Hacking What is the best way to play all GB/GBC games in 1 cart via GBA?

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I havent modded my GBA and just wondering is there a sure fire way to play every OG GB and GBC game out there on the GBA. Does anyone sell a complete cart somewhere? On ebay I can only find a 369 in 1 cart but they are just og GB games and most are not really good and missing the big hit games and it is missing GBC games too.

Its expensive trying to buy the games these days all the time or goodluck even finding the cart of the game you want sometimes so Im ok with fakes or a ***** in 1 game cart that can do it all

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Does anyone sell a complete cart somewhere? On ebay I can only find a 369 in 1 cart"
That is walking the line. Much further and you would be asking for a link to a repro which flagrant commercial piracy and thus frowned upon around here.

If however you want a flash cart to fill up then that is your business, and something we know a bit about around here. Most multi carts loaded with games will be terrible (don't know so much about today but classically those ?? in one devices are noted as being 5 games repeated, maybe with a few hacked title screens or cheats), those few that are even vaguely passable will usually be variations on old homebrew designs ( https://web.archive.org/web/20180309112726/http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm covers a few of them)

With a flash cart you can chose ROMs, make sure you have the best versions, have cheats, have ROM hacks and translations, have homebrew code...

The cream of the crop for GB/GBC flash carts is the everdrive GB X7.
https://gbatemp.net/review/everdrive-gb-x7.664/

That is going to be the closest thing you can get to a thing that allows you to wander around happily with an entire library (or two entire libraries) in your pocket. There were a few attempts to make new flash carts before they came along but everdrive did their usual trick of "let's design a flash cart with modern standards and hardware, not just try to improve on legacy things made when the host devices were still current" and stomped all over those really.
About all you will struggle with is stuff like http://bgb.bircd.org/pandocs.htm#huc1mbcwithinfraredcontroller or those things which added a bunch of functionality to the device with their own chips (usually stuff like the TV controller, I think there was a personal organizer, and some other random stuff).
Personally I would suggest you cull the library to the good stuff or stuff you find interesting but whole library is something some people like to do. I don't know if there will be some kind of file limit with the device as most usually content themselves with hundreds of games, not the thousands and regions dupes + hacks + whatever out there but you should be able to get far up into it all, or just have multiple SD cards.

If you are doing a GBA then you do also have the option of a GBA flash cart. They should all run Goomba and Goomba Color just fine. While they are not perfect emulators they are very nice, and at the same time you also have the bonus of being able to play GBA games. EZ4, EZ Omega and Everdrive's GBA efforts are the main contenders for a GBA flash cart worth having here, avoid the supercard (bad carts) and fire cards (too small) as well as the EZ 3 in 1 (it is good but needs a DS really).

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd really recommend against a GBA flash cart for GBC games. Goomba Color, amazing as it is, is really terrible with a lot of games. I wouldn't recommend a DS for GBC emulation either. It really does take something like a 3DS to get consistent performance and audio quality, IMHO. I wouldn't even really recommend Goomba for GB games if you're really trying to go for a 99.9% compatible setup. Some games (The Smurfs) still don't work, and development on Goomba is pretty dead.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I havent modded my GBA and just wondering is there a sure fire way to play every OG GB and GBC game out there on the GBA. Does anyone sell a complete cart somewhere? On ebay I can only find a 369 in 1 cart but they are just og GB games and most are not really good and missing the big hit games and it is missing GBC games too.

Its expensive trying to buy the games these days all the time or goodluck even finding the cart of the game you want sometimes so Im ok with fakes or a ***** in 1 game cart that can do it all
get an everdrive x5 (get the x7 if you care about a working clock in games that use it like pokemon. or a x3 if you dont mind about having to reset the cart to save the game)
it's a GBC\GB flashcart, plays all the gbc\gb games from a micro sd card. I have the x7 and i have to say it's damn perfect. it is exactly what you are asking for...

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Awesome thanks, I was checking the x7 cart and its sooooooo expensive on ebay like hot dang cant believe its worth so much in this period. May check out the x5 Im iffy on the working clock Ive beaten the pokemon games I wanted to play so wont be going back to them and not im not big on rpg games either. Is there a list of features that each have or dont have? or a list of games that dont work on the older model cart?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Awesome thanks, I was checking the x7 cart and its sooooooo expensive on ebay like hot dang cant believe its worth so much in this period. May check out the x5 Im iffy on the working clock Ive beaten the pokemon games I wanted to play so wont be going back to them and not im not big on rpg games either. Is there a list of features that each have or dont have? or a list of games that dont work on the older model cart?
this is the official site: https://krikzz.com/store/

they are not older (unless ya talking about the discontinued original gb model), the x3 x5 and x7 naming is due to the difference in features..

the only difference between the x7 and the x5 is the lack of clock and no support for save states
the x3 doesn't automatically save the game progress into the sd card, you need to press the bump in the card to reset the gameboy in order to keep the save.
the games that they support should be all the same. if money is a concern get the x3. the thing about the x3 like i said before is if you dont wanna lose your progress you need to reset the cartridge before shutting down the gameboy. you just have to remember that and avoid playing while low in battery

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thats epic and he is from australia too thats great. Just checking youtube on reviews it looks solid and a better cart than others on the market and for a fraction of the price. I think Ill wait till July for the delivery as listed that is pretty good thank you. Do they give you tips on how to place the roms into the sd card? I assume you have to create folders with caps lock and format and just dump them into subfolders etc?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over