What is the best solution for NES/SNES emulation for DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by AlexElder, Mar 8, 2008.

1. AlexElder
    OP

Newcomer AlexElder Advanced Member

Canada
    I am looking for the best card or combination of cards to run NES and SNES emus on a DS. Ill take advice on best price or best functionality.

and has anyone heard any reviews on this? http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.ph...products_id=757

It is an NES player/MP3 player.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. sphere9

Member sphere9 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
  3. AlexElder
    OP

Canada
  4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    NES DS will run exactly the same on pretty much every homebrew device available today.

For SNES games, your two main options are SNEmulDS and SnezziDS. SNEmulDS runs on all devices, but if slot-2 RAM is detected, it can load large roms into that RAM so it doesn't have to use its paging system. SnezziDS runs solely from slot-2 devices with GBA compatibility, but its mostly superseded by SNEmulDS, which already uses the SnezziDS CPU core.

5. AlexElder
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the help.

NesDS works perfectly and SNEmulDS works good too. I just need to get a ram card now.

These old games are so much more addictive than the new stuff that is out these days.

6. DanTheManMS

United States
    Additional RAM will only help for large games, and even then the benefit is questionable. Basically, without RAM you've got a problem where the entire game won't fit into the DS's RAM where SNEmulDS needs it. To combat this, it loads 2-3 MB chunks of ROM into RAM when needed. If this happens often, it's slightly noticeable, though with later releases of SNEmulDS the delay when paging the rom has decreased to virtually nothing. The slot-2 RAM lets you hold the entire rom there so the paging system doesn't need to be used. However, slot-2 RAM is by nature slower than the DS's on-board RAM, so you may actually get slower gameplay throughout the entire game. You'd have to check on a game-by-game basis to see which mode works best for that game.

7. AlexElder
    OP

Canada
    Is there a relative cut off size for roms? or is there a wiki out there with a list of which ones have to do the paging or use a ram card?

If most of the bigger games are not ones I want to play then i wont bother getting a ram pack.

THanks

8. DanTheManMS

United States
    I think the cutoff is somewhere around 3 MB in size, give or take a few hundred KB. And again, I can play the DKC series and Chrono Trigger without noticing the paging engine at all, and I don't really notice a difference when using slot-2 RAM.

9. techforumz

Member techforumz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think that the slot-2 really helps much/at all. A good class-6 memory card will exceed the bandwidth of the DS card port. If the card can read/write faster than a real NDS game, then the 'RAM' on slot-2, which is slower, won't matter. So, in other words, the paging system is excellent, and the slot-2 support is unnecessary, (but cool to say that my DS has 12MB/20MB of RAM.)

10. GatorDeb

Member GatorDeb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there any NES emulator that as hot-swappable capabilities like Goomba? I.e. go from one game to the next without resetting. And speaking off, is there ever going to be a way to switch GBA games without turning the DS off and on?

11. DanTheManMS

United States
    NES DS can do it easily. Just tap the touchscreen to enter the menu, go to the File tab, and choose Select Game (or something to that effect).

There does exist a way to patch GBA games to soft-reset, though I do not know if the procedure works too well on most of today's slot-2 devices. I haven't really looked into it all that much. Look into "Boot-O-Matic Advance" if you're interested. I think GBATA might also be able to patch roms to soft-reset, though I'm unsure about that.

I do know however that it's impossible to reset from a GBA game into DS mode without physically turning the DS off and on again. You can switch from DS mode to GBA mode, but not the other way around.

12. GatorDeb

Member GatorDeb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dan you ARE the man [​IMG] Thanks so much for the Boot-o-Mat tip, didn't know that existed. Patching as we speak.

Would you happen to know a good GBA rom patching utility to add cheats to games? Is GBASharky the only one?

Thanks! [​IMG]

13. DanTheManMS

United States
    I didn't even know that something like GBASharky even existed, so I don't know of any alternatives, no.