What is the easiest way

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by pacaveli, Jun 28, 2007.

Jun 28, 2007

What is the easiest way by pacaveli at 2:23 AM (1,056 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. pacaveli
    OP

Newcomer pacaveli Member

United States
    to edit text in a nds rom if there is an easy way please let me know as i have several japanese roms (including zelda the phantom hourglass) and id translate them and give them to you guys
    thx for the info in advance

2. lilfrankie

Member lilfrankie GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Ha.
    Haha.
    Funny.

So, you are not joking?! Well, it's really (and I mean REALLY, REALLY, REALLY) not that simple to translate a rom. You should use your search-button and find a few tutorials on how to translate. If by that time your not like "ZOMFGBBQ WTF!1?!", you could share it with us, but I guess Nintendo will beat you with the translation. [​IMG]

I know how you feel, cause I had the same situation a while ago [​IMG] I didn't really know how translation work, and my reaction was kinda like the one above. That's why I still don't know it really, although I know it's (to) much work.

Hope you will (unlike me [​IMG] ) succeed, and we all can get a Zelda english version earlier than a Nintendo's release. XD

3. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    If you want to translate something, you have to rip the text, translate it, and reinsert it.

But if you want to translate games, go help the Jump Ultimate Stars project >_>.

4. pacaveli
    OP

Newcomer pacaveli Member

United States
    how do i go about ripping the text and reinserting when im done

5. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    You can't even type English grammar; how are you supposed to type Japanese grammar?

Anyway, I'll humour (humor) you.

Steps:

1. Unpack ROM data with ndstool
    2. Look for Data files. most likely they will be compressed with lz compresssion
    3. Decompress said data files
    4. Find text.
    5. Edit text
    6. Disassemble the main executable.
    7. Write a variable width font routine
    8. Repack ROM with ndstool

Steps 6 and 7 are optional, but make the whole thing look nice.

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    why is everyone so rude to this guy i mean give him a break. If he wants to do so let him do it no need to criticize before it's even done.
    Go dude do it and am wooting for u

7. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    hmm shiro, from this point on, I'm going to consider you banned.
    anyone who can't wait for nintendo to translate the game and would rather head the project themselves is either obsessed with grammar, or an idiot.
    It's pretty easy to see AF accurately identified which pacaveli falls into.

and since you're in the mood of reading people like a high school counselor dreaming of one day meeting dr phil, I'm gonna go ahead and read you.
    You're the type that bump your own annoying questions within the day, then bag on someone for doing the same thing, the type that says talking down to people will get you nowhere and then you do so in the next paragraph.
    the type of person who invests as the good guy because your wagon is destined to fail, and you know you can pitch the blame on the ride down.
    basically, a hypocrite only looking out for number 1 [​IMG]

8. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Oh no! I've been insulted on the internet!

9. pacaveli
    OP

Newcomer pacaveli Member

United States
    listen here its not that i'm impatient or anything i just want to learn how to do this so when a game comes out that i want that WONT be translated by nintendo i can have a pretty decent feel for the game rather than reading japanese

and to arctic who cares how i type online but i see your point
    also thank you your the only one who posted anything remotely useful