What is the best version of Guitar Hero to buy?

Kitanode

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I want to buy Guitar Hero for my son's christmas (who is 8) and i want to know what you think is the best version to play.

We have a XBox360, a Wii, a PC and a DSi.

Obviously the Xbox one is probably the best for graphics and online but i'm more interested in overall enjoyment, playability, features, controls and the what is the actual best guitar to hold and play.

I want hear everybody's opinion but those people who have played it on more than one console are the one's i'm most interested in.

If there are any other guitar type games that you want to recommend then please do.

Cheers,

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, i preferred Guitar Hero 3, it was the last Guitar Hero to allow you to play with the controller. I just love me some button'mashin'.
biggrin.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
1 or 2 (2 if you have a 360 I guess)

probably had some of the best tracks until 3 came along with Activision/Neversoft leading the helm and things went downhill.

Kitanode

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Just avoid the wireless controler that came with gh3 on 360

Do you mean a specific wireless controller that was released with the game or the normal 360 joypad?

If you mean one that came with the game, what was wrong with it?

Was there a guitar controller released with gh3? Can you use an older/different guitar with gh3?

What type of controller is the best for gh3?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bunie said:
Personally, i preferred Guitar Hero 3, it was the last Guitar Hero to allow you to play with the controller. I just love me some button'mashin'.
biggrin.gif
aerosmith was actually the last game to support it

everything after GH4 (World Tour) see's the controller as a mic and ignores inputs from it

loved playing with the regular controller
but I guess with game piracy and such they want to make sure you buy the game and controllers

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kitanode said:
QUOTE said:
Just avoid the wireless controler that came with gh3 on 360

Do you mean a specific wireless controller that was released with the game or the normal 360 joypad?

If you mean one that came with the game, what was wrong with it?

Was there a guitar controller released with gh3? Can you use an older/different guitar with gh3?

What type of controller is the best for gh3?
All of the guitars released with GH3 (the Les Pauls) have a 'detachable neck' for 'easy portability and storage'. The neck being detachable means it isn't one solid piece, and can (and most likely will) suffer from some sort of pin-contact issues causing problems ranging for minor button delay to straight up game-ruining stuff. You can open it up and fix it to make it work decently well, but you're better off just getting another guitar.

As far as which version you should get, I would recommend one of the PC versions that has a customizer tool released. My bro uses PC GH3 and a program called Guitar Hero 3 Control Panel (GHTCP) to add custom songs to his song list, as well as guitar charts ripped from the more current GH games. This is by far the best value, but I don't think PC online play works well if at all.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i prefer gh5 because i liked the tracks better than the other heroes and i liked having kurt, shirley and santana as my band members.

the theme in gh6 is horrid imo.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
His son is 8 peeps, and having 2 lads myself that are a little bit older, I'd say the first few GH's aren't gonna appeal that much....
You're on here, so maybe you've got a modded Wii? There's your answer...... for the games it can depend on his taste in music: GH5 is most likely the best choice out of all the Guitar Hero games..... Band Hero could be another good bet..... Rock Band 2 or 3 are even better though like has been said, and Lego Rock Band isn't too bad (and pretty cheap too!)
Actual guitars... for your lads I'd say use the GH ones.... I've got both, and whilst I prefer the RB one, my lads will always plump for the GH one - more spaced out, easier to feel buttons for them...

Wii is certainly your best bet if you want to try them all out, although accessories are usually harder to find for it than the 360.... but if you want more eye candy when playing, then it's a no brainer (although the Wii versions do the job fine there tbh)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1