Gaming What is the best mech game for PSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Front mission 1st and front mission 3 are the best in the fm series. They are tactical rpgs. 1st is a SNES game but it was ported to psn. 3 is a ps1 title also found on the psn store.

RukaRoaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is also Xenogears (an rpg). It has an interesting story and is very much full of mechs. It is a ps1 title. I heard from a friend that the Gundam games on psp are pretty good, but I am not sure what he was referring to. Probably the most recently released one.. (a series maybe?)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There is also Xenogears (an rpg). It has an interesting story and is very much full of mechs.

He wanted good games, not massively overhyped catastrophes that have aged terribly. As regards to recommendations it really depends on the type of mech game OP is interested in.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

RukaRoaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He wanted good games, not massively overhyped catastrophes that have aged terribly. As regards to recommendations it really depends on the type of mech game OP is interested in.

Man, you really don't like that game, huh? Well either the case, just because you did not like it does not mean Metoroid0 won't. All I did was suggest a game that has mechs in it. I personally really enjoyed the story, but everyone has a particular interest.

Reactions: BAHIM Z 360

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
there's always the Armored Core games if you want something more actiony with tons of customization

Yeah, it really does have TONS of customization and graphics is smooth and awesome.
I only wish that story and genere are different.

Hi :) What do you mean by "massively overhyped" why is game that bad for you?

Man, you really don't like that game, huh? Well either the case, just because you did not like it does not mean Metoroid0 won't. All I did was suggest a game that has mechs in it. I personally really enjoyed the story, but everyone has a particular interest.

True, and thanks for the suggestion, i'l try it :)

Why are most PSP games like that, i mean RPG's or battle, there are no that much good action-adventure games without Chess mechanics in it (if you get me) I mean, there's NO Resident Evil for PSP wtf :O I thought while buying PSP that there's TONS of games for it and all of them are great, i also thought there will be all popular games just portable.... i'm little disapointed in PSP (little)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean by "massively overhyped" why is game that bad for you?

Xenogears is one of those games released at a time when Square could do no wrong and RPG's had just hit their stride in the West. Unfortunately it is hugely flawed and had aged terribly...

One of the biggest problems is the pacing...it's immensely slow and features "quests" which are just diversionary and feel tacked on for length. Whilst not immensely wordy (it's no Trails in the Sky) it does have a fair amount of script, which isn't a bad thing if there's care and attention put into it. The story is ok...it's not some fantastic RPG high point, it's just ok and unnecessarily opaque at the beginning. What kills it though is the god awful localisation....the translation team must have been paid in peanuts (not paid peanuts, paid with peanuts) because at times it's eye bleedingly awful and if you care a jot for something being well written this is NOT the game for you. Then there's the plaforming...the exploratory controls feel "loose"...it's difficult to describe but with the isometric view and relatively poor controls it turns enforced platforming sections into at times frustrating journeys. Furthermore the mech sections are a low point...not only do they feel distinctly underpowered compared to the normal character driven combat, but they're reliant on a fuel gauge which if you're not careful you'll burn through....you also need to pay attention to upgrades or you could find yourself totally screwed as far as impassible battles. Plus as a relic of a bygone age it has a relatively stupid encounter rate...it's not SMT Persona 2, but equally it's so far from being Persona 3 it's not funny.

The characters are also not great...the main characters really fail at fleshing their story out, and whilst partly due to the terrible writing, it really detracts from having empathy with them. Then there's the old chestnut of the game being unfinished...you have an overlong first disc you'll be tiring of after about 40 or 50 hours, and then the second disc is basically 14 hours of pictures and text with about 4 battles. It's not even well written or illustrated pictures and text.

Oh and did i mention the unavoidable bug that causes a freeze if a boss you fight late on in the game uses a particular special move? If you don't finish him asap then kiss your game goodbye....

I love great RPG's....and i love well written RPG's even more. Xenogears gets a 4/10 from me...ambitious but awful.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Xenogears is one of the worst games ever. Words can't describe how painfully overrated this game is... Like most jRPGs in general, but at least other jRPGs are enjoyable and have decent plots...

Although that is not its main problem. I can stand people who say they enjoyed it. Not all gamers have a good taste in games. And most of them probably played it at release, when the standards were pretty low and games with a plot other than "save the princess" relatively rare(on consoles that is).

But i am ready to hit anyone who dares say in front of me that somehow this game was "deep" and had "religious symbolism" and "hidden meaning". Seriously, there are nerds out there who believe this crap. It seems all Square had to do, was slap some Bible names here and there, and shazam! "hidden deeper meaning"... Well, maybe if you are 12 yr old, but if you are old enough and educated enough, it just sucks...

Reactions: Metoroid0

Claxus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
claxus.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeesh, the guy just wants mech games. Xenogears has mechs, and if he'd like it or not, just leave it at that. Well, I live for mech games, so here's some of my favorites:

Macross Triangle Frontier: An amazing game IMO, tons of content and missions, really fun gameplay, switching between three forms and fighting tons of enemies with missiles flying everywhere. Slight mech color customization, and stat upgrading. Great graphics, and there's an academy story mode, but the game is Japanese. There's a good translation guide on GameFAQs, though.

Another Century's Episode Portable: I love the ACE series, and this is like a pocket ACE3. No real story, but it's lengthy and has lots of units from many different mecha series. Good action game, and can be pretty challenging.

Armored Core: If you can get used to the controls, they're excellent PS2 ports. AC3, AC Silent Line, and AC Last Raven. Definitely some of the best mech customization games out there. AC Formula Front was made for PSP, and easier controls, but they tweaked some things and made it 1 vs. 1 only.

Gundam Assault Survive: This is practically like Macross Triangle Frontier, though it came first, and is more ground-combat based. And Gundam, of course. But their gameplay is actually very similar in a lot of ways.

Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT Plus: Great 2 vs 2 3D fighting game with tons of units to choose from, each with unique movesets.

Carnage Heart EXA: A game about programming mechs. You can also control one manually, but it's based on 3 vs. 3 mech AI battles. If you like the idea of programming automatic battle mechs, this game's incredible. It also has a visual novel story, which is pretty good.

Battle Robot Damashii: Another game with very similar gameplay to Macross TF or Gundam AS. More like Gundam AS with ground based combat, but this game has many different series like ACE, and actually, no Gundams.

Danball Senki: Not really mechs... But small mech model kits battling. Highly Japanese, however, but it has a very long story. The combat is good, though, and you can customize your small mechs with tons of parts and weapons. It's an action RPG. Go for the expansion, Danball Senki BOOST. And there's a sequel, DS W.

And honorable mentions, other mech games are Gundam Memories, Gundam AGE Cosmic Drive/Accel Universe, Kisou Ryouhei Gunhound EX, and any Super Robot Wars on PSP if you like strategy games and can deal with all the Japanese.

Arisato Minato

Trophies
XP
Country
So many recommendations and yet no one ever mention Super Robot War ?

Super Robot War Z-2 Hakai Hen and Super Robot War Z-2 Saisei Hen.

Good Graphic and Animation ? Check.
Good Story ? Check.
Good Sountrack ? Check
Easy to understand gameplay but also challenging ? Check

Reactions: CrashmanX

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Also if you want to play Danball a team and myself are working on an English menu patch. I don't know how much (if any) of the story will be done by the time I'm aiming for the 1st release but I would like to do it.
Also I already have a Menu Patch out for Gundam AGE, again no story though.

EDIT: Don't forget that SRW A is on PSP and a few other SRW games that are translated are playable on PSP (like SRW Alpha Gaiden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: