What is the best product to fix scratches on game discs?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Link5084, May 21, 2009.

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    I got some tiny scratches on my SSBB disc that I want to get rid of. Anyone know of how to get rid of these scratches?

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    How about the CD Scratch removers packages that you can buy? I personally only use it if I really need it and the scratches are bad. And why not ask EBGames? They try to remove the scratches I think... Unless the games I get are just in really good condition...

I googled it up, and someone sad Toothpaste. Not the one with gel, or one that'll leave little specks of breath crystals, just plain old toothpaste. Not sure how effective that'll work or if the CD will ever be readable again...

3. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Toothpaste, as mentioned above. I haven't tried with gel toothpaste or anything (I only do it with standard Colgate Whitening), so I can't really say anything about that.

You can also use bananas if you have no toothpaste around. I've done it before, works the same way as toothpaste.

4. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    tooth paste works, so does shoe polish, any colour. just make sure you go over the disc with a cloth that doesnt scratch

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most of the techniques you see will be the modern equivalent of old wives tales, pointlessly expensive (and not very good) or designed so you can make a last ditch attempt to grab the data before the disc dies.

General theory: all discs be they burned or official are little more than film placed on a polycarbonate shell ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZKD2aYLTWw&fmt=18 ). Scratches on the bottom surface can cause problems by changing the light beam (laser) coming in (blocking or changing angle), knowing this all disc formats include a level of redundancy and/or error checking and error correction. The worst scratches are concentric (rings that follow a circle within the disc), line scratches are usually not worth worrying about.

Scratches then either have to be buffed out or filled in or possibly some hybrid of the two.
    Filling is hard as you want to match optical properties (not the easiest of tasks) which generally means a poor result or high expense. You also have the ageing problem (your filler material may change optical properties).
    Buffing removes material which is not what you really want to do unless you have to, it is sometimes good to get rid of the "ridges" formed by a bad scratch.
    Everything else is just a disc washer, most of the time that is all that is needed though.

In the last case (last ditch) hairspray works for me (about as similar a set of optical properties as you can get easily).
    Be very careful with tootpaste (it is good for oil but so is washing up liquid which is far better), hard particles are included in many of them which will end up scratching discs further.