Homebrew Question What Is The Best "In Home Game Streaming" Solution For Switch?

GibboHull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

To cut a long story short I'm looking to see if there are any game streaming solutions that I have missed for the Switch, I've tried a few and they are all *almost* there but there are niggling things keeping it from being the perfect expereince.

So far I've tried:
In Home Switching - Great little homebrew app, but had frequent controller disconnects and the audio was really distorted, also had to unmount the virtual controller every time I used my keyboard again for games.

Rainway & Moonlight Embedded on L4T Linux - Worked but incredibly slowly. Huge input lag too. Which is to be expected really - not what L4T is built for.

Moonlight on Switchbrew Android - Almost there, I'm talking 95%, but the analog sticks on the joy-con are locked to 8 directions when connected through bluetooth, also it seems that they also behave as a d-pad instead of an analog stick. Think this is something to do with drivers but I'm sure that team has much more important things to be doing then fixing that.

Are there any other options out there that I'm missing by any chance?

The only other thing I can think of is to use my 8bitdo adapter and connect the Joy-Cons to the switch using that - but not sure if it Android supports USB input or if it needs other drivers that would cause lineage to break.

Cheers!

Reactions: Csmrcc

Beckershoff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really good question! Currently Moonlight under Android is for me personally the best approach and is giving me the best results.

Sadly I also cannot use the joycons properly due to the lacking analog support and therefor looking for a solution :-/

I am still hoping a skillful developer is able to port Moonlight to the Switch.. I would even be willing to pay for this!

GibboHull

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Me too, very much so!

As far as I know the reason why it's not viable on switch natively because we don't have access to to video decoding through Horizon.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have gotten USB to work on android, you have to dig through the XDA forums to find it. But its not clear to me whether the 8bitdo adapter works on like, standard android in the first place. If it does then you'd probably be fine.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Moonlight on Switchbrew Android - Almost there, I'm talking 95%, but the analog sticks on the joy-con are locked to 8 directions when connected through bluetooth, also it seems that they also behave as a d-pad instead of an analog stick. Think this is something to do with drivers but I'm sure that team has much more important things to be doing then fixing that.
Yeah the not-really-analogue behaviour with joycons is the main bummer about playing games on Switch android, but the issue is understood and will be resolved one way or another hopefully before too long. It's a bug in android's bluetooth stack that stops the fully-functional joycon driver from working, it's resolved in newest android but someone is going to have to backport the new bluetooth stack or do something else of similar complexity. Hopefully won't take forever.

phillyrider807

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea right now Moonlight via android is the best way but without a bluetooth controller u not gonna have analog support until they fix that. I've been using it to play "Pokemon Insurgence" in bed lol.

I still dont know why vita can have a native moonlight app but not switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.