Homebrew What is the proper way to downgrade?

MulticonsoleGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've finally fixed my switch and even got an RCMloader for it so i can launch homebrew on the go, my only issue is downgrading it. I have it connected to the internet (Thanks to 90DNS) and i would like to get some actual homebrew on it, the issue though is that my OFW is at 10.1.0 and all the available homebrew that I know works well is on the lower firmwares. I know I should probably downgrade the EmuMMC, but I would like help doing that so that Henkate and Atmosphere doesn't error out.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What homebrew requires a lower firmware? The only one I'm aware of is Alien vs. Predator. All the others I use have been updated for 10.x

Have you tested the homebrew apps you want on your current firmware yet? I've not seen anyone else say their homebrew stopped working on latest firmware.

MulticonsoleGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goldleaf tends to freeze up sometimes and Tinfoil refuses to boot despite being the newest release.

And on 10.0.1, mgba didn't even want to work properly. It would try to boot the rom, but it would freeze

TheCasualties

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Weird. Those work fine on 10.0.3. I haven't updated to 10.1.0 yet but checking those app's threads, I've not seen anyone else saying they don't work on latest firmware.

Do you get any error message when trying to run tinfoil? I know Tinfoil gets blocked if you used an all-in-one setup like SD-setup or Neptune, etc. Goldleaf has always had trouble freezing for me. You can try using Awoo Installer as an alternative at least.

You could try RetroArch for GBA games, maybe that will work for you. If it still freezes when trying to boot the same roms, it might the the rom's fault.

I guess you could downgrade to test, but I think it would be better to just get them working properly on your current firmware. https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualupgrade.html has a decent guide, but again this should be a last resort. Be sure not to downgrade your SysMMC!

MulticonsoleGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the last time I did downgrade, i did a big no-no and i did downgrade my SysMMC, but i did restore and fix my switch. but im gonna assume that downgrading the EmuMMC wont do no harm to the system itself since its in the SD card itself. With Tinfoil, every time I boot it, it will show a blackscreen like its gonna boot, but then it will boot me back to the hbmenu. And i take back Tinoil not working, its installer isnt working, so I should take the tinfoil.nro out of the file and put it on the root of the msd, right?

TheCasualties

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yea If you mess up your emuMMC, you can just create another. (You'll lose your saves though, unless you backed them up before it got messed up.)

Not sure what you mean about the tinfoil.nro, it should install tinfoil onto your homescreen. The nro should be in your 'switch' folder.

OH! are you launching the homebrew from the album button? If so, you need to use 'title redirect' by holding R and opening any game on your home screen instead. That might be why installs are failing, and would explain the mGBA crash. I should have asked this earlier.

MulticonsoleGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter if I launch through album or though a game, Goldleaf will freeze while trying to install something (I just tried again with the error 2145-0001 (0x291) Module ETickets (145) with the description being Unknown or undocumented error (1)) It only freezes when trying to install something by remoting it to my laptop. mGBA no matter I'm in applet mode or Game mode (that's what I'm calling it from now on) it would launch, i would try to open the rom, and it would freeze right there. I haven't tried it since then, but that is was it was doing on 10.0 and 10.0.1

MulticonsoleGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I tried moving the tinfoil.nro to root/switch and it refuses to show up. I've double checked to see if it was in the right spot, but it just absolutely refuses to show up and when I tried booting it with Goldleaf, the screen went black before going back to the hbmenu.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No point of downgrading, checkpoint, and goldleaf works fine on 10.1.0, you can flash lower firmware but chance you bricking that emunand is high if you don't know what you are doing, so if you bricked, you just going have to rebuild the emunand.

MulticonsoleGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so now i have Tinfoil running on ReiNX and it seems to be doing a much better job. I guess i should have mentioned that i was running under Atmosphere and i would have probably gotten my answer sooner. Didn't know that Tinfoil wouldn't install on atmosphere, guess I should have asked first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)