• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

What is the end game with Covid?

Velorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the new normal. If you think Covid is bad, wait just a little longer for diseases that have been frozen in the Earth's glaciers for thousands of years to start spreading as the poles continue melting.

Reactions: Tarmfot and Xzi

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But... you brought up dems and Trump by name, not the Labour party and Boris. I'm certainly sorry that things weren't great in the UK either, yet this contradicts your speaking for the USA and what I presume is the global left, not the thing you say you can only speak for?
That was in response to someone saying that it all started with the new administration, so I was pointing out that I remember there was vaccine hesitancy (it was a CNN interview with Kamala Harris specifically) with the old administration too, and it just happened to be the same people who became advocates a minute after the election. As I've said before, I'm not into the whole left/right thing I think they're both equally corrupt, so when I speak in those terms it's just for clarity rather than some sort of agenda.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Someone shall gather the six infinity stones variants of covid and snap their finger, then everything shall be as it was before.

P.S.
Sorry about the bad joke, just couldn't resist given the title. I think it's a nice addition to the various wacky theories XD

Last edited by Reiten,

Dakitten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was in response to someone saying that it all started with the new administration, so I was pointing out that I remember there was vaccine hesitancy (it was a CNN interview with Kamala Harris specifically) with the old administration too, and it just happened to be the same people who became advocates a minute after the election. As I've said before, I'm not into the whole left/right thing I think they're both equally corrupt, so when I speak in those terms it's just for clarity rather than some sort of agenda.
This is all well and good (though again, easy to clear up as in my previous post), but I was just pointing out the contradiction in your statement. You often make a lot of simple mistakes while being assertive and hostile around these threads... not the best combination for building a reputation.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is all well and good (though again, easy to clear up as in my previous post), but I was just pointing out the contradiction in your statement. You often make a lot of simple mistakes while being assertive and hostile around these threads... not the best combination for building a reputation.
Ah, things are clearer now I see what's going on. Sorry, to disappoint but I'm not interested in that sort of game.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we are in a pandemic it seems. if you haven't noticed. the future is unclear. but i have questions.

• how are people going to get out of this mess if we all dont get vaccinated?
  • are we going to get lock downs every winter or every few months?
  • poorer nations not being able to deal money wise so new variants are being made, so should richer nations help them?
  • is this the new normal?
Covid is not going anywhere, that said its dangerous bite on people will diminish over time as mutations will weaken its nature into something akin to the normal cold/flu virus. Omnicron so far seems to be the least damaging variant thus far, while having a quick infection rate and spread has not had any damaging results turn up on those compared to the original variants. Sure, you will have mortality rates but just like with the flu this is unavoidable in those with compromised immune systems, older age or just playing russian roulette with your immune system and whatever BS cures you read up on facebook because you do not want to join in with the rest of society to accept science over political conspiracies.

The only one and true conspiracy is that news/media outlets fuel panic by utilizing shit like this because that is how media stays relevant. Its entertainment at the cost of sanity and morality. Pretty sure Don Henley's Dirty Laundry explains this best. Once the media finds something else to milk to death and back the constant reporting of covid will likely become old news. Its already losing interest with a lot of people as it is as most are just sick and tired of hearing about it now.

Anyone remember growing up in the early 00's remember how the news took everything about 9/11 and basically milked the fear of terror for months/years? Same concept more or less. When you have a big world changing event go down you milk that shit for everything its worth until the public is done caring about it. It's why I have stopped caring about most news media anymore, and I stay far FAR away from social media.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covid is not going anywhere, that said its dangerous bite on people will diminish over time as mutations will weaken its nature into something akin to the normal cold/flu virus. Omnicron so far seems to be the least damaging variant thus far, while having a quick infection rate and spread has not had any damaging results turn up on those compared to the original variants. Sure, you will have mortality rates but just like with the flu this is unavoidable in those with compromised immune systems, older age or just playing russian roulette with your immune system and whatever BS cures you read up on facebook because you do not want to join in with the rest of society to accept science over political conspiracies.

The only one and true conspiracy is that news/media outlets fuel panic by utilizing shit like this because that is how media stays relevant. Its entertainment at the cost of sanity and morality. Pretty sure Don Henley's Dirty Laundry explains this best. Once the media finds something else to milk to death and back the constant reporting of covid will likely become old news. Its already losing interest with a lot of people as it is as most are just sick and tired of hearing about it now.

Anyone remember growing up in the early 00's remember how the news took everything about 9/11 and basically milked the fear of terror for months/years? Same concept more or less. When you have a big world changing event go down you milk that shit for everything its worth until the public is done caring about it. It's why I have stopped caring about most news media anymore, and I stay far FAR away from social media.
or lets just say we would have to restart..
web-hero-plague-inc-switch-3.jpeg

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we are in a pandemic it seems. if you haven't noticed. the future is unclear. but i have questions.

• how are people going to get out of this mess if we all dont get vaccinated?
  • are we going to get lock downs every winter or every few months?
  • poorer nations not being able to deal money wise so new variants are being made, so should richer nations help them?
  • is this the new normal?
  1. :rofl:
  2. For now, probably. But I don't think for more than another year or so, when vaccine sales are low and big pharma needs to create a scare to boost sales.
  3. :rofl:Should? Of course, but they will only do enough to satisfy news coverage, and poorer nations will continue to suffer. Business as usual.
  4. Not new.
For the U.S. at least, it seems we're entering our "end game." Restrictions are being loosened up, travel is being opened up. Time to let it spread again, so they can up the need for more vaccinations. Once they make another few firesales over the next two or three years, we'll likely see the "vaccine(s)" become like a regular flu shot that's seasonal.

Reactions: Flame

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be nice if people understood that vaccines are just a highly effective preventative measure that neither 100% prevent illnesses nor treat them. That helps segue into a conversation as to why it’s important to get vaccinated and how prevention actually works

I would disagree, because that's pretty much exactly what vaccines always did ... before the Covid19 vaccine didn't. Typhoid, rubella, measles, mumps, polio, and especially smallpox were all effectively eliminated by vaccines. That will never happen with Covid19. They probably shouldn't have called it a 'vaccine' in the first place, to avoid that expectation. Just like we don't call the annual influenza thing a vaccine. We call it a "shot." Get your flu shot. That's what should have been done with Covid19. Get your flu shot, get your covid shot. If it had just been called a 'covid shot' I think we wouldn't be seeing the resistance today that has come from calling it a vaccine, when it obviously isn't effective to the level people expect from a vaccine.

I am all dosed up and boosted fwiw. I think most of the mask wearing that people do (except for real disease control level N95's and such) is nothing more than theater, virtue signalling, and a mass public coping mechanism, like a therapy pet. It lets people "do something." Like wrapping up in chicken wire to prevent mosquito bites. But for someone like me who is 54yo the "vaccines" are real protection. You just have to understand the limitations of what they are. They are not "vaccines" in the same meaning of that word that I grew up with.

I just wish it would end.

It will never really "end." At least, the virus will never go away. It will just fade into the mess of viral infections that float and migrate about and kill a few people every year*, just like flu and other viral infections alway have. The virus that caused a million deaths in 1968-69 (pandemic was still going on when Woodstock happened) is still out there. The Spanish flu that killed millions in 1918 is still out there. Covid19 will be the same.

What has to end is people fearing it at the cost of just living a normal life. I'm already there, been there for a while. It is over whenever you want it to be, you just have to deal with self-righteous people who think they know better and still want it to go on, and on, and on (even though their 'measures' don't seem to be keeping the virus from running the same course it always would have).

*60,000 a year from flu, just in the USA, was normal before Covid19 came along.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Virus goes Endemic. Says the Virus cant be beaten because of the ability of permanent mutation against immunity and the loosing vaccination protection after some time. It will stay in some Region like Malaria or Cholera. We will have new variants where we need vacianate if a new cycle starts. We will need to live with it like new a flu that cames every Year and we need vacianated.

So the Nations try to make everyone vacian per Law. So u only can enter a Sportstudio or big Hall with many people, only if your vacianed and tested negativ or boosted. Says, If u want a "normal" live u need regulary vacinated. Else u are a outsider.

Last edited by Sypherone,
  • Sad
Reactions: Alexander1970

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Virus goes Endemic. Says the Virus cant be beaten because of the ability of permanent mutation against immunity and the loosing vaccination protection after some time. It will stay in some Region like Malaria or Cholera. We will have new variants where we need vacianate if a new cycle starts. We will need to live with it like new a flu that cames every Year and we need vacianated.

So the Nations try to make everyone vacian per Law. So u only can enter a Sportstudio or big Hall with many people, only if your vacianed and tested negativ or boosted. Says, If u want a "normal" live u need regulary vacinated. Else u are a outsider.
or just move to a state that doesnt have nazi like laws. not every state is pro forced vax.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
or just move to a state that doesnt have nazi like laws. not every state is pro forced vax.
Ya then go there, try to hide and wish that u dont ever get in touch with this f**** Virus that has a exponential infection rate, that infects everyone and may causes u a live long lung damage, in worst case death.

The latest Variant Omikron cames from Southafrika over the world. Maybe it says hey stop i go around.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun