Hacking What is the best NDS Flashcart?

What do you think is the best NDS flashcart?

• M3/M3Lite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G6/G6Lite

• EZ4

• Other removable media flashcarts (post your answer)

• Other non-removable media flashcart (post your answer)

• Total voters

UnknownBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I just wanna know what's the best flashcart in your opinion, before I buy one.
yaynds.gif

Note: I've done my research but I want to know your opinion, if thats ok.

Kartel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
If you had done your research you would know that the M3 Lite hasn't even been announced officially, so it's rather hard for anyone to vote for it.

Anyway I will go with the G6 Lite for NDS Lite and G6 for NDS Phat.

danielmakana

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind spending the money I would go with the M3. I would wait for the lite version to come out though. It shouldn't be long. The M3 has almost Perfect NDS support as well as GBA. Plus out of all the carts it gets the most frequent updates. If you only care about NDS games then the super card would be a good choice because it has great compatibility with NDS games it just sucks for GBA. I dont know much about the EZ4/EZ4 lite but they are new right now and therefore do not have the game compatibility as the others yet.

GeneralLeoFF

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would like a more specific answer to this question myself. What is the best DS flash cart that meets the following criteria?

*must be fully compatible with GBA with no slowdowns and all save types must work without needing to patch the ROM (auto patching on the carts software is ok)

*must be fully (or as best as can be) compatible with the DS with the same terms as applied to GBA games (no slowdowns, auto patching if needed, and all saves work)

*GBA RTC support preferable but not strictly required. Wish someone would make a rumble compatible flash cart as well.

*Must be at least GBA cart sized. The cart must function on a GBA and the GBA Player on the Game Cube. No DS Lite sized carts. I don't want to limit the uses and/or risk Nintendo one day making the internals of the DS Lite smaller thus allowing the GBA cart to fit all the way in making all the small DS Lite cards useless.

*prefer the hardware design to be as un screwy as possible. For example I find the 128Mbit PSRAM and 256Mbit NOR configuration of the EZ3/4 very screwy. Why not just a 256Mbit PSRAM? I would think it would increase compatibility, make flashing and running games less difficult, and lower production costs to eliminate the NOR and just run 256Mbit GBA games in PSRAM.

*A major bonus would be a cart that is also compatible with the GB/GBC mode on a GBA/GBA Player. It would have a mechanical switch on whatever side the switch inside the GBA slot is that enables GB/GBC mode. The cart does not have to fit in a real GB/GBC (though it would just require a simple pass through adapter). I somehow doubt anyone would do this as I'm sure I'm one of the few that would care.

I guess that pretty much puts me at an M3 or G6 doesn't it?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*must be fully compatible with GBA with no slowdowns and all save types must work without needing to patch the ROM (auto patching on the carts software is ok)

Just about any GBA flash cart is like this. The only ones that would give you problems would be very old and/or poorly constructed carts or perhaps the Super Card (slow down).

*must be fully (or as best as can be) compatible with the DS with the same terms as applied to GBA games (no slowdowns, auto patching if needed, and all saves work)

While I suppose this is debatable, DS compatability is not significantly different among the current gen carts.

*GBA RTC support preferable but not strictly required. Wish someone would make a rumble compatible flash cart as well.

Unless you are still playing Pokemon, there really isn't a point to a RTC unless you want to use your GBA as a watch. *Note* Not an insult to anyone who plays Pokemon, but is anyone realy still playing it on the GBA?

*Must be at least GBA cart sized. The cart must function on a GBA and the GBA Player on the Game Cube. No DS Lite sized carts. I don't want to limit the uses and/or risk Nintendo one day making the internals of the DS Lite smaller thus allowing the GBA cart to fit all the way in making all the small DS Lite cards useless.

Then don't buy a cart designed for the lite. Of all the DSlite-dust-cap-sized cards available there is a GBA-cart-sized model with the same features/compatability/maker.

And given that Nintendo themselves are releasing lite specific items (ie rumble pack and memory expansion for Opera) I have serious doubts that any new DS models would not support those.

*prefer the hardware design to be as un screwy as possible. For example I find the 128Mbit PSRAM and 256Mbit NOR configuration of the EZ3/4 very screwy. Why not just a 256Mbit PSRAM? I would think it would increase compatibility, make flashing and running games less difficult, and lower production costs to eliminate the NOR and just run 256Mbit GBA games in PSRAM.

1) How could a GBA flash cart (ie EZ3) that runs every GBA ROM there is 100% accurately be made more compatible? As for the EZ4 all that would be needed to improve GBA compatibility would be to put the RTC back in it. As for DS, the games run directly from the NAND or removable media, so the NOR and/or PSRAM have nothing to do w/ it, any compatability issues are w/ the patching software not the cart design.

2) You clearly have no idea how "difficult" it is to run games on or flash an EZ3/4.

3) Considering Jandaman is selling EZ3's for $65 for 1 gig, $80 for 2 gig and G6's $130 for 1 gig, $150 for 2 gig: cost reduction isn't something that really needs to be addressed by the EZ Flash team, IMO. Super Card miniSD $55, EZ4 $65, M3 Perfect miniSD $90. Given the EZ4's superior GBA support to the Super Card I'd say it's the cost winner here as well.

4) It's actually the use of NAND or removable media that's "screwy", decreases compatability and makes games more difficult to run (ie ROM images no longer run in place, incurring load times); not the use of NOR. It wasn't so long ago flash carts had nothing BUT NOR in them for storing games. Also the NOR makes a lot of sense in a NAND or removable media based cart when you think that anything burned to the NOR doesn't have to be loaded to RAM before playing, unlike the games stored in NAND or on removable media. Since this area was put there to support 256 Mb ROM inages, the biggest GBA images you are going to run, those load times are obviously going to be the largest. This way they are eliminated completely.

5) The loader/firmware/etc has to go somewhere. NAND is unsuitable and putting it in battery backed RAM would be unwise.

6) You're complaining about the NOR? It's free space! 1 gig EZ3's don't have .75 Gb's of NAND and 256 Mb's NOR, they have 1 Gb's NAND AND 256 Mb's NOR. No where is the NOR in the EZ4 mentioned in any description of it made by anyone selling them that I've seen. It's 32 more MB's then the cart is advertised to hold, and it doesn't have to be one 256 Mb ROM. That's as many as 8 GBA games, or pocketNES and dozens of NES ROM images. You want them to remove it?!?

*A major bonus would be a cart that is also compatible with the GB/GBC mode on a GBA/GBA Player. It would have a mechanical switch on whatever side the switch inside the GBA slot is that enables GB/GBC mode. The cart does not have to fit in a real GB/GBC (though it would just require a simple pass through adapter). I somehow doubt anyone would do this as I'm sure I'm one of the few that would care.

Just use Goomba for god sake or if you can find one buy a GB/C flash cart. The reason that no one is likely to do this isn't because of lack of interest as much as because the voltage differences of the GB/C and GBA would make this a design nightmare amongst other things.

I guess that pretty much puts me at an M3 or G6 doesn't it?

If those are the products you want then get them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It's pretty clear that you've come up w/ this list as justification for the purchase of a GBAlpha product rather then their products happen to fit your wish list. From what I understand they make great products, buy one, you don't need our approval.
smile.gif

I bought the EZ4 because it was the first cart supporting removable media that was exactly GBA cart size, the fact that right out of the gate it's DS compatibility was pretty high and since I own an EZ2 and 3 I know EZFlash makes some of the best GBA flash carts on the market.

I didn't choose a Super Card because of the size and other issues I had read (poor GBA support, battery usage).

I didn't choose the M3 because a cart not hanging out of my DS was more important to me then the few DS games the EZ4 has issues w/.

Not having a cart hanging out of my DS was a big deal to me as my DS often ends up in my coat or pants pocket. Having a cart hanging out would be bad in that sort of situation and removing the cart first wouldn't really be any better as it would eliminate me being able to just put a game to sleep. And while compatibility certainly is an issue in my eyes it is only likely to improve w/ all the products, and there isn't a single "problem' game on the EZ4 that I care about.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Can only speak of the EZ4 and Supercard... for me Supercard pwns EZ4.... SC>EZ4 in DS and EZ4>SC in GBA .. but DS is more important.

But from what I hear and believe the M3 has the best aspects of both of the above cards so pwns both.

In the past the price of the M3 was rediculous when purchased together with a DS and passcard of some sort. But now the price is almost reasonable.

The G6 with 512MB ..is just frankly pants IMO. By Chrimbo I expect to be running 4-8GB cards in my Supercard and EZ4.. which makes them up to 16x bigger. They wil be perfect for the sure to come 256MB games to come this Christmas.

GeneralLeoFF

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@KidIce

Well it's not really for "justification" and it isn't anti EZ4 like you seem to have took what I said. It's OK though cuz yer post was still useful so now I say...

*GBA is irrelevant. All cards are about as good as each other. Though the G6 seems a bit weak in this field.

*DS is pretty good on all cards but some are better then others in different ways (Guess I'll be reading more about the EZ4/M3/G6 to decide).

*Screw the RTC. It's not that important (never was).

*Turns out I was wrong to say ditch the NOR on the EZ4 and boost the PSRAM. I would like to see an EZ cart with a larger NOR instead. 1Gbit would be nice. Passably say screw the PSRAM. It makes seance that it can be a bigger source of problems then the NOR. My current GBA flash cart is only 256 and it annoys the hell out of me to be limited so much. Boosting the NOR would proly kill the EZ4 price edge though wouldn't it?

*Guess it all doesn't matter and it pretty much is just about price in the long run. Guess it was proly just as pointless to ask.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
What we need is a device that uses SD Micro cards + good GBA support + near perfect NDS support + sitting flush in the NDS Lite

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*DS is pretty good on all cards but some are better then others in different ways (Guess I'll be reading more about the EZ4/M3/G6 to decide).

There are a few games that apparently work flawlessly on the M3/G6/SC that have problems on the EZ4, it's a patching issue, and they aren't games I care to play... Except Tony Hawk which I owned before I got my EZ4.
smile.gif

*Screw the RTC. It's not that important (never was).

That is about the size of it. It'd be like a flash cart w/ a solar sensor.

*Turns out I was wrong to say ditch the NOR on the EZ4 and boost the PSRAM. I would like to see an EZ cart with a larger NOR instead. 1Gbit would be nice. Passably say screw the PSRAM. It makes seance that it can be a bigger source of problems then the NOR. My current GBA flash cart is only 256 and it annoys the hell out of me to be limited so much. Boosting the NOR would proly kill the EZ4 price edge though wouldn't it?

There are plenty of 1 Gb NOR cards out there, an EZ2 for example sells in a 1 Gb flavor and is all NOR (well except for the battery backed SRAM for saves). Your cart likely uses NOR to store the GBA games. As far as price, yes, that was sort of the whole point behind putting NAND in these carts, so that they could make 2/4/8 Gb carts w/o them costing an arm and a leg.

It's funny that no one discusses the EZ2 as a competitor in these discussions, in fact, as it's perfect for GBA (even has a RTC), has similar DS compatibility to the EZ4, has no slow down or load times on DS or GBA games and a 1 Gb can be had for ~$80. Actually I think I just talked myself in to buying one.
smile.gif

The PSRAM isn't all bad BTW, as homebrew coders can actually use it as extra memory for their GBA code. For example there was an EZ3 only version of PCEAdvance that supported CD-ROM games that made use of the PSRAM.

QUOTE(GeneralLeoFF @ Jul 1 2006, 01:10 PM)
*Guess it all doesn't matter and it pretty much is just about price in the long run. Guess it was proly just as pointless to ask.

It all comes down to what is important to you.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

covert

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I made this choice a short time ago and I chose the M3 Slim SD.

I already have SD memory in every other device I own and another SD compatible device seemed like the logical choice.

I wanted good GBA support and good power consumption so the SC was ruled out very early on.

shaoranm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's funny that no one discusses the EZ2 as a competitor in these discussions, in fact, as it's perfect for GBA (even has a RTC), has similar DS compatibility to the EZ4, has no slow down or load times on DS or GBA games and a 1 Gb can be had for ~$80. Actually I think I just talked myself in to buying one.
smile.gif

Isn't there something about compatibility issues with EZ (not necessarily EZ4)? Since if you are going to use them for DS applications you would be needing Passme/Passcard variant, and currently Superkeys/Passcard does not support EZ... Or EZ2 and EZ Flash II are different (kinda confused here, really...) [This is actually the reason why I am thinking of purchasing another flashcart (probably supercard) although I have EZ Flash II, since I read that it is currently not supported by superkey/passcard variants]

Jasafar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to hang tight and wait for the new M3 to be released. Seems like the best option for DS Lite owners!
yaynds.gif

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
what is most important to you? size and 99% compatiblity, and MINOR lag in some games/ places. or 100% compatiblity, no minor lags in any game (at least what i've heard)

so... if you can stand tiny lags in a few places in even fewer games, get a memorycard flashcart... and if you care more about to play like the game was bought, get a G6/ G6 lite!

with my experience with M3 CF and sandisk extreme 3 1 GB (wich shows the best test results if you have that card..) BUT it's not 100% i've noticed lag in a few games... 3 or 4 times while playing tony hawk (only on 2 maps) on metroid everytime i opens a special kind of door... (that's quite often) and when many enemys are in one room (esp. big/ hard ones)

keiith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can only speak of the EZ4 and Supercard... for me Supercard pwns EZ4.... SC>EZ4 in DS and EZ4>SC in GBA .. but DS is more important.

But from what I hear and believe the M3 has the best aspects of both of the above cards so pwns both.

In the past the price of the M3 was rediculous when purchased together with a DS and passcard of some sort. But now the price is almost reasonable.

The G6 with 512MB ..is just frankly pants IMO. By Chrimbo I expect to be running 4-8GB cards in my Supercard and EZ4.. which makes them up to 16x bigger. They wil be perfect for the sure to come 256MB games to come this Christmas.

wtf man? ds games only go up to a maximum of 128mb or 1gbit... and only few games are this big such as Resident Evil. Even games like metroid prime hunters is 64mb and new super mario brothers is 32mb. The 512MB on the G6 Lite is sufficient for about playing 4+ minimum games at a time and it's enough I say unless you intend to use more storage for things such as mp3's or videos.

and what is "frankly pants"? "Chrimbo"?

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mods should close this thread. if the OP is too lazy to find out which flashcart is right for him, then he doesn't deserve to get one.

There's a search button and complete reviews and discussions on the differences,advantages,disadvantages.

These stupid threads has got to stop.

UnknownBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I just wanted to see the opinions of the people, nothing else. Like I said, I already looked on the flashcarts informations. If mods really find this thread 'stupid' then close it, I couldn't care less.
smile.gif
BTW, I have already decided what flash cart I'm gonna buy (G6).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi I am really sorry for your loss +2