Misc What is the cheapest way to get my DS on the internets?

theplasmastorm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a router running on WPA2 and stuff, and my poor little ds isn't compatible with the security. I've been tuning it down to WEP so that my ds could connect, but I've always been paranoid about my router being raped by some random black-van-hacker that I'll only do it near midnight for only a few minutes (I would then turn it back to WPA2).

I don't think my laptop is equipped with whatever special chip it needs for it to broadcast signals that my ds can read. Intel PRO wireless 3945ABG
Nintendo's official wifi usb thing was discontinued and I was thinking about buying some third party one. I'm just afraid that my ds won't recognize it for whatever reason... I've looked on ebay and they're fairly cheap anyways.

Anyone had any luck with some inexpensive 3rd party usb thingy?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the official Nintendo one.

It works fine... just the internet speed is so slow it is painful to use... so I never use it...

PlayAsia sell a third party one, and the reviews may tell you if it works or not...

sn0wfish

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
just be careful though.. some of them is a pain to get working. Like my Datel WifiMax
hate2.gif

Edit: If you're afraid of the using WEP, maybe you could lock the connection with the DS's MAC address? So only your DS could connect to the router?

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How come the NDS Lite dosent support WPA, I tried doing it but it keeps rejecting my ds. I can switch between both types but its quite painful

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sn0wfish said:
just be careful though.. some of them is a pain to get working. Like my Datel WifiMax
hate2.gif

Edit: If you're afraid of the using WEP, maybe you could lock the connection with the DS's MAC address? So only your DS could connect to the router?

Doesn't do much, there's little to stop someone changing their MAC address to that of your DS.

You can also turn off SSID broadcasting, but again i'm not really sure it would slow down a determined hacker.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If they're doing anything but reading a "how to hack WEP" tutorial on youtube or whateverthefuck, then MAC filtering and hiding the SSID won't stop it... then again if you're targeted by an actual hacker, either they're just going to use you as an internet source while parked outside (or whatever), in which case you have no worry, or they're actually after your ass, in which case you have a lot more to worry about than your wireless security method.

If you're paranoid, change it to WEP, and once a day check in your router's settings for the DHCP table. That shows every computer and device that's currently connected to your network one way or another, and IIRC DHCP leases last for 24 hours by default (at least on a standard linksys router), and you can usually change that setting. If it's at the default 24 hours, then on that list you will see any machine that connected to your network in the past 24 hours.

Popular security suites such as norton and such can interfere with those USB wireless devices, which I think is a reason nintendo stopped selling them, since nintendo can't very well tell your parents "You have to get rid of your virus protection so your kids can play online video games".

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're really worried, buy a second cheap wireless router.

Have your main router using WPA2, and the second using WEP. When you want to use WiFI on your DS power on second router, and then switch it off when you are finished. Enable MAC filtering and it should perfectly secure as long as your DS is connected to it, as every MAC address connected must be unique. They won't be able to change to your MAC address until your DS disconnects from the router, and by then you would have already powered off the router.

It's the simplest solution, otherwise see if a neighbour has a router using WEP security...

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
Twoacross said:
How come the NDS Lite dosent support WPA, I tried doing it but it keeps rejecting my ds. I can switch between both types but its quite painful
The short and simple answer is it doesn't. Medium answer, Nintendo only made it WEP.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
money wise i recommend a wireless AP router

why? if you sum it up all, the electricity that you used while computer is on vs a AP router. Router is obviously will save electricity and less hassle to make a connection to internet (router do those jobs to be ready to connect to the internet)

while PC is, you need to launch necessary application for to be able AP to be ready. Or worst you might need to mess up a little on your PC's network configuration and might lead to trouble if you done something wrong. (while router, if theres somethings wrong.. reset function will do the trick)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16