Hardware What is the cheapest Graphics Card I can upgrade to run PCSX2?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 8,749
  • Replies 23

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I was able to get this game running at full speed but only through software rendering & the graphics were super pixelated whenever you got remotely close to NPCs (Even in 3rd person view). I could be wrong but it seems to be the main bottleneck for my setup is the poor GPU, in which case I would like to know what my cheapest option would be as far as upgrading my GPU would be in order to play the aforementioned game at it's standard resolution? The Benchmark site indicated that my other specs are fine but if you believe there is a worthy/cheap upgrade to play this game in particular, then I am all ears. Whenever I tried looking for parts I cannot help but gravitate towards the higher end upgrades which obviously would be overkill and far more than I can afford at this time, I have no idea what would be the precise upgrade to suit my particular needs, I really need any advice I can get.

Thank you in advance to all of you whom are able to help me.

Hello.:)

From NVIDIA side the cheapest useable solution is the GT 1030.:)
The maximal usable resolution is 1280x720 for games,everything higher is to hard for this card (of the 64-Bit Memory Interface).
For your CPU a good combination.
(I do not use/have ATI/AMD cards so I can not give a recommendation.)

Thank you.:)

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Hello.:)

From NVIDIA side the cheapest useable solution is the GT 1030.:)
The maximal usable resolution is 1280x720 for games,everything higher is to hard for this card (of the 64-Bit Memory Interface).
For your CPU a good combination.
(I do not use/have ATI/AMD cards so I can not give a recommendation.)

Thank you.:)

I tried to find the NVIDIA GT 1030 but I am confused as there appear to be multiple versions of it and it is unclear which one you intended to suggest. Could you provide me a link to the variant you have in mind?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I tried to find the NVIDIA GT 1030 but I am confused as there appear to be multiple versions of it and it is unclear which one you intended to suggest. Could you provide me a link to the variant you have in mind?

Since they not using much Power (they also do not need an extra Power connector to the PSU) they get not really hot BUT recommended for Gaming one with an FAN:

https://www.amazon.de/Gigabyte-GV-N1030D5-2GL-PCIE3-GDDR5-1227MHZ/dp/B071DY2VJR/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=nvidia+gt1030&qid=1565127510&s=gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.de/Zotac-GeForce-Grafikkarte-Base-Takt-Boost-Takt/dp/B0711NWFJX/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=nvidia+gt1030&qid=1565127510&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.de/MSI-1030-AERO-ITX-2GD4/dp/B07CMDCNH7/ref=sr_1_13?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=nvidia+gt1030&qid=1565127510&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Sadly there are NEWER revisions from each model,different mainly of DDR4 instead of GDDR5 Memory Chips.A lot slower.....:(

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well tbh The CPU matters more than anything for emulation. Your gl plugin has a setting for rendering that is best changed depending on your graphics card (which does matter ,but not as much). Also if you haven't turn on multicore in the settings of pcsx2 (and download the llatest dev version 1.5.x)
unless you have a mad old gpu

Last edited by Mythical,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to get this game running at full speed but only through software rendering & the graphics were super pixelated whenever you got remotely close to NPCs (Even in 3rd person view). I could be wrong but it seems to be the main bottleneck for my setup is the poor GPU, in which case I would like to know what my cheapest option would be as far as upgrading my GPU would be in order to play the aforementioned game at it's standard resolution? The Benchmark site indicated that my other specs are fine but if you believe there is a worthy/cheap upgrade to play this game in particular, then I am all ears. Whenever I tried looking for parts I cannot help but gravitate towards the higher end upgrades which obviously would be overkill and far more than I can afford at this time, I have no idea what would be the precise upgrade to suit my particular needs, I really need any advice I can get.

Thank you in advance to all of you whom are able to help me.
if you havent found a deal for a graphics card yet, send me a pm. I have a gtx 960 4GB I am not using that I am getting rid of for a cheap price if you would like it.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Then what do you suggest that's in budget? Certainly not an AMD card, as PCSX2 likes nVidia cards more, I hear.
I'm saying instead of a 1660, bring up the other components to a competent level.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Honestly, I want to do a lot of research and build OP a cpu+mobo+ram combo with used server hardware for DIRT cheap, and get him/her a Nvidia GT/X 7XX or 9XX gpu all under 200 usd.

Last edited by raystriker,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm saying instead of a 1660, bring up the other components to a competent level.

Honestly, I want to do a lot of research and build OP a cpu+mobo+ram combo with used server hardware for DIRT cheap, and get him/her a Nvidia GT/X 7XX or 9XX gpu for under 200 usd.

And even that which is best case scenario would cost 3 or 4 times more than just buying a PS2.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was able to get this game running at full speed but only through software rendering & the graphics were super pixelated whenever you got remotely close to NPCs (Even in 3rd person view).
Maybe I'm missing something, but Isn't that exactly how it's supposed to look, even on original hardware? Any texture will look "super pixelated" when you get close enough to it, and if I'm not mistaken there is not yet a way to automatically upscale low-res textures in a PS2 emulator.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As other users here have stated, the main bottleneck for your system w.r.t. emulation will be your CPU. Upgrading to a discrete GPU will not have much effect.

You really don't need that powerful a GPU at all to render those old games - they use extremely simple graphics by comparison to today's games.

D

Deleted User

OP
The nice folks at the PCSX2 Discord Server helped me make this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8hPTdX
I want to thank you all for your advice, if any of you has any thoughts or feedback to share regarding this particular build (improvements/cheaper replacements, etc) I am all ears. I already have storage and Windows 10 license that is why they are not added before anyone ask.

Thanks again everyone

Just get a PS2 with network adapter and hdd, and Logitech wireless controller. That would be cheaper than any graphics card by a large amount.

I should have clarified, I already have a hacked 5000 Phat Ps2+Sata Adapter mod & all the goodies, it's just that SMT Nocturne (with Hard Type hack) crashes in random battles despite the game being 99% compatible otherwise when run on original hardware. After sinking 30 hours on my hacked ps4 and encountering a game breaking glitch (Which is identical on PCSX2, only in this case there is no known command to force 0 Clamping) and a failed attempt to extract the save file I had to cut my play through short =(. That said, my main reason for wanting PCSX2 to run is to conquer this game hack, it is so enjoyably challenging and was clearly so lovingly constructed, that and the vanilla game is a masterpiece IMO. Of course I also have been meaning to upgrade to a better build for nearly a decade so whatever build I settle on will realistically help me accomplish that goal as well.

Reactions: Alexander1970

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The nice folks at the PCSX2 Discord Server helped me make this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8hPTdX
I want to thank you all for your advice, if any of you has any thoughts or feedback to share regarding this particular build (improvements/cheaper replacements, etc) I am all ears. I already have storage and Windows 10 license that is why they are not added before anyone ask.

Thanks again everyone
Seems good. You can get everything cheaper if you go used, but I get the allure of building a new computer too.

I'd go with atleast a 650W PSU and 16GB ram for future upgradability.
The reason to choose a better PSU right now is that later on, suppose you run into some money in the future, you can upgrade to a more powerful 8+ core Ryzen 3000 or 4000 chip and a better gpu.

The reason to opt for more ram is, because 8GB will soon be inadequate, as things like web browsing are getting pretty resource hungry and when upgrading for more ram later, you might not get the identical set of ram and have to buy new ram altogether.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8vmc3b

Edit:
I strongly recommend a better case too.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TsPqKB

Last edited by raystriker,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn