What is the game you invested the most money in?

tempy_thinker.png

As anybody that even vaguely follows games will know then most computer games cost money. How much money they cost can vary quite dramatically, even from person to person. For the industry is a very important topic as you will want to get the most money for your product, and different people have different "pain points" and understanding those will potentially see you make a lot more money than you otherwise might have.
This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss things to do with game design, aspects of play and other industry concepts. Today is Noctosphere's guest entry in the series.

Counting things like expansions, dlc, virtual currency, monthly payments, etc then what is the game you invested the most in?

Personally, I invested a lot in The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.
In total I invested over 400$ in the sims 4 over the years
I calculated, it's about 10$/month, which I think isn't that bad.

Previously we discussed times where people said gameplay styles would not work for a platform

Also under discussion are times you might have purchased a console for a single game, a large collection or peripherals or upgraded your PC again just for that one game. You might also want to compare it to games other than computer games, the obvious first start for many being collectible card games such as Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh and the Pokemon card game. Similarly have you waited for something to go on sale, hit the second hand market, get released as a gold/game of the year edition or something along those lines? Tiered pricing in games is also sort of on the way out, do you have any thoughts there?

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure people will make fun of me for this, but the game I invested the most money into was Pokemon Shuffle Mobile, when I used to play it. I think that I've spent around $500+ on Jewels alone during the time I played it, which is around 18 months.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure people will make fun of me for this, but the game I invested the most money into was Pokemon Shuffle Mobile, when I used to play it. I think that I've spent around $500+ on Jewels alone during the time I played it, which is around 18 months.
Never heard about this game
So... i cant really laugh of you

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spent something like $120 (inc shipping) on Super Fire Prowrestling Special import for super nintendo. It wasn't my last fire pro, but most of later ones I bought were on disc, not cart, so cheaper. Well worth the money, I spent plenty of time on that (tho not as much as on the next one I bought, Fire Prowrestling S 6men Scramble on Saturn, must have spent thousands of hours on that counting the create mode)

Zelda Collector's Edition for $60 IIRC. Don't buy DLC, monthly subscriptions, etc.

Which Zelda? (there was a Zelda with a collector's editon?) *googles* oh, the gamecube collection disc... I have two of those, payed nothing for them got them free from Nintendo Power, lol

Last edited by tbb043,

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Defender of Texel, a game made by DeNa (yup, the same guys that Nintendo Allied with) and wasted nearly 150 Dlls on microtransactions.
it was my darker moment when I reallized that pay-for-win microtransactions are evil and I had a problem, thank God I got over that game.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I'd say without hesitation the SEGA Megadrive System!
It's fresh in my mind just like yesterday! I remember getting my certificate for primary school (was a big deal!) and was asked to choose my reward: a bike or the megadrive console. The dilemma only lasted (I made it last!) for 10 seconds lol.
With my new console and two cartridges (MK2 & Sonic) I would soon discover that new games cost money! So all my savings were kept for this purpose. So as a kid, my biggest investments were the megadrive games!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I built my first PC specifically for WoW and played that probably 4-5 years altogether, so that definitely ranks in at #1 top spender. That was back in the days when me and my nerd friends had time to all play it together at LAN parties or from home whenever. Call it $1700 altogether. Still like Warcraft 3 TFT more, and doesn't hurt that it cost so much less. :rofl:

#2 is harder to discern, likely has to be an early title for Vive though, since I bought that setup at $800. Windlands (double grappling-hook Spider-Man sim) probably edges out Space Pirate Trainer in that regard, even though the latter has had very impressive updates. So call it $830. Err...$930 with the deluxe audio strap. Worth every penny, especially considering my VR library is now over 100 games.

Last edited by Xzi,

Trappie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
League of legends...
6PFpCeG.png

Not sure how much exactly, but over the years (7) around 1.400 euro I think?
Not much if you realize that I spend 4.000 euro a month for house/ living.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As anybody that even vaguely follows games will know then most computer games cost money. How much money they cost can vary quite dramatically, even from person to person. For the industry is a very important topic as you will want to get the most money for your product, and different people have different "pain points" and understanding those will potentially see you make a lot more money than you otherwise might have.
This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss things to do with game design, aspects of play and other industry concepts. Today is Noctosphere's guest entry in the series.

Counting things like expansions, dlc, virtual currency, monthly payments, etc then what is the game you invested the most in?

Personally, I invested a lot in The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.
In total I invested over 400$ in the sims 4 over the years
I calculated, it's about 10$/month, which I think isn't that bad.

Previously we discussed times where people said gameplay styles would not work for a platform

Also under discussion are times you might have purchased a console for a single game, a large collection or peripherals or upgraded your PC again just for that one game. You might also want to compare it to games other than computer games, the obvious first start for many being collectible card games such as Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh and the Pokemon card game. Similarly have you waited for something to go on sale, hit the second hand market, get released as a gold/game of the year edition or something along those lines? Tiered pricing in games is also sort of on the way out, do you have any thoughts there?
I would have to say getting the clannad visual novel on every platform was the most expensive seeing the cheapest version is $40 and theres over 15 versions

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dragon Blaze by Flint, published by Gamevil. £2-3k. Crazy stupid amount to have spent but I had the money and i've enjoyed playing it which is what counts to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu