What is the Difference between PAL and NTSC games

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by ~Wiiloader~, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ~Wiiloader~
    OP

Member ~Wiiloader~ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's the main difference between PAL and NTSC games?
    do PAL or NTSC games have better frame rate or less flickering or better graphics or what ewer...... i mean, what one have that other wersion doesn't?

Or are they exactly the SAME with just different region code? [​IMG]

2. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    havent heard of any frame rate differences or anything.
    Its essentially the same, except different region code.

PAL is a formate used in the EU/Australia.
    NTSC is used in US regions.

3. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    PAL is for Europe. They are weird and use 25 frames per second rather than 24 frames per second. Hence the flickering issue on a NTSC TV.

4. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    other differences used to be that pal games that ran in 50htz instead of 60 htz which added black boarders to pal games but that was quashed out with the dreamcast when it brought it in the 60 htz option. I believe the americans did get better speeds as in fps but the pal region could end up with better looking games due to resolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMXA7FpR_U

that video there demontrates the speed issue

now a days things tend to be more equal in terms of speed and visual quality, just as someone said before one happens to be the region code for certain areas now, although the hdtv was supposed to do away with most region coding anyway

5. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    +1 to clarky - it matters more when your game was made. I will mention though the vast majority of European televisions made in the last three odd decades will support 60Hz if not straight up NTSC video. US TVs not so much.

What I came to say though is there are many notable occasions of Eu releases have bugfixes and other nice things especially if you are not playing it in English (US games with French and Spanish options have occasionally suffered terrible translations that were awesome, granted in European dialects, when they appeared in Europe) and this is more common when they get later releases (sadly something that is not necessarily a thing of the past).
    On the flip side where the US release might have Japanese audio retained to account for the extra space European games have a nasty habit of dropping Japanese audio.

In general this side of the 16 bit era if you have a TV that can do it and you have the choice I would probably go with the European version every time.

7. lufere7

Member lufere7 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Also, no more heroes is censored in PAL version. It has no blood :l

8. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    True, apparently the game runs smoother too due to not having to render the blood