What is the best gaming PC I can get for $500 or less?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by duffmmann, Aug 1, 2017.

1. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    With $100 of that being reserved for a nice monitor. No specific games need to be played with exception to the fact that I'd like to be able to play the likes of GTA 5 and Overwatch on it.

2. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Good luck.

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
  4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It sounds like you should start browsing your area's Craigslist

5. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Beware of some Craigslist.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. Jarmenti

Jarmenti Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2016
    Canada
    step 1.. buy off lease workstation for a couple hundred, step 2 add video card, step 3 profit!

LightyKD and NutymcNuty like this.
  7. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty GBATemp's Autismo

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thats what my friend ended up doing for less than $100, I told him to get a optiplex 760 to replace his p4 computer.

LightyKD likes this.
  8. Jarmenti

Jarmenti Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2016
    Canada

NutymcNuty likes this.
  9. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    A $400 build is usually pretty feasible, but the cryptocurrency mining scene rose to prominence again earlier this year and drove up the price of a lot of graphics cards. I could probably throw something together on PCPartPicker, just don't expect anything a whole lot greater than console (PS4/Xbone) quality.

10. HugaTheFox

HugaTheFox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Search Austin Evans

11. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    All brand new parts, a bit of room to upgrade later, but relies on rebates and a separate Windows key to stay under $400. Some assembly required. Could probably get an RX 460 or GTX 1050 for similar price and performance, if the 560's not your cup of tea.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzZcD8

12. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Awful supply though. Older review, but

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/18/raidmax_cobra_power_500w_supply_review/

"From start to finish, the only high point we could find with this unit today was the noise output, but even that gave us concerns as there is no good reason why it should be so quiet. Other than that, the Cobra Power 500W had poor voltage regulation, out of specification Transient Load Test results, mediocre DC output quality, poor component selection/build quality, and laughable efficiency. If the options were buy this unit or buy a hamster on a wheel to power your PC then you only have only one question. What do hamsters eat? In the grand scheme of things, there are good units, there are cheap units, and there are good cheap units. This power supply is none of those things and, at $58.92, this unit is 7 cents more expensive than the barely mediocre EVGA 500B while being a worse performing unit"

13. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    It wouldn't need to be, I really don't care about the highest resolutions or 4K, if it can play my favorite games at a steady FPS, then that's all that really matters.

14. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Exactly!

EBay is your friend in this case. Just built my wife a gaming rig using a Dell Optiplex 755 I spent about 222.84 in total. I already had a GPU and two hard drives hanging around (32GB for the win 10 install and 1TB for games). The 222.84 factors in the possible price of the parts I already had. Being that the motherboard is kinda old, I had to settle for a Core 2 Quad processor and 8GB of DDR2 ram. Overall it's playing games pretty damn well in 720p. Just to remember to plan for the type of games you want to play. Select a game you know you want in your collection and build a rig with that game in mind. For a while I was using a GT-730. It served me well for a lot of games, even including Mass Effect Andromeda. Only game that gave me trouble was Street Fighter 5 so I upgraded to a GT-1030 for the extra power and gave my wife the GT-730.

Last edited by LightyKD, Aug 7, 2017
    Jarmenti likes this.
  15. Skyshadow101

Skyshadow101 The Sky Is The Limit!

May 22, 2016
    United States
    The Underground
    If you want some good deals, go on r/buildapcsales on Reddit! You can find some wicked deals on there. For instance, I've actually seen a few 2 tb hard drives go on sale for $40-$50.

16. LongDongSilver

LongDongSilver GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2016
    United States
    The Buvvins
    austin evans has a good video on a 400$ pc which isnt half bad, it could be a bit better with a 1050 Ti which would cost like 20$ more. Scrounge around locally i picked up a GTX 980 for 100$ from a guy that was super desperate for money