Hacking Question What is the difference between the SX OS and Atmosphere currently?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
sounds good, might look into it.
so those that'd update to 7.x only lose SX cfw support and can still use atmo right? if so that is sweet.

also regarding the overclocking, it can only be used with atmo? is it safe to use? im getting some slight lags with VC4 , would love to try OC with that game.
Yes you can!

ArgonNX is easier than Hekate to setup, but Hekate is more powerful (you can however boot Hekate via ArgonNX if you so wish ;))

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Yes you can!

ArgonNX is easier than Hekate to setup, but Hekate is more powerful (you can however boot Hekate via ArgonNX if you so wish ;))
i never heard of argonnx thing, i havent been following much of switch hax scene as i was content with the usage of sx, but it seems that now open source atmo is the better option for me.. i like the feel of being able to shut down (properly) my switch from time to time now, but does AutoRCM still stick ..? if so then sweet i will make the switch asap.

hmm lastly, i guess if i were to update to 7.x i can say goodbye to sx for the time being right? but could still use atmo cfw just fine no?
im interested in the OC thing and the 'better cheat' function, i asked this before but got no answer, does the cheating method work similarly to how SX's does? thx in advance.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To get XCI loading, you need some copyrighted stuff, so that's not happening any time soon.

You can probably do it in a way that doesn't require you to use anything copyrightable, as things like keys and certificates can't be copyrighted. Some people appear to be too cautious and assume that everything can be copyrighted, when that is far from true.

DMCA violations on the other hand are hard to avoid, they prevent you from decrypting copyrighted content without permission (something that atmosphere does out of the box when it loads horizon btw).

Last edited by smf,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
so those that'd update to 7.x only lose SX cfw support and can still use atmo right? if so that is sweet.

also regarding the overclocking, it can only be used with atmo? is it safe to use? im getting some slight lags with VC4 , would love to try OC with that game.
Yup. Atmo, kosmos and reinx work on 7.0.X.
It can be used with any CFW which supports kips (I think it is a kip, can't remamber now). It is "safe" but sh!t happens sometimes.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
i never heard of argonnx thing, i havent been following much of switch hax scene as i was content with the usage of sx, but it seems that now open source atmo is the better option for me.. i like the feel of being able to shut down (properly) my switch from time to time now, but does AutoRCM still stick ..? if so then sweet i will make the switch asap.

hmm lastly, i guess if i were to update to 7.x i can say goodbye to sx for the time being right? but could still use atmo cfw just fine no?
im interested in the OC thing and the 'better cheat' function, i asked this before but got no answer, does the cheating method work similarly to how SX's does? thx in advance.
Yes, let me break it down to easier words.

ArgonNX looks like this:
example.png

Each time you boot your Switch (with TegraRCM or whatever you wish) ArgonNX will boot up.
If you have configued it correctly, you will have options like this example.

It's much easier to update the payloads than using things seperate.

IF you update to 7.x (no need to do for now) yes, SX will not function anymore.
Yes the cheat function works just as same, I would recommend you use Edizon for the cheats, it works like a charm! However you MUST boot Atmosphere 0.8.5 to get it to work. I'm not sure Hekate got it working yet.

ReiNX latest nightly works with 7.X using the Sept as Atmosphere uses.

AutoRCM will still stick if you update to 7.X using ChoiDujourNX and keep the option for AutoRCM.

But if you wanna make it the most easy for you, run with the Kosmos package.
They include all you need, with Hekate as the bootloader.

https://github.com/AtlasNX/Kosmos/releases

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
IF you update to 7.x (no need to do for now) yes, SX will not function anymore.

IF you are planning to update to 7.x - create emuNAND first at say firmware 6.2 and update your sysNAND - SX OS will then still work with emuNAND at 6.2 and official firmware for atmos etc. at 7.x

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
But if you wanna make it the most easy for you, run with the Kosmos package.
They include all you need, with Hekate as the bootloader.
this looks great, but its based of atmos only right? id like the ability to 'switch' between the fws with that argonnx thing, that looks abit cooler! but also is there no issue going back to sx/atmo(and maybe trying out reinx etc.
is it safe? will it not affect anything?

also can you tell me abit more of how cheating works with atmo pls, like is it the same folder structure but i have to place them into the 'sd:root/atmosphere'? and also do you load them the same way as SX (from loading album whilst you have your game running.)

jajamundo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You already read about all the pros and cons of every CFW.

The main reason I still using SX OS is because emunand. I can have my sysnand with all my retail games and play online and a emunand with all my XCI and NSP installed.

I understand that for the moment it dont have a 7.x.x support, but right know it doesnt matter. We can still playing smash for example.

So every CFW has its pros and cons, you can start using wich one you really like

Reactions: Deleted User

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

SX supports 7.0.1 but will need to setup emunand 6.2. Backup sysnand 7.0.1, take advantage of Atmosphere to downgrade sysnand to 6.2 using Choi, create emunand of your choice (3 types) then restore backup of sysnand 7.01 back on.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
SX supports 7.0.1 but will need to setup emunand 6.2. Backup sysnand 7.0.1, take advantage of Atmosphere to downgrade sysnand to 6.2 using Choi, create emunand of your choice (3 types) then restore backup of sysnand 7.01 back on.
yeah im aware of that emu stuff, but i dont need it.
and it takes up too much space so i will stay away from it.
thx for the suggestion <3

@linuxares i already set things up for argonnx its sweet.
all dandy, i will try the other cfws to see how it goes, also when i tap power off from the argon menu it powers it the right way correct? i just tapped on it, i will power it back on later to see if the drain is very little (then i know it has been powered off) finally i can power it off the right way if that works, then sweet.

wish i knew about this cool stuff earlier.
oh well now i know!

Reactions: linuxares

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
BUT can you install updates? i heard it will create tickets is you install updates.

Custom XCI (including update, dlc) won't install any tickets even install it as NSP. We can build non-ticket custom NSP as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yeah im aware of that emu stuff, but i dont need it.
and it takes up too much space so i will stay away from it.
thx for the suggestion <3

@linuxares i already set things up for argonnx its sweet.
all dandy, i will try the other cfws to see how it goes, also when i tap power off from the argon menu it powers it the right way correct? i just tapped on it, i will power it back on later to see if the drain is very little (then i know it has been powered off) finally i can power it off the right way if that works, then sweet.

wish i knew about this cool stuff earlier.
oh well now i know!

FYI, the smallest emunand is 5GB. You won't lose any space at all because you can install NSP to the system of emunand.

Reactions: gizmomelb

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think the most important difference for an average joe end user with a virgin Switch is that SX OS allows to have CFW running on an SD card while the system NAND stays clean so you can buy and play legit games online. Too many have been banned pre-emunand and this doesn’t need to happen in a time it is avoidable with emunand.

As of now, if you’re on the latest firmware (7.X) I suggest waiting a couple weeks to see if Executer can figure out 7.X and if not, wait until Atmo figures out emunand and then jump to the atmo bandwagon.

WarSpaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'd actually change from SX in a heartbeat if I had .xci loading on atmosphere. I really like how I can just put custom .xci files with updates baked in on my SD and then be ready to play.

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6003 via Tapatalk

Reactions: DaBlackDeath

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Custom XCI (including update, dlc) won't install any tickets even install it as NSP. We can build non-ticket custom NSP as well.

Thanks Thaikhoa, summed it up for me perfectly.

THESE are the reasons SX OS users keep harping on about XCI, emuNAND and USB loading (actual loading and RUNNING the XCI direct from USB.. not just install from USB like other CFW and installers support).

That is why until we absolutely have to switch to another CFW, we will keep on asking for those features to be added to other CFW - because once you've used them for a while, you'll never want to go back.. and it's also why those that HAVE never used them cannot see the use of them.

But it's simple.. if you don't think you need or want those featues and want 7.x compliance - then use Atmosphere. Easy.

As I said in my detailed summary previously in this thread - would I recommend buying SX OS NOW, without 7.x?

No, unless you're happy keeping your emuNAND on firmware 6.2 forever and original firmware on 7.0.1 forever.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Very informative post, I love it

yes the usual trolls keep trying to interject, but it seems the admins are actively all over it in this thread at least.

Last edited by gizmomelb,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)