What is the best console to have homebrew on, and why?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by CPG, Apr 21, 2019.

?
  1. Wii

19 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Wii U

21 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Switch

15 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. 3ds

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. PS2 (FreeMcBoot)

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Other

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp's Personal Computer Wiz

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    Most original Wii's from what I know do have GC support. Mine does. In fact my Wii is still original...untampered. Never homebrewed.

2. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    There was a model revision in Canada only I think? That is Wii Only.

Wii MIni

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    In Europe too.:)

CORE likes this.
  4. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp's Personal Computer Wiz

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    The Wii Mini was released in the United States. If you mean a revision where GC support was removed from it then that's sad.

Last edited by TheTechWiz25, Apr 21, 2019
    CORE likes this.
  5. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    plus PS3 can play PSX discs without any convertions, all other consoles require y ou to convert them into ISO/rom 1st.

the last psx game i played on ps3 was Silent Bomber, it was so fun, too bad we didn't get any sequel.

alexander1970 likes this.
  6. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    Wii U has everything the Wii has, plus all Wii U library.

CORE likes this.
  7. CORE

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    @leon315 I totally forgot about PS3 and being able to play PS1 - PS2 - PS3 is awesome and you also got RetroArch can the PS3 play PSP Games? Digital I mean? But @leon315 being able to convert to ISO is a Blessing Disc Drives Dont Last!

Oh might as well throw in PS2 and Pops PS1 damn love these Consoles prior 2012 Wii U for me the last True Console XBOXOne and PS4 just Restricted HTPCs same for Switch only Android Tablet I will take a Shield instead thanks but I will also take a Switch if anyone wants to donate one:switch: That is how I ended up with a PS4 my Friend gave me his since he upgraded to Pro. I would not have one if it were not for him I really dont care for it besides Exclusives.

Last edited by CORE, Apr 21, 2019
  8. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Wii = advanced Gamecube
    The most hardware/equipment for the Wii was original designed for the Gamecube.:)

CORE likes this.
  9. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    yep, you can even extract ISO from psx discs through Multiman, and ps3 has $ony's official PS2-psp emulator in later FW, so you don't need Retroarch for psp games. it doesn't cover 100% of library but it's still quite large!

Plus playing Mario games on $ony's console is simply priceless :P

Last edited by leon315, Apr 21, 2019
    CORE likes this.
  10. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    The best console to have homebrew on is the one you have and use.

ELY_M and alexander1970 like this.
  11. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I knew my SNES had a greater purpose!

CORE likes this.
  12. ELY_M

ELY_M GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    I am going with Nintendo Switch because you can take it with you to anywhere. It is my most favorite console to have homebrew.
    I done more on my switch than other consoles I have.

Stwert likes this.
  13. Stwert

Stwert GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Stwert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Scotland
    Only the Wii Mini, it cant play GameCube games. But you wouldn’t want one of those pieces of crap anyway.

Other than that, all Wii’s play GameCube games and can use GameCube discs.

CORE likes this.
  14. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    The Wii is the best bang for your buck. I'd have voted Wii U but they're still $100+ whereas a Wii can be found with all accessories and 2 Wiimotes for a $20 bill. Add in SD card cost and you have a retro machine for 30$. Thats cheaper than a retropie

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I will ignore the likes of the Amiga as homebrew on an ostensibly open system... yeah.

Homebrew is more than emulation to me. Indeed emulation is but a tiny fraction of it all. I like emulation but it is a trivial thing these days (was back when as well but for ease of use a hacked console represented something). On the flip side remakes of old games is a different matter.

Anyway that leaves 5 main contenders. Backwards compatibility + a bit of token extra stuff I am ignoring, and none of them make the experience so much radically better that it gets hard -- none showcase stuff like that fancy mode 7 filter or high resolution rendering or anything like that.

Xbox, GBA, DS, PSP, Wii.

No other device has seen the levels of creativity and drive to make cool shit as those devices. I have serious doubts we ever will see it again either as somewhat open devices reign again and I can't see a nominally closed device overcome that, nor having interesting enough hardware to justify it.

The wii was a bit of an anomaly. There was some good homebrew beyond emulators and systems management but not as much of it and it did not do as much as the others. What homebrew it got often struggled to shed the tech demo... I am going to say stigma but want a better term than that.

The xbox had xbmc which was a complete game changer for a lot of things. After linux though it was mostly emulation that drew people in.

The GBA. Did very well here and set the stage for what was to come but has been overshadowed by the DS and PSP. That said there are still some absolute gems in its homebrew catalogue ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/links-to-various-gbatemp-features-over-the-years.352851/ features a few and notes more in passing).

DS vs PSP then. On the emulator side of things the PSP won overall but most of that was "I'll port this old PC emulator as C compilation is a thing that can be done here" which contrasted with the GBA/DS approach of tightly coded emulators doing good stuff. I dismissed emulation already. The PSP's extra power allowed it a more or less fully realised version of SDL which helped a lot of take off, and its extra power was put to use on many occasions to do things the DS could not. On the other hand the DS' touch screen did a lot for it, and what the DS did get was often very fun and put together with the DS in mind, plus all the ports of various protocols.

If you had a DS and PSP while they were active then you probably would have had the best time in homebrew on any device.

zomborg, Flame and alexander1970 like this.
  16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wii is absolutely perfect for Snes with Snes9x GX 4.4.0, NES with Nestopia Undead, GBA with mGBA*, and Genesis with Genesis Plus GX.

*mGBA runs every commercial GBA game full speed, unlike VBA GX, which struggles with many games and frameskipping abound.

brickmii82 likes this.
  17. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    thank you. somebody understands. people posting which games they console can run made by the console manufacturer makes it the best homebrew device.

"lol my device can run all the Nintendo library" thanks to nintendo.

homebrew is something which is not made by the console manufacturer.

great homebrews are like moonshell on the DS, xbmc on the OG Xbox. TWiLight Menu++ on the DSi.

18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'd be more inclined to use homebrew if there were more apps like media players for the N3DS and the like.

Flame likes this.
  19. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    well homebrew devs can do so much. its about using resources for what is needed. would it be worth it making a media player on the 3DS when almost every other device these days can play media files.

when moonshell was made, it was wow. smart phones was not a thing yet on the level it is today.

imo homebrew is about giving people what they want what the console manufacturer wouldnt care or waste they time with but with in reason. i.e. android on the switch. kodi on the Wii U

kodi on the Wii U would make sense, it would be able to do HD videos(i think) even use the gamepad as a way to view and control the videos. with out you needing to convert them to different size or format.

Last edited by Flame, Apr 21, 2019
  20. zomborg

zomborg Makin Temp great again

Apr 17, 2015
    United States
    My response is based only on my experience. My vote is for the Wii and Original Xbox.
    My wii could do everything but fry eggs. My Xbox could do almost as much and XBMC was so freakin cool!
    I can't really weigh in on the Wii U because I've never modded one.