What is the Best Utility to format usb drive fat32

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by lelton, Jun 25, 2019.

1. lelton
    OP

lelton Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2011
    Canada
    Hi,
    I have a Black Wii without any Gamecube ports. I also have a three Seagate usb slim drives (they pull there power from the usb bus). Two of the Seagate usb slim drives (formated fat32) work without any problems on the Wii but the third one does not. I have formated all the drives within Windows 10 using a program called fat32format.exe , and I format with a 32K cluster. This format program has worked extremely well for me in the past. This Seagate drive is visable under Windows 10 and it displays as Fat32.

The problem is, when I run Configurable USB Loader it does not detect the drive. When I run USB Loader GX it does not detect the drive. I have changed both loaders to use IOS 58 for the loader and... there has been no change in how the drive is detected. The drive IS plugged into the left usb port on the Wii.

I am ready to reformat this difficult Seagate USB slim drive again, but I thought I would ask for some direction from the community as to what is the BEST methodology to format a drive fat32?

I was thinking of trying this command within a Command Prompt, "format /FS:FAT32 L:"
    I tried the above format command, and it errored after 4 hours of formating with a drive is too large error :(

Last edited by lelton, Jun 26, 2019
  2. Draxikor

Draxikor Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    Wii backup manager, never give me problems with HDD, pendrives or SD cards.

3. lelton
    OP

lelton Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2011
    Canada
    I found the problem. There were two partitions on the drive!! One was an EFI partition and the second was the Fat32 partition. After removing the EFI partion with diskpart, all is fine!!! I initialized the drive after diskpart as MBR. I quick formated the drive with FAT32_GUI_Formatter.exe that is included with ModMii. The drive is 2TB. All is fine.

https://www.howtogeek.com/215349/ho...protective-partition-from-a-drive-in-windows/

Draxikor likes this.