What is the best IOS version/revision

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaouad, Jan 1, 2011.

Jan 1, 2011
  1. jaouad
    OP

Member jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I recently opened a thread about dkcr having a little bit of lag in the opening cutscene. So I went looking around the net and found out that the IOS's make the difference on how fast the HDD gets readen. I tried out revision 20 and the new revision 21 with:

IOS 248: 58
    IOS 249: 56
    IOS 250: 57

but they didn't solve the problem. All 3 of them had a little bit of lag though one of them had the slightest. I felt like I was close to my goal but I don't feel like connecting and reconnecting the cable again and again. I only have 1 lan cable and no WIFI.

So yeah, what's the best IOS revision? Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: Maybe it's better to ask if you have the same problem or not, and if not which revision you use.

2. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    With all the base IOSes and installation slots available, I've taken to this setup in order to keep them straight.

246 -> base 56
    247 -> base 57
    248 -> base 58 (if you're sensing a pattern, that's the point...)
    249 -> base 38 it's tried and true and stable (unlike some of the minor issues that kept popping up when base 57 started getting popular)
    250 -> base 37 for the games that need it

I do this b/c it used to be just 249 -> base 38 was your only option, so I just keep it that way. Then when there were multiple base options but no slot options (was it rev 18 or 19?) I kept 249/38 and then did a wad install of 250/37 for music games. Now I keep those two that way and the numbering lines up nicely for base 56-58 and slot 246-248.

With that said, I use 246 (base 56) for most of my games, because I find it to be the fastest. 247 (base 57) is a close second, and needed for some games such as CoD: BO

(For Hermes I use 222/38, 223/37, 224/57, and 202/38. Again, 202/38 is for the stability, especially since most homebrew is moving away from IOS202 usage anyway. Out of these, 224/57 is the fastest for game loading).

3. plasmata

Newcomer plasmata Member

Canada
    I'm trying to do something similar but I don't want to use slots 249, 222 and 223 to avoid the update nag. I've had to fix a wii twice now after someone updated. [​IMG] The problem is, I want to use multiple Hermes cios versions but it only gives the option of installing in slots 222, 223 or 224. I can put 57 into 224 but is there any way to install bases 37 and 38 into say, 227 and 228?

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Yes there is. By using bluedump, you can dump an installed cIOS to a wad (so make sure you've got bases 37 and 38 installed in slots you know). Then, open that wad/those wads with showmiiwads. Among the options is the possibility to change the used slot. Change that to whatever slot you want it to take (227 or 228). After that, install those modified wads with a simple wad manager.

...and finally, you've got to set your USB loader to run DKCR, using the slots you've taken.
    EDIT: as mentioned by FIX below, the chosen slot number has to be one that is recognized by USB loaders.

Oh, and...do yourself a favor and install priiloader as well on the wii's you hack. It has an option to block disc updates (games with updates on them still work fine in at least 95% of the cases).

For the record: I finished DKCR on rev20, base IOS 56 without any lag whatsoever (I changed from 222 after it hung on me once or twice). As such, your lag may be because of driver-related issues (what brand of USB drive do you have?). Perhaps defragging may also help.

5. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    I've never heard you can choose EVERY IOS slot in a USB Loader...

6. plasmata

Newcomer plasmata Member

Canada
    Thanks Wever, I'll try that. Could I also just take one of the ModMii downloaded cIOS wads and just use showmiiwads to change the slot number? So take they're 223 wad (cIOS223[37-38]-v4) and use showmiiwads to change the slot to 227?

The newest Priiloader was installed. My understanding is that even with it, 4.2 and 4.3 discs ask to update if you have a cIOS in 222, 223 or 249. Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. FIX94

Germany
    If you have the disable disc updates option enabled it will not come, it's not important how new the disc is.

8. plasmata

Newcomer plasmata Member

Canada
    Hmmm. I'm sure I had disc and online updates disabled. Plus I see on the ios249 and ios 222/223 wiki's that it says they will still update.

9. FIX94

Germany
    This simply mean it will ask for an update without the hack enabled, that's it.

10. plasmata

Newcomer plasmata Member

Canada
    Okay, thanks. I guess I'll have to double check the Priiloader settings.

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    You're absolutely correct: not all the slots are selectable. This depends on the loader used. Wiiflow and CFG allow slots from roughly 245-250 (haven't followed progress on GX, so can't tell), so you may have to choose those slots.

12. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    I cant get bluedump to work at all, and wad creator (and some other apps) don't work with anything after rev 17. Thats why in slot 249 I still have rev 17, and have the newer ones in the other slots.

13. jaouad
    OP

Netherlands
    I am raelly grateful to all your reactions. My other 2 threads weren't so popular sadly. Especially qwertymode, i'm gonna try that out now!!

14. plasmata

Newcomer plasmata Member

Canada
    I was able to take the 223 wad from ModMii [37-38]-v4 and change the slot to 227 in showmiiwads. Though I haven't tried to install the wad yet.

15. Skiller

Member Skiller GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    since the use of Base Ios iv used 57 and 37 and thats been it and iv never seen any slowdown issues and iv loaded alot of games using them ..
    Slowdown issues can also pertain to the type of Drive your using with the loader . Example i use a drive that comes in 2 parts Hdd and Enclosure..
    i did once use a LP(5400rpm) hdd and noticed a Slowdown but never once on any of the 7200rpm..

16. jaouad
    OP

Netherlands
    Does it matter which revision you use or all they all the same? And also @ qwertymodo. Does DKCR lag at the opening cutscene for your settings?

17. plasmata

Newcomer plasmata Member

Canada
    Looks like I had an older Priiloader on it (0.4). I updated it to 0.6 so hopefully no more updates.

18. jaouad
    OP

Netherlands
    Hey guys, so recently revision 21 came out. Is it better than 19? (the one i'm using now)

19. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It is recommended that you use 249dx56 v3 and 250dx57 v3. They are modified versions of rev21.

20. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    You guys live in the past. Screw cIOS already and use UNEEK+DI or sorgeligs solution.