Hacking What is the max size of microSD the R4 can handle?

thejokerss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SO finally got around to get an R4 ( original ), when the hype went on it was all about 1GB kingston cards made in japan...

Now i was using a search engine and they dont even offer 1/2GB microsd cards anymore.

thinking of going with the following

SanDisk Secure Digital Card (microSDHC) Micro Class 4 8GB (SDSDQ-8192)
http://geizhals.at/eu/a298544.html

Second thing i wonder about is since FAT16 only supports up to 2GB, i read before FAT32 is slower, but since these new mSD cards are alot faster ( with the class 4/6 designation ) is this still an issue?

Thanks for the input.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the thing is, is your R4 a REAL R4 or one of the fakes? Is it a R4 v3 or R4SDHC or anything like that? Or is it just a plain R4DS? Or are you not sure? There are many fakes out now and if you just recently bought it, it is likely one of the fakes.

A REAL R4 only supports a 2gig microSD, not any of the SDHC ones that are larger than 2gig.

Some of the fakes are supposed to support SDHC though, but I'm not sure which ones.

Biggest issue with the R4 is that it is no longer supported. The team that created the REAL R4 hasn't been heard from for a very long time now. So don't be surprised if some of the latest games don't work.

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
potentially dumb question here, but I'll ask.

What's the last confirmed, unpatched ROM (via release #) to work on a REAL R4 with current 1.18 firmware?

Thanks.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, lots of the current games still work with it, it's just that there will be a few every once in a while that won't. They will never be fixed......at least not without some kind of hack.

anubiss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Well the thing is, is your R4 a REAL R4 or one of the fakes? Is it a R4 v3 or R4SDHC or anything like that? Or is it just a plain R4DS? Or are you not sure? There are many fakes out now and if you just recently bought it, it is likely one of the fakes.

A REAL R4 only supports a 2gig microSD, not any of the SDHC ones that are larger than 2gig.

Some of the fakes are supposed to support SDHC though, but I'm not sure which ones.

yes. Real R4 only support 2G. R4-sdhc support larger and SDHC

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
anubiss said:
Rayder said:

yes. Real R4 only support 2G. R4-sdhc support larger and SDHC

The R4 SDHC doesn't support SDHC....

thejokerss

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup im quite sure its an original R4 ( actually got it over a year ago, found it at work, forgot i even had it
wink.gif
) , didnt buy a NDS till now either since i can only play so many games at once.

Anyhow never seem to learn new things, looks like i was looking at the wrong section for micro SD cards.

Found kingston 1GB cards, but i dont know which ones of these shops sell the Jap version

http://geizhals.at/eu/a214566.html

If needed, are there any other good alternatives out?

EDIT: if someone knows shops in europe that accept mastercards who sell 100% jap versions only dont hesitate to link me.

Derak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
psycoblaster said:
there used to be non SDHC 4 gigs, but I think I heard that when using a 4 gig microSD, it was quite buggy.

4GB Non-SDHC microSD is urban legend. It never existed and it never will. 2GB is maximum for non-SDHC cards due to hardware limitations. Non-SDHC architecture does not allows higher capacity. On some webshops you can find 4 or 8 GB cards listed as "microSD" but in fact they are microSDHC. Also on R4 official website 4GB cards compatibility was mentioned, but it never worked.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Derak said:
4GB Non-SDHC microSD is urban legend. It never existed and it never will. 2GB is maximum for non-SDHC cards due to hardware limitations

Just because they were not in the spec doesn't mean they never existed. They used a larger cluster size to work. The SDHC Specification only goes up to 32GB, but theoretically, it could go higher with no hardware modifications.

QUOTE(how_do_i_do_that @ Oct 15 2008, 06:53 PM) It does exist, the only problem is that it was taken off the market by sandisk because of problems. It was discontinued.

It wasn't made by sandisk IIRC - it was a knock-off.

Hiken-no-Ken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
thejokerss said:
Now i was using a search engine and they dont even offer 1/2GB microsd cards anymore.

www.meritline.com
www.dealextreme.com

both sell 1 and 2 gb japanes kingstons. $7 for the 2gb.

-another world

Now that's what I call gay... leaving his name behind when it's clearly shown already. Sad.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hiken-no-Ken said:
Another World said:
thejokerss said:

www.meritline.com
www.dealextreme.com

both sell 1 and 2 gb japanes kingstons. $7 for the 2gb.

-another world

Now that's what I call gay... leaving his name behind when it's clearly shown already. Sad.
Now thats what I call trolling... too bad he'll be banned soon.

Hey, TC, 2 GB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16