change it?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
While I don't use one (but might in the future), I did a little bit of searching, and people seem to say that HideMyAss! is pretty good. I'm sure others will have their recommendations, but that is at least one.

Would the fact that you've been caught already be a problem even if you use a proxy program?

edit

Actually, I do use PeerBlock from time to time, but I don't think that's what you're looking for, is it?

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i would say private tracker for torrents, ive been torrenting for year via private trackers, never got one warning and I have close to 3tb worth of tv shows and films altogether, kinda re-reminded myself I need a new hard drive soon

Also you could use peerblock, it stops you from connecting to certain ip's while torrenting that are known to track your movements

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One thing to note though is that if a private tracker is popular enough, it becomes as safe as a public tracker, which is not good.
and this is why you stay with the underground ones that have good scene releases and are upto date, ive got my one not loadsa members but roughly 20,000 members and all the latest content on a fast giga server.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I have been using a fairly popular tracker (rhymes with Shit Flamer) for the last 3 years, and I have downloaded nearly a TB of data, and uploaded 150% of that. I still have yet to get a letter or get my Internet shut off.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shit flamer lol, i cant guess it, I have two, high knee torrents and lex needs (seeing as were speaking in tongues)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been using a fairly popular tracker (rhymes with Shit Flamer) for the last 3 years, and I have downloaded nearly a TB of data, and uploaded 150% of that. I still have yet to get a letter or get my Internet shut off.

It really depends on your ISP.
Several don't give two shits if you torrent or not. I know mine doesn't care at all.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Likewise, my ISP (Verizon) seems to not give a shit and a half either. Granted, ISPs in general aren't supposed to - they wait for the big boys to tell them that someone on their network has been downloading their stuff illegally, then your ISP passes on the letter. So, following that logic, I've just been incredibly lucky the last 4 years or so.

A few TBs of data here and there, plus recently a few hundred GB of torrents.

PeerBlock IS useful, but it's not as effective as it needs to be (meaning it doesn't block ALL bad connections, obviously. Just known ones.)
Rydian, I thought that torrent encryption settings were just to bypass ISP filtering on the BitTorrent protocol. Not actual encryption so others can't see what you're doing?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

It really depends on your ISP.
Several don't give two shits if you torrent or not. I know mine doesn't care at all.

Mine does. The second I DL a torrent from Terry Pratchett's Ballsack, or any comparable public torrent site, my ISP temporarily shuts down my internet, kicking me to a page telling me I have been a naughty boy, and to call customer service so I can receive my lecture.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's usually not down to the ISP, its down to the companys the copyright holders hire to troll the public trackers and report the IP address.
Using encryption on a public tracker will stop the ISP seeing what you are downloading but not the protocol you are using and your IP address will still be visable to other people.
USENET+SSL is fairly secure but you will probably end up paying for that. It can also be much faster than torrenting.

USENET will IMO be the next big target for anti-piracy, newzbin (search engine) lost a court case not that long ago effectively shutting them down and probably soon MPAA/RIAA/who ever will go after the service providers aswell.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
USENET will IMO be the next big target for anti-piracy, newzbin (search engine) lost a court case not that long ago effectively shutting them down and probably soon MPAA/RIAA/who ever will go after the service providers aswell.

Really? Because with that cost barrier to entry i see more people going to torrents than Usenet, and since the great majority of people moving from direct downloads to torrents won't know how to remain anonymous they'll be the easy targets, later escalating to the trackers.

Newzbin (relaunched after losing that case you mention) has actually moved all it's content away from anything US related to prevent intrusion from those groups you mention...surely logic dictates that you'd go for the easier target first.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
For several cases, it is down to the ISP to restrict illegal file transfers. I know a few that will send threatening letters the moment you download an unauthorized tracker from any public torrent site. Others are passive until the lawyers ring them up.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's usually not down to the ISP, its down to the companys the copyright holders hire to troll the public trackers and report the IP address.
Using encryption on a public tracker will stop the ISP seeing what you are downloading but not the protocol you are using and your IP address will still be visable to other people.
USENET+SSL is fairly secure but you will probably end up paying for that. It can also be much faster than torrenting.

#
No, stay away from Usenet kiddies. It's for grownups with paychecks.Also, it's not actually as good as people say - totally slow and rubbish. You're better off with torrents

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Best way is to get an ISP who give no fucks. I use AT&T (unfortunately...) and I've been downloading things for 2-4 years on it and no fucks were given. Probably because I go over my 150GB limit per month so I have to charge $10 for another 50GB...heh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi: