Hardware Misc What is the coolest original DS feature?

• Thread starter SLG
  • Start date
  • Views 2,210
  • Replies 32
  • Likes 4

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Entropy Trap
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah game updates have really been both good and bad for the industry. Though Region free was a thing on every Nintendo handheld except the 3DS.
The DSi was also not region-free.

Reactions: Tarmfot

signer-ink-beast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Commenting on Download Play: Not only was it great for local multiplayer, but even for playing demos of games other people were playing, and vice versa. A lot of games included a demo you could send to another console via Download Play.

In the days before Internet became ubiquitous, that was awesome. No need to pay to rent a game, and the owner didn't need to part with their full copy of the game. Even better when crossing paths with strangers. I later bought quite a few games I enjoyed the demo of, and ignored the ones I didn't.

Plus I know of at least one Wii game, Geometry Wars Galaxies, that can send a demo of the DS version of the game to DS consoles. I played the Wii game first, then tried out the demo on my DS to see if I could actually play it and enjoy it. The controls made me skeptical at first, but they were easy to pick up, and the game was equally a blast.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's the first Nintendo handheld with stereo speakers (Not discounting or discrediting the Game and Watch games, if they had it), and they're fairly loud compared to any stock Gameboy model!

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
Commenting on Download Play: Not only was it great for local multiplayer, but even for playing demos of games other people were playing, and vice versa. A lot of games included a demo you could send to another console via Download Play.

In the days before Internet became ubiquitous, that was awesome. No need to pay to rent a game, and the owner didn't need to part with their full copy of the game. Even better when crossing paths with strangers. I later bought quite a few games I enjoyed the demo of, and ignored the ones I didn't.

Plus I know of at least one Wii game, Geometry Wars Galaxies, that can send a demo of the DS version of the game to DS consoles. I played the Wii game first, then tried out the demo on my DS to see if I could actually play it and enjoy it. The controls made me skeptical at first, but they were easy to pick up, and the game was equally a blast.

The interaction between the ds and the wii was not sufficiently exploited.

Ds could be used as a controller for games using wifi.
No need classic controller for VC games.

And its touchscreen and microphone for wii...

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The use of dual screens as a "book".
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

And Hotel dusk and the like. Dragon Sword was quite interesting, but even more challenging in typical Ninja Gaiden fashion.

Not "unique" or "original", but having at long last X and Y added to a Nintendo Handheld was rather nice, it certainly helped to expand on the types of games you could design.

Another function that seems to not be mentioned here even if it's one of the simplest and most used ones is being able to pause at any moment by simply closing the system. Being able to just stop playing at any moment, and continue later on exactly at that same spot without turning on the console AND wasting far less battery during that period of time compared to just have the system running while turned on was pretty great, no longer needing to either rush to a save point which might not be near or maybe it wasn't possible to save at that moment at all, write down passwords (which a significant number of GB and several GBA games still had), or just accept it and lose your progress.

And the demos you could download from Wii on your NDS was pretty fun too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    babycomingsh @ babycomingsh: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?abbucket=6&id=725608874081&ns=1&pisk=g57qHzjKSrUq7tzBNQLwTIcDoiY...