Question what is the best scenario for brand new unpatched switch with firmware 4.1.0?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Goldenman66, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    He doesn't need to update his ofw to the latest firmware at all, please don't tell him that! The point of having the "hidden partition" on the sd card is so he can keep his official nand on the lowest firmware and keep it as a stealthy option completely hidden away from Nintendo. Having the "hidden partition" on his sd card acts like his official nand, the closest he will ever get to this, while keeping his emunand on the latest firmware, thats the point of it just as if hes using the real systemnand, its used for this kind of new setup so he can have his official systemnand untouched and it's also a preferred option and the best option for a brand new unit like his. This is why I am giving him my advice because I have done the same with my second switch on firmware 4.1.0 for over 8 months now no issues.

Last edited by Reecey, Aug 9, 2019
  2. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    @Goldenman66
    I was just thinking I presume you have bought an sxos license or using an sxpro, not the free version?

3. Goldenman66
    OP

Goldenman66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Egypt
    No I didn’t bought it till now i used the free version as you advised a general version 2.5.3

4. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    You have the holy grail, an unpatched Switch on 4.1.0. Whatever anybody tells you, I would not update your sysNAND at all, even if you avoid burning fuses, it will be too easy to accidentally burn them later.

You have access to a tetherless exploit. Your best situation now (in my opinion) is to create two emuNANDs, one that you strictly use with legit purchases for playing online, and one that you strictly use for all your other purposes.

I believe you already know this, and are just having problems getting your emuds set up.

Yes, there is always a slight ban risk of using emuNAND, because you can't possibly use emuNAND and be in a fully "clean" state. That being said, I think Atmosphere does a lot more to mitigate that risk than SX OS, and I highly recommend you stick with it, even if it's harder for you to set up.

It's possible to use more than one emuNAND on a single microSD card, but in my opinion it's not worth the headache and the amount of storage that takes, you're better off having two separate microSD cards.

You haven't told us what all you've done to try to set up emuNAND. You made a clean NAND backup, did you backup BOOT0 and BOOT1? Did you create a new backup on your PC using copy /b BOOT0+BOOT1+rawnand.bin emummc.bin ? Did you try to set it up manually or using something built-in with Hekate or SX OS?

I'm assuming you're using sector=0x2 in your emummc config, but did you verify that's the correct value to use in your case?

Reecey likes this.
  5. Goldenman66
    OP

Goldenman66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Egypt
    @RHOPKINS13 i tried atmosphere and sxos and never get emunand work. With atmosphere when i press to launch emunand switch reboot again to hekate and with sxos emunand is always disabled and can’t enabled. I made a clean NAND backup, backed up BOOT0 and BOOT1, I don’t know how to create a new backup on PC using copy /b BOOT0+BOOT1+rawnand.bin emummc.bin, I use rcmloader to enter rcm and inject payload

6. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    What's the point in staying on 4.1.0? It's even past the cartridge driver update so going back to it if no fuses are burnt is possible without any problems. And even if he accidentally burns fuses, we would always be able to boot into 4.1.0 nonetheless with hekate.
    Honestly who is working on that coldboothax? Nobody we know of. All capable ppl are "just" working on new Atmo updates, hekate updates or RetroArch. I don't think it'll ever come.
    Why the struggle to deal with even two emuNANDs?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Right now I have one emuNAND/emuMMC that I created with SX OS and am using with either Atmos or SX OS (depending on which payload I use) but it's the same emuNAND while my sysNAND is for online play. And I've got Ubuntu on the same SD and it works but I'm going to nuke it in order to have Android take its place soon when Tariq finishes his investigations.

As a side note: never ever use exFAT on the Nintendo Switch if you're using any CFW related stuff. Stay on FAT32 with 32 k cluster size.

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It's worth staying on 4.1.0 if one wants to use the warmboot browser exploit (Deja Vu). If one doesn't care about using Deja Vu, there's no real reason to stay on 4.1.0, and there probably won't be any reason to downgrade to 4.1.0.

An untethered coldboot exploit will probably never be released on anything above 3.0.2.

Reecey likes this.
  8. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Correct. But Deja Vu should work even if too many fuses burnt iirc.
    So even someone with a fuse state of 8.1.0 could restore a 4.1.0 backup, boot into it with hekate and use Deja Vu. Although there's absolutely no point to do so on an unpatched unit.

9. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    If you now have a license I don’t understand why it’s not booting into your emunand even if it’s fat32 partitioned it should still boot emunand on 4.1.0. Have you tried also what I said start from scratch flash your 4.1.0 firmware to exfat then create emunand again? I wrote some details down for you earlier on. Have you at least tried deleting emunand and set it back up again delete your sd card use mini partition tool format it primary fat32, cluster 32k put your sxos files back on setup emunand again, try that.

Last edited by Reecey, Aug 10, 2019
  10. WiseFool

WiseFool GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2018
    India
    So basically in this method, I will have autorcm always on. Be able to boot into sysnand for online legit play and boot into emummc for hbm. Also, I'll be preserving the fuses on my ofw.

Correct me if I'm wrong please. I'm going to follow this guide to setup atmosphere emummc.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

lordelan likes this.
  11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    As you said, that would be pointless. Deja Vu effectively requires a low fuse count.

12. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    It sounds like you're trying to boot emuNAND without having it actually set up. That's your issue, emuNAND is not something you can simply launch without having your SD card properly set up first.

Check out this tutorial here:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/emummc-setup-win-linux-quadboot.541152/

You can skip the "Quadboot" stuff, you just want to go through the "Pre-Setup" and "Setting Up emuMMC" steps.

You only need to go through the "Pre-Setup" once, but once you have your emummc.bin file, I would go through "Setting Up emuMMC" twice, with two separate microSD cards. That way you can use one for NSPs, homebrew, and other stuff, while the other one you'll use strictly with legit cartridges and games for online play.

If you do everything correctly, you'll be able to do something most people here can't: boot into emuNAND without the need for an RCM jig or a payload pusher. That's pretty awesome, I'm actually a little jealous. Take advantage of what you can do!

Once you're fully setup, on your emuMMC for NSPs and homebrew usage, I'd setup Incognito and 90DNS as soon as possible. That should help prevent you from getting banned.

13. Goldenman66
    OP

Goldenman66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Egypt
    No I didn’t try it. Is it safe to use cfw and ChoiDujournx?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I’ll try it and send you the results

14. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    I cannot understand why he can’t boot emunand on sxos after setting it up? I had a brand new unit on 4.1.0 the same as his all I did was format my sd card fat32 mini partition tool used the general build 2.5.3 first back up full nand then booted cfw, flashed cfw with ChoiDujournx to 4.1.0 firmware files exfat then in sxos main menu I setup emunand with hidden partition put all my files back on my sd card that booted straight into emunand then I updated through the sxos menu to 2.8beta then used ChoiDujournx to flash the 8.1.0 firmware exfat and that was it I cannot see why he can’t boot into emunand and it’s locked as disabled.

Last edited by Reecey, Aug 11, 2019
  15. Goldenman66
    OP

Goldenman66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Egypt
    Difference between us that I didn’t booted into cfw and didn’t flash 4.1.0 exfat. I’m afraid that with booting cfw there is a risk of being banned and Sysnand will not be clear anymore

16. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    You will be fine sxos stealth will be on automatically in cfw don’t turn it off. Grab your 4.1.0 firmware files same site you got the 8.1.0 files from boot up cfw and ChoiDujournx in the homebrew tab album and run 4.1.0 exfat then go back setup emunand hidden partition.

Edit: forgot make sure you put your ini file on the route of your sd card when flashing someone else pasted you it in another comment. Just copy & paste .ini

Last edited by Reecey, Aug 11, 2019
  17. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Correct.

18. Goldenman66
    OP

Goldenman66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Egypt
    @RHOPKINS13 i'm trying it with no success, when i'm using command dd it give me "0Error writing file: 87 The parameter is incorrect" and i can't solve this issue? i'm very disappointed :( it seems i'm doing something wrong i can't setup emunand by any way i don't know what is my mistake.

19. Goldenman66
    OP

Goldenman66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2019
    Egypt
    After creating emunand using sxos hidden partition, i can’t open sd card second partition to put license.dat file and ini file is this normal? I sent I screenshot from card partition in previous comment and i’m using windows 10

20. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Actually, I seem to remember running into the same issue. Make sure that you're running it from an "elevated" command prompt with administrative privileges. I seem to remember my error having something to do with the way I was typing the command in. I could be wrong, but I "think" what I did to work around it was mount the emuMMC partition with a drive letter, and then pass that drive letter to dd rather than \\?\Device\HarddiskVolumeXX.

I did mine slightly differently because just as a matter of preference I like having my emuMMC partition at the beginning of the card instead of the end, but that requires deleting the partition afterwards and is a little advanced.

If I can find a spare microSD card laying around, I might try playing with that dd command some more just to verify what I did to get around that error message.

You're really close to having Atmosphere + emuMMC, don't give up yet!