KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In my opinion: None.
There is no data connection and the proprietary port is not compatible with any standard USB plug/cable.

Considering questions like this one, I'll just take the opportunity to friendly warn you: Do not do anything stupid – or your next thread might have a title like: "I accidentally […] and now the charging port is broken."

A question that gave me some worries: https://gbatemp.net/threads/installing-b9s-via-usb-connection.629383/
Wait… you asked a very similar thing before: https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-the-3ds-serial-pins-be-used.629257/

With adapters 3DS can be charged with USB. I know of no reported problems despite the nominal voltage of USB being slightly higher.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In my opinion: None.
There is no data connection and the proprietary port is not compatible with any standard USB plug/cable.

Considering questions like this one, I'll just take the opportunity to friendly warn you: Do not do anything stupid – or your next thread might have a title like: "I accidentally […] and now the charging port is broken."

A question that gave me some worries: https://gbatemp.net/threads/installing-b9s-via-usb-connection.629383/
Wait… you asked a very similar thing before: https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-the-3ds-serial-pins-be-used.629257/

With adapters 3DS can be charged with USB. I know of no reported problems despite the nominal voltage of USB being slightly higher.
He's probably asking because he probably wants to replace it with a standardized connection and wants one that will fit the existing hole without cutting the case.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Replacing a working connector just because of "No more additional special charger!!"? No, thanks.

I know it sucks that Nintendo chose to use some proprietary nonsense port instead of a standard one. I still fail finding any appeal in tinkering with 3DS hardware without having to. If it is not broken, don't attempt to fix it.

Reactions: CoolMe

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Replacing a working connector just because of "No more additional special charger!!"? No, thanks.

I know it sucks that Nintendo chose to use some proprietary nonsense port instead of a standard one. I still fail finding any appeal in tinkering with 3DS hardware without having to. If it is not broken, don't attempt to fix it.
USB C is "one cable standard, for everything."
I convert everything I have to USB C if it's easy enough. For everything else I have that takes Micro USB, I just use magnetic tipped USB cables. Like on all of my controllers that have both plug types, PS4 and PS5 for example. The same cable charges them both, and I don't have to worry about the connector getting snapped off either.

Proprietary connectors can fuck off and die already.

PigletTubeYT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Is there a dongle out there that plugs in to the 3DS Charging port and plug in a usb-c into the dongle to charge the 3DS?

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a dongle out there that plugs in to the 3DS Charging port and plug in a usb-c into the dongle to charge the 3DS?

Look I don't off the top of my head but I highly doubt it, I seriously doubt theres the demand to make it commercially viable. You could very easily make one though if you really wanted.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you are refering to something where it plugs into current charging port and then into a usb port on a pc. then yes. there are cables for sale that are made like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over