What is the highest price you're willing to pay for a new released game?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Jun 5, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    For me it's between £29 ($48) to £32 ($53) because if it's anything higher then I'll just wait for it to drop down.

I've seen games that I've bought for £40 (Mario 3D World @ JL) and higher but if people want them for a lower price then just look around online retailers.

I can't wait to grab myself Smash 4 for £32 or less! ^_^

Btw, I'm not a cheapskate I just don't like paying too much for them because they're even going to decrease as the years pass by.

2. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Depends on the game. When Destiny comes out this year I'm getting it Day One for whatever price it is, I don't give a shit.
    Typically I'll buy certain limited edition games as well, such as RPGs that include specific extras like physical Collectibles that range from $70-$80.
    There are other games that I typically wait and I'll buy used after awhile.

One thing I've been doing for the past 2 month is I bought one used game from gamestop for about $55. Gamestops policy states that you have one week from the date of purchase until you can return said game for ANY REASON. This includes not liking the game.

So what I've been doing is using the money from the FIRST game, to continually try out other games. GameStop allows me to return the game and exchange it for something of equal or lesser value as long as it's before the week is up. Basically I've been renting games from them for a couple months now, blasting through games or trying out other ones without having to pay Gamefly prices.
    The latest game I've rented is Watch Dogs and trust me, I'm glad I can return it. This is why I love the used game market. I'm saving HUNDREDS of dollars on not having to continually buy used games, and have been re-using my one time payment of $55 for 2 months now to try out is say about 17 different games on Wii U and Xbox One.

So truly it just depends on how you spend your money and the game.

3. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I find the European prices overpriced, that's why i wait for price drops.
    I see retail price of 3rd party games in USA for 30 bucks which i would dig any time if it was like that in Europe.

USA 30 bucks=22.5 Euro
    Europe 30-35 pounds= 37-43 Euro

But the games that i love i buy with a heartbeat, ignoring the price.

4. p3rand0r

p3rand0r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2014
    Albania
    On the ⌨
    im a cheap gamer i usually wait for a price drop or for a trade , but 20-30$ for a sport game (ps) and 30-40$ for a 2d awesome game (golden sun please!)

5. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    A lot of ps4/x bone titles are £55...Which is about $92. I bought watchdogs for £55. Couldn't find it any cheaper.

It hurts me paying so much.. I would happily spend £30. I do buy games even if they are priced £55 but not a happy customer doing so.

6. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    My limit is 30 or 40 on average games, but if its an AAA title, well that speaks for itself.

7. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm cheap so under £30 for me

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  8. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    £55 for PS4/XO games? Eesh that's really a lot of money.

I'm glad that Nintendo games don't go for that much or I'd just refuse to buy them until a price drop.

9. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I am ok with any fair price, I don't buy many games anyway.

10. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Nowadays it depends on the game. I don't mind paying full price for a handheld game which are $40 and below but for console games, I usually wait until it's cheaper. Unless it's something I'm really interested in like Peraona 5.

Logan97 likes this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Depends what you are offering me. However most games are basically an instance of a game with future support being a maybe so I guess I get to go with that. For a game with a proper rolling release model or something to attract then... probably still play it by ear.

In that case parity with DVDs is what I seek. This usually means I pick up a second hand copy a couple of years later.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Normally I pay up to 150zł which is aprox. $50, I'm not keen on paying more than that unless the game has the potential to be "the best thing ever". As far as recent games are concerned, I spent more than that on GTA V (I believe it was a little over $60).

13. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Nowadays, most of the games are made in big quantities, so a price drop is expected. My limit is around $30-35, since I don't have a job right now.

14. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Could you translate exactly what it's saying, for those of us that don't speak its language? :)

15. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've paid 150 quid for a collectors edition of Bioshock Infinite.
    Depends on the game what I'm willing to spend on it.

Densetsu and chavosaur like this.
  16. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
  17. jalaneme

jalaneme Female Gamer

Nov 27, 2006
    London

eek, stop shopping at game instore, i always buy all my games online because places like game and hmv charge so much, everytime i walking inside their shops and see their prices i always walk out in disgust, they still charge £50 for a 7 year old ps3 controller, disgusting, i recommend buying from amazon because they give you free release day delivery if you preorder from them.

as for my limit, it depends on the game, if i know it's going to down down in price quickly i wait, if i know a goty version will come out i wait, if it's a nintendo game i don't bother waiting because it wont ever go down in price, but majority of my stuff i buy in sales with a few exceptions but even then the latest games are reasonably priced on amazon.

18. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Eh, depends. I don't buy many games nowadays so I usually keep it to $20. I'll make exceptions now and then (I just bought Dark Souls II off the PSN for $40) but I'm usually pretty frugal with my earnings and I prefer to spend it elsewhere. During the summer it's usually on outings with my friends (so food, movies, etc) and at least once a week, if possible, on a draft for Magic.

19. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    I have to be really excited for a game to buy it new, even then £40 max.
    Otherwise I wait until its price depreciates and then get it from my dads store with discount.

To be honest I havent bought anything this year due to exams but they're almost done so I can un-dust my PS3.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  20. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Normally its 40 bucks unless its a game i'm really waiting for then i'll get it at launch (Even if game price sucks in Canada right now. 65$ for a Wii U game and 70$ for a PS4 game)