Homebrew What is the best way to make a Wii channel out of a GBC rom?

svin83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That would be difficult... There's no GBC Virtual Console games, so you would need to find some GBC or GBA emulator that would accept running as an installed title and loading your injected rom from it's data directory on NAND... Sounds like a quick way to brick your wii if you aren't a leet console haxor...

Modifying the source code of VbaGX to auto load a specific rom on your SD card, and then compiling the modified VbaGX source into a dol, before including it in a custom channel and installing it with wad manager may be easier...

But there is still a high chance of bricking your wii when customizing channels before installing them...

Edit:
If VbaGX and the official forwarder channel is good enough, you should go for that... It is WAY safer...

Last edited by svin83,
Reactions: KimKong

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I'm wondering what's the best way to go about getting a GBC rom injected into a Wii VC channel. Is it even possible? Any help is much appreciated!
Sorry for necrobump this thread but... yes, it's possible...

You can get the VBA GX Single ROM Loader or mGBA Wii Single ROM Loader in this link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/my-coll...-for-some-best-wii-homebrew-emulators.591509/

Now the next step is making a channel forwarder for load the SRL as if were a Wii VC channel.

Greetings ;)

Reactions: svin83 and KimKong

KimKong

Game Developer / Graphic Artist / Musician
OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry for necrobump this thread but... yes, it's possible...

You can get the VBA GX Single ROM Loader or mGBA Wii Single ROM Loader in this link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/my-coll...-for-some-best-wii-homebrew-emulators.591509/

Now the next step is making a channel forwarder for load the SRL as if were a Wii VC channel.

Greetings ;)
Thanks for sharing!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this method is just a forward channel that links to the emulator and ROM on a folder on my SD card, right..? Or is there a way to pack it all inside the WAD?

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thanks for sharing!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this method is just a forward channel that links to the emulator and ROM on a folder on my SD card, right..? Or is there a way to pack it all inside the WAD?
@KimKong

Okay, my custom Single ROM Loaders i'm sharing on GBAtemp loads a ROM file specified in the arguments on the meta.xml file when that "autoboot emulator" starts in the Homebrew Channel, but for make that the SRL run in the Wii Menu as a Wii channel, you need to make a forwarder that loads the dol file of your emulator and read its meta.xml for autoload the game.

EDIT: For make autoboot a game in a SRL, you have to tell in the arguments in the meta.xml file about what is the path where is the ROM stored, the ROM file to load, and when it's required in the SRL, specify where will load a "configurations/settings" (config.cfg) file when the emu starts.

For make a DOL forwarder, use @XFlak's ModMii Forwarder Builder for do that, it's based on @FIX94's Forwarder with meta.xml support, and when you have finished making it, insert the DOL that forwards to your emulator using @Leathl's CustomizeMii tool, in an AHBPROT-enabled base WAD. You can get an AHBPROT-enabled base WAD in here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/x-flaks-top-wii-channels.205622/

Hope this understand ;)

Last edited by SaulFabre,
Reactions: KimKong and XFlak

KimKong

OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
@KimKong

Okay, my custom Single ROM Loaders i'm sharing on GBAtemp loads a ROM file specified in the arguments on the meta.xml file when that "autoboot emulator" starts in the Homebrew Channel, but for make that the SRL run in the Wii Menu as a Wii channel, you need to make a forwarder that loads the dol file of your emulator and read its meta.xml for autoload the game.

EDIT: For make autoboot a game in a SRL, you have to tell in the arguments in the meta.xml file about what is the path where is the ROM stored, the ROM file to load, and when it's required in the SRL, specify where will load a "configurations/settings" (config.cfg) file when the emu starts.

For make a DOL forwarder, use @XFlak's ModMii Forwarder Builder for do that, it's based on @FIX94's Forwarder with meta.xml support, and when you have finished making it, insert the DOL that forwards to your emulator using @Leathl's CustomizeMii tool, in an AHBPROT-enabled base WAD. You can get an AHBPROT-enabled base WAD in here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/x-flaks-top-wii-channels.205622/

Hope this understand ;)
Yeah thanks a ton for this!!
But I was really hoping to get some kind of all-included-wad-package where the GB ROM is loaded straight from the channel. And no forwarding is needed.. Like Goombacolor package GB/GBC ROMS into a GBA file. I was hoping something similar might exist for SNES or even the NES. And I could use these tools to package a WAD into a SNES/NES channel without the need of forwarding to any emulator on my SD.

But for my own personal use, I will for sure use this to make channels of all my own GB/GBC games!
Again.. Thank you for your awesome work - and for taking the time to help out here!

Last edited by KimKong,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
  • Love
Reactions: KimKong

KimKong

OP
Trophies
Website
skrap-klan.itch.io
XP
Country
Norway
@KimKong

Hello, don't know if you're still interested in GBC games as Wii VC channels but i've made a complete tutorial for do this, hope this understand for you and help you: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...ls-of-your-favorite-retro-games-d-wii.602640/

Tell me if you understand this fine and if you have done some channels of GBC games with that.

Greetings :D
Thanks for this!!
It's been a while since I messed around with any sort of Wii stuff... But I'm going to test this out when I'm 100% finished developing my GBC game! It's getting real close now! (Wish I had more time on my hands)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs