Hacking What is the BEST micro SD to use with a flashcard?

• Thread starter SG
  • Start date
  • Views 1,989
  • Replies 18

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I did some research ages ago and was told that A-data did the best 4GB micro SD. Well, I'm after another 4GB card and apparently the A-data micro SDs are discontinued so I'm at a loss as to what kinds SD card is any good. Can anyone help me out?

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used kingston 2 GB, 4 GB and a Transcend 8 GB. They all worked well though Portrait of Ruin seems to have issues on any card I try.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Kingston 2GB has always been the best.
Not always. After a week of use, my Japanese Kingston 2GB suddenly needed a reformat. My mother's Taiwanese Kingston 2GB, though, didn't crap out at all.

Basically, what i'm saying is it depends on where you get the Kingston 2GB.
And also, 2GB isn't enough space for games.
blink.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I meant a microSDHC will take up more battery than a microSD.
And from my experience, a Taiwanese Kingston 2GB worked better than the Japanese Kingston 2GB, but the consensus here has always been Japanese > Taiwanese.
I guess it doesn't really matter though, since most likely you won't know which one you're buying.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I mean by that is that the DS can't read the data as fast as a computer. Thus, making Class 4 the easiest to use on a DS.

Note: I have no idea how these things actually work.
Note2: I had always thought Class 6 was the fastest, so this is a surprise to me. Again, my best guess is that the DS reads Class 6 slower so Class 4 is easier.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend 8GB if you like a lot of movies or games.

Yeah, I guess Kingston is your best bet. I think you should do a little more research on the Class 6 < Class 4 subject, though. There's some cheap A-Data's on ebay and probably all those other sites too.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SG said:
Thanks for replies - I found this but it's quite old: http://ricsi.priv.at/microsd.xls

What I don't get it is class 6 gives faster data transfer between PC and card why would a class 4 be faster on the DS?
Class 6 just means the card has a 6 MB/sec write speed.
Write speed does not affect how fast the flash cart plays ROMs. It only affects how fast you can transfer games from your computer to the microSD.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah right I SEE. That makes perfect sense - I can now advise others now - I love knowing tech stuff (my first PC build was really fun!). In fact I wish I knew everything there was to know about homebrewing on Wii.

FEFL said:

Yeah, I guess Kingston is your best bet. I think you should do a little more research on the Class 6 < Class 4 subject, though. There's some cheap A-Data's on ebay and probably all those other sites too.
Thanks, only games and not that many - 4GB will do nicely. A-Data appears non existent on eBay.

eBayed a Kingston for £8, made sure it was a British seller though! Class 4 as class 6s seems quite rare. Can always upgrade, at least it'll work decently when the flash card gets here (takes around 20 days anyway, and as I have uni and Spirit Tracks arriving soon this is no issue - it's more for back up and sampling games before buying than anything else - I love having hard copies).

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Inunah said:
And also, 2GB isn't enough space for games.
blink.gif
Not enough space for games???
wacko.gif

WTF are you talking about?
unsure.gif

I have 24 nds games (some are the larger ones at that), 6 GBA games, 2 SNES games, 3 Genesis games, Linux and DSOrganise on a 2GB.
gbasp.gif

I like Kingstons - they have the lifetime guarantee too.
lecture.gif

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SG said:
Ah right I SEE. That makes perfect sense - I can now advise others now - I love knowing tech stuff (my first PC build was really fun!). In fact I wish I knew everything there was to know about homebrewing on Wii.

FEFL said:

Thanks, only games and not that many - 4GB will do nicely. A-Data appears non existent on eBay.

eBayed a Kingston for £8, made sure it was a British seller though! Class 4 as class 6s seems quite rare. Can always upgrade, at least it'll work decently when the flash card gets here (takes around 20 days anyway, and as I have uni and Spirit Tracks arriving soon this is no issue - it's more for back up and sampling games before buying than anything else - I love having hard copies).
I found one under $15 (USD) bucks; but, I didn't realize you were British. Sorry. XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: