Hardware What is the best Wireless Nunchuck Currently Available?

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I want to pick up a wireless nunchuck, but I want to make sure that I get one that works well. Which wireless nunchuck is the best?

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can get your hands on one of the original Nyko "Kama"s, that would likley be your best bet. When these first came out, they were identical in size to the official Nintendo one, just slightly larger. They had a small adaptor similar to Motion Plus that plugs into the Wiimote to enable the wireless capabilities.... Nyko actually got sued by Nintendo and lost, on copyright infrigement for their version of the Nunchuk. If you've seen them on the shelves recently, they are likely the newer, and much (uglier) blocky style.

When I first read about this lawsuit, I meant to go snag one, knowing that they would get pulled, and I now regret to say that I wasn't fast enough. If you could find one of these at a store with older stock, or on ebay, you would be in luck.

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I've used my Kama pretty extensively and haven't really had any issues with it. It's a bitch to find the old ones, as the UPCs seem to be the same. I got one off eBay recently by emailing the seller and making sure the photo he was using for his auction wasn't stock and he was actually selling the older model.

-FTen

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i have the nyko wireless chuck adapter. you plug a chuck into it and plug the receiver into the remote like the m+. it's never dropped out once. works perfect and very comfortable to hold. it's like holding an f15 joystick
tongue.gif
i don't know if it works with m+ or not since i don't have it yet.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetla...2807832%201.jpg

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion a wireless nunchuck is basically a gimmick anyways. Is it really needed? Even with Wii Sports Boxing and other games, I've never found that the cord was too short. There's plenty of room. Also, it just drains more batteries, so it costs you even more money. You should just stick with the regular nunchuck.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have what I believe is the old-style Kama by Nyko, and I absolutely hate it. I bought it under the impression that going wireless was a good idea, but I got tired of dealing with the synching issues. For the most part it keeps a good lock, but often when the wiimote would go to sleep, the two pieces would lose connection with each other. I also thought the Z+C buttons were extremely cheap feeling, and mine rattled around right out of the package. The Kama's anaolog stick moves in a smooth circle, but I prefer the hexagon movement of the Nintendo analog stick.

Basically, after using the Kama for a few weeks, I tried the old Nintendo one again and decided the original is better, wire or no wire.

DsHacker14

Trophies
Website
www.arschacks.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't really think a wireless nunchuck is necessary. I've never had any problems with the cord being too short but then again having a wireless nunchuck would be kind of cool to have still. The only one i've seen that looks pretty durable and comes from a trusted company was the nyko one but to me it looks kind of weird because the "grip" doesnt really serve a purpose and it makes it look crappy imo.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
In my opinion a wireless nunchuck is basically a gimmick anyways. Is it really needed? Even with Wii Sports Boxing and other games, I've never found that the cord was too short. There's plenty of room. Also, it just drains more batteries, so it costs you even more money. You should just stick with the regular nunchuck.

no it's not the cord becomes tangled over time, when your playing games that require you to push the chuck forward the cord gets in the way half the time, you can sit in an armchair arms stretched out very comfortably playing can't do that with cords! use nimh batteries and my chuck stays charged for weeks even after playing the wii every single day.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I do need something that works with M+. The point is to use it with the Tennis game. Considering the swing, the cord does get in the way.

GhostHawk666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An item of interest everyone should know about the Nyko (original) wireless nunchuks. For one, they don't work worth a crap when used in conjunction with Nyko's wireless sensor bar. They will trick games into thinking you are pushing to the left sometimes making the control almost useless. If you switch back to the hard-wired sensor bar the problem goes away. Doesn't matter how fresh the batteries are or how close the to the sensor bar you are, or the sync. Avoid using them with the wireless sensor bar....period.

Now, the other problem.. IF you use rechargeable AAA's and the batteries are not freshly recharged NiMH's don't expect to use them for more than a couple of days without a recharge. They will loose sync quickly. There appears to be a slight drain on them even when not in use. You need to manually turn them off when done gaming or they will keep seeking the wiimote. I usually just pull out the batteries and put them right back into the recharger. It would have been nice if Nyko had made a recharge stand for these things too. They make everything else in the world but somehow missed this need.

And yes, they don't work with Motion Plus. That really sucks. I have heard the other version that adapts a wired nunchuk into a wireless one will work but I cannot confirm this because I don't have one of those versions.

Reference:
Nyko Kama (Original Black limited edition series).

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
GhostHawk666 said:
An item of interest everyone should know about the Nyko (original) wireless nunchuks. For one, they don't work worth a crap when used in conjunction with Nyko's wireless sensor bar. They will trick games into thinking you are pushing to the left sometimes making the control almost useless. If you switch back to the hard-wired sensor bar the problem goes away. Doesn't matter how fresh the batteries are or how close the to the sensor bar you are, or the sync. Avoid using them with the wireless sensor bar....period.

Now, the other problem.. IF you use rechargeable AAA's and the batteries are not freshly recharged NiMH's don't expect to use them for more than a couple of days without a recharge. They will loose sync quickly. There appears to be a slight drain on them even when not in use. You need to manually turn them off when done gaming or they will keep seeking the wiimote. I usually just pull out the batteries and put them right back into the recharger. It would have been nice if Nyko had made a recharge stand for these things too. They make everything else in the world but somehow missed this need.

And yes, they don't work with Motion Plus. That really sucks. I have heard the other version that adapts a wired nunchuk into a wireless one will work but I cannot confirm this because I don't have one of those versions.

Reference:
Nyko Kama (Original Black limited edition series).

I agree... horrible product.. How much do your want for you black one?
laugh.gif

I'm damn jealous now and have a new thing to hunt for on the internet.

-FTen

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GhostHawk666 said:
Lol a wireless sensor bar has absolutely nothing to do with a nunchuck. It is impossible for it to cause problems. I'm surprised how many people don't understand what a sensor bar is, and that it doesn't even "sense" anything.

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
I saw one at Target (Australia), that was wireless came in different colours, and had two different functions, such as the cheat function which allows you to move the Nunchcuck in a certain gesture and it will keep copying it until you press the cheat button again. And the VC button, which allows you to play virtual console games for some perculiar reason, I don't know how that is gonna subsitiute lack of buttons for N64 though...

GhostHawk666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Matt93 said:
GhostHawk666 said:
Lol a wireless sensor bar has absolutely nothing to do with a nunchuck. It is impossible for it to cause problems. I'm surprised how many people don't understand what a sensor bar is, and that it doesn't even "sense" anything.

I know it makes no sense. But I am telling you this is for real. I have shown several people this scenario and it blows their mind each time. It even happens if I take the nunchuck and remote and physically prevent them sending infrared pulses to the sensor bar. Still happens. It must be a software bug with the way the input signals are read by the console. Don't know what one has to do with the other but as soon as I plug in the stock sensor bar the drift problem with the wireless nunchuck goes away completely as it does if I plug in a hard-wired nunchuck. I have not tried any other wireless bars with this chuck, and Nyko doesn't respond to any support related questions either. I would like to see if anyone else has this problem or can verify they don't have the problem with the same combination. I know it has nothing to do with remote because I have 4 of them and 2 of they wireless nunchucks and they all do it (As long as the the Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar is in use).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
why would you need a wireless sensor bar anyway the damn cord on the thing is long enough and how far would you possibly have your wii away from the tv?!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA Active could benefit from it (since it goes in the little thigh band now and then). It also generally gives you more freedom, I guess. I may actually buy one when Red Steel 2 comes out (since I wanna kick ass with a sword without the hinderence of a cord).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn