1. Hammyface

OP Hammyface GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hello! I know Nintendo says the max SD card size for the DSi is 32gb, but I figured with a CFW and especially DSiMenu++ that the limit might be higher, but I just tried a 128GB SD card and it won't boot (the contents of the SD card are identical to my 8GB SD card which works without issue). Is there any way to get 128GB cards to work? Or is 32 GB truly the limit?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Sha8q

Sha8q pls help

Jamaica
    You would need to format the 64gb+ SD to SDHC, not SDXC. Doing that does slow down the SD, so you really shouldn't try it.

Hammyface likes this.
  3. Hammyface

United States
    I actually did not know you could format a card to SDHC. Is that the same thing as formatting it to fat16 or something?

4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Italy
    There's indeed no such thing as "formatting to SDHC"; however, the standard for regular SDs mandate them to have a MBR partition table containing only one FAT16 primary partition, the standard for SDHCs mandate them to have a MBR partition table containing only one FAT32 primary partition, and the standard for SDXCs mandate them to have a MBR partition table containing only one ExFAT(FAT64) primary partition

There's absolutely no technical reason to tie a generation of SD to a specific partition table or filesystem (lobbying of members of the SD association, especially towards the still-patented ExFAT, is probably the main reason); however that's how the standards are written and the only reason why many devices supporting SDXC cards (which have no significant differences with SDHC) but not ExFAT can't advertise "SDXC support"

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  5. Hammyface

United States
    So...can the DSi accept a larger than 32GB SD card or no? :)

6. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    Short answer is: Yes!

I tested an SDXH with 128GB successfully on a DSi and don't see a reason why bigger capacity would not work. But I don't see any reason to actually use such big SDs on a DSi either.
    Please note that (modern) Windows does not allow formatting partitions >32GB to FAT32. If you are WIndows user guiformat will do.

Hammyface likes this.
  7. Hammyface

United States
    Thank you! The reason to use a bigger one is so you can have every DSi and DS release on the system at once :)

8. Hammyface

United States
    Also is there anything special I need to do to get it to work? Just format it to fat32 is all? I would be using a 200GB card.

9. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Germany
    Linux: mkfs.vfat
    Windows: guiformat
    I don't have a Mac but I guess Mac OS has built-in FAT32 formatting tools (hopefully not with an artificial limit like Windows)
    Mostly recommended cluster size is 32KB.

Anything ≤ 2TB can be easily formatted to FAT32

Unless you manually changed the partition table on your SD card to GPT there is nothing more to do than reformatting.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, Jan 24, 2020
    alexander1970 and Hammyface like this.
  10. de-coder

de-coder Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    I tried many sd-cards >2GB ... they do only work, when sd is filled with data <2GB. More than 2GB causes an black screen error an twilight++ is not booting.
    2GB can only formatted with 16KB clusters, not 32kb. Its working. When using more partitions on SD, install in primary partition.

alexander1970 likes this.
  11. Pk11

Pk11 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    TWiLight Menu++ can work perfectly fine on large cards, its just HiyaCFW that doesn't work well. So if you're using TWiLight Menu on a large card I'd recommend switching to launching it directly in Unlaunch instead of through HiyaCFW, unless you do want to have the HiyaCFW SDNAND menu too in which you will need to fill it up.

alexander1970 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - DSiMenu++, HiyaCFW,