What is the firmware of an out of the box 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by gogas, Jan 14, 2015.

1. gogas
    OP

gogas Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hi i was thinking of buying a 3ds xl however i was wondering what is the formware they are shipping with now, is it possible it is higher than 9.2? I heard nintendo was stoping the production of the 3ds xl soon so i dont know...
    Any help would be apreciated
    BTW: I live in Europe

2. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    If you just buy one I'm pretty sure it will be below 9.2.

gogas likes this.
  3. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Nov 26, 2014
    Canada
    Underground
    Most definitely below 9.2, highly likely below 9.x in general. It takes a long time for them to clear stock and it sounds like they've halted production of the old 3ds consoles in preparation of the N3ds consoles.

gogas likes this.
  4. gogas
    OP

gogas Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    Thank you for clearing that up :lol:
    I guess i have no reasom not to buy one now

5. TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Feb 10, 2009
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Sorry for the bump, but I felt this would be better than starting a brand new thread to ask the same question.

I need a 3DS XL with firmware between 9.0.0-20 and 9.5.0-22, and I`m considering just going out to Best Buy and buying a brand new one. I was hoping a few recent purchasers (also in Canada, if possible) could tell me what the out-of-the-box firmware would be for units currently being sold in stores. Or is there a particular SN range I should be looking for.

6. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada

Why 9.5 ? Gateway doesn't support 9.5( in case you got the numbers confused), they only support 9.2 and LOWER.

You can buy pretty much any Old 3DS at this point, since they stopped production of them for now(because of new 3DS), which means 9.2+ units were never shipped.

7. TM2-Megatron

Feb 10, 2009
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I don`t have 3DS flashcart (at the moment, anyway); I just need a 3DS with firmware that`s compatible with the ram2sav method of dumping a Pokemon Gen VI save. I only just recently bought Y and OR (got out of the series for a while after getting bored with Gen V), and I wanted to be able to at least get the Mega Stone Torchic Wondercard that I missed out on when X and Y first came out. So I was hoping to be able to dump Y`s save, insert the Wondercard and then put the save back on my cartridge before continuing on with the game.

So, if no units sold at retail are above 9.2, are they at least guaranteed to be above 9.0 at this point?

8. tarovisions

tarovisions GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    Don't even think that they'd be higher than 9.0, probably 7.x-8.X at most for NiB. Could be wrong.

9. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Actually, I'd be shocked if you found one that is 9.0 - 9.2 new. It will almost certainly be 6.2-8.1

10. TM2-Megatron

Feb 10, 2009
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hm; that`s too bad. I guess I`ll have to try eBay or a local game store to get a used one, where I can confirm the system version before buying it.