GCN What is the max sized SD Card that the GTMax SD Converter handle?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I bought the following SD Converter off Amazon and, from what I understand, it's a fully functioning SD Gecko clone.

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

It finally arrived in the mail today. However, I can find very little information on google or anywhere else about it, and there's no insert or instructions in the package that tell me anything about it. I read that some other SD converters (including the SD Gecko) can't read SD cards greater than 4gb, so I'm a bit worried. I want to get a 32 or 64 gb sd card for this (so I can store lots of games), but I don't want to waste that much money on the SD card if it's not compatible with my GTMax. Anyone know anything about this? All information, rumor, speculation,and sources are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

**EDIT**
Found this page here.
http://gcemu.dcemu.co.uk/tutorial-to-get-homebrew-and-emulators-to-work-on-gamecube-without-modding-45125.html

Says you need an SD converter and SD card up to 4gb, and that SDHC will not work. I'm assuming that means only 4gb on ANY sd converter?

OSpencerO

Trophies
From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, Just go to Wal-Mart, Target or any place that wil let you easily return the item without a restocking fee.
That way if it don't work you aren't out anything besides a little bit of time.

BTW, I see your Location: Appalachian State University so I assume that you are from Boone if so I've been there to go to Tweetsie Railroad.

Spencer

:yaynds:

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Just go to Wal-Mart, Target or any place that wil let you easily return the item without a restocking fee.
That way if it don't work you aren't out anything besides a little bit of time.

BTW, I see your Location: Appalachian State University so I assume that you are from Boone if so I've been there to go to Tweetsie Railroad.

Spencer

:yaynds:
haha... not from Boone, but definitely attending college there. I haven't been on the Tweetsie Railroad since I was like 7... definitely gonna go again this Halloween though. :)

Anyway, yeah I'll just go ahead and do that.

But hey, I have some SDHC MICROSD cards lying around... using the SD adapter, will that work as a test of SDHC, or does it HAVE to be a "true" normal sized SDHC card?

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully, It will work if not maybe you could get a Wiikey. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wiikey-sd-card-adapter-for-wii-3993 I had one a few years ago but traded it & a 8GB SDHC card for a Wavebird controller. Spencer :yaywii:
Ok, long story filled with sighs...

So I turned on the gamecube, and it wouldn't boot the action replay disk.... I checked the gamecube menu, and it said no disc inserted. I tested with other games, and same thing. Somehow, my gamecube's disc reader died. Fortunately, this was one of the refurbs, so i drove over to Gamestop and got a free replacement.

Back at home with my new gamecube, i got back to work. I started by following the instructions HERE: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload

Like the instructions said, I placed the action replay disc inside, put an empty memory card in slot B, and booted. However, I see no "enter code" option. When it turns on, Action Replay takes me straight to a list of games with "free load" listed at the top. I can't find a code entry option ANYWHERE.

Did I do something wrong? or is it because the action replay is "too new", and hence doesn't have code entry? If this is the case, am I sunk? I heard there's a workaround even without code entry, but I don't know.

OSpencerO

Trophies
From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm sorry to have to give bad news but I think your have GameCube Action Replay version 1.20/1.2 or higher.
You need a GameCube Action Replay version lower than 1.20/1.2.

I found this online...

How do you tell what version your action replay for gamecube is?

Look on back, where the shiny side is. On the edge and close to the ring you put your finger in, in fine, hard to see print, it will say: DOLE:-... There will be some number and you will see an: 00, 01, or an 02. that is your version. Also, versions go by: 00= version 1.0, 01= version 1.1, and 02= version 1.2.

The best way I know of to find a GameCube Action Replay version lower than 1.20/1.2 is looking in a store that carries used games & accessories.

I'm Sorry, That I couldn't be of more help on this one.

Spencer

:(

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You're right, I do have 1.2 (says the manual). :-\ and the only "old version" I could find are like $80 on ebay or amazon...

I decided to hard mod my gcn with the xenogc chip instead: I heard sd load through action replay doesn't work as flawlessly as I thought, plus I did a lot of research and found a well-known, reputable modder on another forum who will install the chip for me for only $30. So I'll go with that. :-) thanks for all your input, guys!

Ps, Spencer, interestingly enough, the gtmax converter I gt actually reads "wii key" on top. Weird.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... on the same topic, does anyone think it's worth it on getting a modded gamecube top case to fit full-size DVD-Rs? I hear it's much cheaper in the long run than mini-DVDs (plus, it's harder to find mini-DVDs of high enough quality), but the only site I could find that sells them is completely sold out.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... on the same topic, does anyone think it's worth it on getting a modded gamecube top case to fit full-size DVD-Rs? I hear it's much cheaper in the long run than mini-DVDs (plus, it's harder to find mini-DVDs of high enough quality), but the only site I could find that sells them is completely sold out.

Mini-DVD has become hard to find, although I have heard they are easier to find in the states... I am definitely going to importing a few of the full cases so I don't have to worry if Mini-DVD dry up in the future, sadly the cases aren't cheap either or widely available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz