What is the meaning of the term "dependency" with regard to computer technology?

zoyaa10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have researched this question, but can't find a consensus. If "A depends on B", does the term "dependency" refer to:

1. A
  2. B
  3. The relationship between A and B
Does this term have different meanings in different subdomains of computer technology?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have researched this question, but can't find a consensus. If "A depends on B", does the term "dependency" refer to:

1. A
  2. B
Does this term have different meanings in different subdomains of computer technology?
Basically if B is dependent on A it means B can't run unless A is running first. If A crashes or stops working so will B if B crashes A will continue to run since it's the parent process. So 3 would be the correct answer.

Reactions: AncientBoi

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Or program X depends on availability of library Y so in order to compile and run the program you need the headers for library Y installed and then link the program with said library. (On Windowws, DLL's are the said libraries.)

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country

1. A
  2. B
In terms of software design, if A depends on B, A is the dependant and B is the dependency from A's perspective. Be aware B can be dependant on other things. This dependency can be a class, a struct or a whole library. What is important is how the dependency is handled, rather than what depends on what.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dependencies are some of the most frustrating aspects of building apps and whatnot, especially if the dependencies needed aren't written somewhere. usually when it says "can't find" or whatever, you're missing a dependency. if there's code that results in an error, you're most likely using the wrong version of something. either one of these things, dependencies as well using the wrong version, can make building extremely difficult, especially when the project appears dead or hasn't been updated in like a decade.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the scenario posed. A has a dependency on B, that is to say dependency is an adjective describing a quality of A.
B is a dependency, that is to say dependency is used as a noun to detail what B is in that scenario.

I could probably construct a sentence with it as a verb but I don't think I have ever seen it done so I will skip that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte