Hacking What is the best OFW - CFW method to use in this situation?

GraphiX2004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello new to the PSP world... But not softmodding all kinds of other devices in general, but been doing weeks of research and it's quite mind bending.
At this time there's so many variants of the Pro CFW for 660/661? You have the following...

ME | LME | & Pro by the original team who for some reason only went upto 660? And never fixed the PSX/PSN bugs?
Then you have updated pro un-officials that still don't say if 660/661 psx/psn bugs have been fixed or not?

Mods: IF these links are not allowed sorry, it was the only way to show what my general issue is about.
Please don't delete the post just remove the links if you don't mind if it's any kind of problem.

qwikrazor87
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41249

Yoti Mod
http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41249

Rahim-US

http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=34403

I really don't know which CFW to use?

I got a PSP 1000 model today which has OFW of just 4.05 (I don't know why the owner never updated it.)
I don't want to flash perm modification I just want to use the QuickRecovery/Flasher method only.

I would like to convert my old PSx games and PSN games and play emulation on it.

What do you professionals suggest I do? Upgrade to 6.20 and stay at this firmware?
Or, update to the 6.60 firmware? I don't see the point updating to 661 since won't be flashing with infinity.

Also, I've searched and searched and cannot find an answer to this... How do you block OFW updates on a psp?
For example in the official games I got if I explorer them there's a sysdir with a firmware update in most games.

Or when the Vita end of life finally happens who says Sony isn't also going to patch/fix the old PSP at the same time?

So I want to be-able to block everything if possible?

Also... How do I block these games when converted into ISO formats, or running original UMD Games from updating to the latest firmware?
Since the console is old I don't want to risk even more wear tear on the UMD drive than it already has so going to ISO the games that come with it.

If anyone can help with all these questions I would really really appreciate it.
Since I only have 1 shot at updating from this firmware to the next stage 620 > 660 > 661

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you are needlessly scared of updates (especially more so since all 1000 consoles are unbrickable via Pandora, and can have clean permanent CFW), update to 6.61 (the newest version), then install a temporary 6.61 CFW such as "LME (OFW Edition)" or "PRO";

after every reboot you will have to run a launcher to run them again, since for no pragmatical reason you rejected the perfectly valid option of permanent CFW :)

GraphiX2004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are needlessly scared of updates (especially more so since all 1000 consoles are unbrickable via Pandora, and can have clean permanent CFW), update to 6.61 (the newest version), then install a temporary 6.61 CFW such as "LME (OFW Edition)" or "PRO";

after every reboot you will have to run a launcher to run them again, since for no pragmatical reason you rejected the perfectly valid option of permanent CFW :)

Good evening Ryccardo! Sorry didn't get back to you yesterday was the wife's birthday. I would like to point the following out and it seems everyone keeps goin on about
this pandora battery method. I know it's been such a long time since the PSP was out, but people keep talking about getting these batteries pre done as if they are easy to buy/find.

There's not a single place online i can find to buy one of these pre-done batteries? I've seen you can make them yourself manually, or with the PSP Tool but again
not only is the PSP tool impossible to find, so is the latest version of Hellcats Recovery Flasher, and Rains MMS maker. Why arn't these tools in GBATemp's download sections?

Every link you look for is dead, or links to external sites that no longer exist.

It's not that I'm rejecting the perfectly valid option of perm I just don't see the point in locking just 1 type/brand in when it only takes like 6-7 seconds to QuickRecovery/Quick Launch
And with every power off it returns back to it's default older firmware. I'm wondering if I should just update to 660 since there's no real reason to go to 661 if not using perm/infinity.

Really happy you answered, but nobody has yet to answer the other questions?

How do you block OFW updates on a psp?

For example in the official games I got if I explorer them there's a sysdir with a firmware update in most games.
Or when the Vita end of life finally happens who says Sony isn't also going to patch/fix the old PSP at the same time?

So I want to be-able to block everything if possible?

Also... How do I block these games when converted into ISO formats, or running original UMD Games from updating to the latest firmware?
Since the console is old I don't want to risk even more wear tear on the UMD drive than it already has so going to ISO the games that come with it.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There's not a single place online i can find to buy one of these pre-done batteries? I've seen you can make them yourself manually, or with the PSP Tool but again
not only is the PSP tool impossible to find, so is the latest version of Hellcats Recovery Flasher, and Rains MMS maker. Why arn't these tools in GBATemp's download sections?

Every link you look for is dead, or links to external sites that no longer exist.
I have to agree with you on the Magic Memory Stick creation programs (though it should be possible to just copy another MMS sector-by-sector if all else fails)

Batteries (Pandora or not) have met the same fate, very few make them (decently) anymore and most are unknown old stock; however as long as you have a good one (original, or accurate clone) you can reprogram their serial number (which is the whole difference between the 2 types) on-console, using (for example) the recovery menu of ME/LME CFWs
(This assumes you have a console with the physical ability to reprogram batteries, but all 1000s do)

I just don't see the point in locking just 1 type/brand
Oh, there is no problem - just like installing the first one, switching to the other brand of CFW (which by the way aren't significantly different) is just a matter of... installing the other! :)

I'm wondering if I should just update to 660 since there's no real reason to go to 661 if not using perm/infinity.
6.61 brings, over 6.60, TLS 1.0 support (required, for example, for the PS Store) and a bug fix for an obscure Japanese game - and no real disadvantages (most plugins were updated for 6.61, their 6.60 version works as-is, or requires at most a 661-to-660 plugin) - so there aren't many reasons to stay on 6.60 either :)

You may be confusing true permanent CFWs (CIPL-based, exclusive to 1000s and early 2000s, with no disadvantages and in fact better brick recovery compared to unmodded consoles and temporary mods) with the perma-patch type (6.20 or "Infinity" 6.30 & 6.61 hybrids), which indeed aren't ideal on the consoles that support CIPL (simply because CIPL is a significantly technically cleaner alternative)

How do you block OFW updates on a psp?
Some CFWs have options related to that (disabling the network update feature, the ability to use a version.txt taken from the hypothetical 6.62 when it will release, maybe the ability to block the updater from running, etc) and you can rip the update files out of disc backups (mainly to reduce them by 20 MB or so) - but there isn't much of a practical advantage:
- No or extremely few games require 6.61 in the first place
- There is a very good chance that, if 6.62 will be made, no game will require it ;)
- There's no such thing as an accidental update...!

You can also edit the PARAM.SFO file inside a game to change their minimum version requirement ("at your own risk" - there may be a good reason for them to require a certain version, though as said it doesn't really matter on the mostly identical 6.60 vs 6.61)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb