What is the difference between a DSIware .nds and a DS game .nds?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by GalladeGuy, Apr 3, 2016.

1. GalladeGuy
    OP

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Before you go and spread all of your hate in the comments because of all the n00bs asking about DS injection, at least read what I have to say.

So I understand that we can't install DS games to the home menu because they're different then DSIware. The thing I don't understand is what makes them so different. Is it some kind of special header? Or something else? And what was the deal about that WarioWare DS on 3DS VC thing?

Last edited by GalladeGuy, Apr 4, 2016
    CatmanFan, Ev1l0rd and LuigiXL like this.
  2. Nathan's Waifu

Nathan's Waifu Banned

Banned
    Apr 3, 2016
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Well, you can launch games with the DS(NTR) header under the home menu if it isn't blocked by the whitelist. The header is not the issue.

But DS games read from a cart, so it will just hang if made into a CIA, unless the cartridge of the same DS game is inserted.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The WarioWare Touched! and Advanced Wars CIAs were made into DSiWare by special tools by Nintendo :P

Ryccardo likes this.
  3. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    They have the same game files in them, mainly, but the actual code has been recompiled for DSi to run off the NAND, and won't run in most DS emulators.

Last edited by CeeDee, Apr 3, 2016
    Rizzorules likes this.
  4. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    Plus only so much can fit in the TWL_firm partition. For example only DP can fit because PT/HGSS/BW/BW2 are too big

5. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    That's partially correct.
    When I tried launching DS cia games from my home menu, it would crash if no DS cart was inserted.
    BUT!
    If any DS cart was inserted, it would simply launch that game, not the game installed to the home menu.

Last edited by Supster131, Apr 3, 2016
  6. GalladeGuy
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    What if we could somehow trick the home menu into thinking we have that DS card in the 3DS when we launch the CIA version? Would that be possible?

7. MsMidnight

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    Due to some slot-1 shit amirite

8. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Yeah, that slot-1 shit is what inspired Apache Thunder's TWL launcher, it's the same concept. Just with the game and all the copyrighted stuff removed from the code.

9. MsMidnight

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    No it reads directly from Slot-1 so for example if I had a Diamond cartridge in my cart slot and launched a pokemon Pearl cia, it would launch Diamond from the cart (I think that's how it goes)

10. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    if someone with amazing coding skills were to try I bet they could do that, but then the issue of limited space still persists and you can only have like 1 ds game on your nand. At that point "whoo hoo yay ds games works" but what's the point when a flash card with a larger micro SD card can play many more games in comparison.

11. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Yup, on point.
    Only real way to make this possible would be if Nintendo released DS games on the eShop.
    Then we'd be able to do the same shit we did with GBA games.

MattKimura and LuigiXL like this.
  12. GalladeGuy
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    So what if we installed a tiny "placeholder" DS game to NAND? Then we could install a CIA homebrew (to SD) that would tell the console that an nds file on the SD Card is in Slot-1, and then launch the "placeholder" DS game, thus launching the spoofed Slot-1. Its a pretty absurd idea, but you never know what will work.

Last edited by GalladeGuy, Apr 3, 2016
  13. Uziskull

Uziskull Picture may not be real

Nov 15, 2015
    Portugal
    Somewhere, probably
    You got the concept down, that's the idea we all have.
    Good luck learning to code something to do that.

14. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    How would the placeholder DS game read from the spoofed Slot-1? How could it see and read from the spoofed one instead of just launching from the standard Slot-1?

15. zezzo

zezzo The "Black Ace"

Sep 14, 2015
    United States
    What data would it read from? I think it would still crash.

16. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    Can´t we make a cia of a game maybe a r4 launcher(having an r4 inserted) to launch from the menu that actually say r4 and not another game just for fun?

17. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    IIRC @Apache Thunder did something like that. He mainly did it for flashcarts that never worked with the 3DS, though, so I doubt it'd work with, say, your R4i Gold cards that still work on 3DS.

18. Rioluwott

Rioluwott GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2014
    Mexico
    Some people in this thread said that if you have Y DS game inserted and you boot a X DS game cia it will boot into Y game so we could make a homebrew that says
    R4 and a custom icon that say r4 and maybe a nice banner that say that too and make it to cia insert the R4 and boot that cia into the R4

19. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Yes, you could. Apache made a "TWL Slot 1 Launcher" and all that would need to be done is change the banner on that to an R4 banner.

Seriel likes this.
  20. dude22072

dude22072 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    United States
    They have released a DS game on the eShop, warioware: touched. It's available through My Nintendo, but no one has enough points for it yet. Even with doing all the missions and the 200 coin bonus for previously having club Nintendo I'm still around 4 weeks from having enough coins.