Hacking what is the main reason why people use flashme?

kobe_24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay hi guys. im new to this forum as well as the ds community.

well there are so many topics that relate to flashme

what exactly is flashme and what does it do?

if you recommend "flashme" can you provide links that will help me be successful on using flash me.

thank you.

htoxad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Flashme is essentially hacking your DS to think it always has a PassMe in it.
Before the NoPass, the PassMe cards all required a second DS card plugged into it (think gameshark for cart based systems) so they were quite cumbersome.
If you have a slot 1 card (other than one shitty card that I forget the name of) it is also a NoPass device and there's not much of a use for FlashMe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashme

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thats not flashme's only use :\

Nopass cards are cumbersome as well. Flashme lets you use a slot 2 card without the need for a nopass, so you can free up your slot 1 slot for other things. If you don't have a slot 2 card, flashme isn't necessary obviously.

You can also give your friends flashme for perfect download play compatibility with them
tongue.gif

I did it to my friends ds so we could download play and multiplayer and stuff.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Even if you use R4, FlashME is still a good idea:
- it removes RSA
- it removes the HW screen
- it adds recovery mode (though it's obsolete and requires a SLOT-2 card)

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
when your ds bricks it doesnt write over the first section(512 bytes of the memory because that part can only be acsessed by bridging SL1(the 2 semi circles). so if your ds bricks and its been flashed you can can just reinstall it if its been bricked

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Even if you use R4, FlashME is still a good idea:
- it removes RSA
- it removes the HW screen
- it adds recovery mode (though it's obsolete and requires a SLOT-2 card)

Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by it removes RSA? and i assume HW screen is that health warning thing?
RSA is a protection used in DS' wireless protocol. A DS with no FlashME usually can't play DS Download Play games as guest, if the host DS is using a backup (since backups need patching and patching destroys the encryption in the game).
And yes, you assume right.
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RSA is the download play signing, a stock ds does not run unsigned code.

HW is the health screen although you can leave it (this is the so called stealth version).

Two other points arise though

flashme is not the only modded firmware, search for creebome and fwnitro for starters but bear in mind those are still in heavy development.

old style DSs if they are newer models of them can have multiple settings on backlights, just use the newest version of flashme, here is cory1492's mirror:
http://l33t.spod.org/~cory1492/FlashMeV7-Apr-18-2006.zip

If you want to unflash a lite search for the updated noflashme, I have no link offhand though.

xbman

Trophies
XP
Country
With any of the newer slot-1 cards (r4, m3, g6, etc) you really shouldn't need to use flashme. I used it on my original DS when I was using a supercard. I also have a passme 2 which I only used once to run flashme. The main reason to use it is if you are using a slot-2 solution and don't want to have a passme/passkey/etc in slot-1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: bored, guess i'll spread more democracy