What is the best console to have homebrew on, and why?

What is it?

• Wii

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Wii U

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Switch

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • 3ds

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • PS2 (FreeMcBoot)

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 19 20.9%

• Total voters

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Biggest advantage in my opinion goes to Wii for the ability to run GameCube games via Nintendont. Special mention also to the original Xbox. The fact that it's pretty much a PC in a console meant that it was a pretty amazing emulation machine that's still getting support and being able to use XBMC that played almost every video format.

Almost forgot about the PSP. Apart from the obvious ISO loader, the retro emulation on it is great but being able to convert and play PS games is also amazing even if it's lacking a few buttons to play properly.

Reactions: Daggot

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going with wiiu

It can play every nes, snes, 64, gc, wii, wiiu, gb, gbc, gba and ds

(Not to mention other systems)

It's got everything

I would say switch, but its lack of GameCube and Wii games is the deciding factor

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must say the wii. I run all my games from an sdcard. I could add an external drive, but I don’t need THAT much space. It’s pretty flexible. Also, a nice plus is the amount of different controllers we can use. The GameCube controller is great for Mario kart 7.

Having your nand emulated in the sdcard is pretty cool. I haven’t done that, but it’s a nice option that I should totally take advantage of.

If you are looking for a handheld option, it’s absolutely the psp or vita (pretty same). A wide library of games are readily available.

D

Deleted_413010

I would say the 3DS. It supports (total) the NES, SNES, GBA, GBC, GB, Game Gear, DSi & the DS

Its alot but probably not as much as some others on the market. Atleast the new model can run DOSBox.

Last edited by , , Reason: Forgot a system
D

Deleted_413010

I stick with Wii U, that's just me though.

Surprises me that you have a Wii U. It wasn't the most successful thing. The 3DS had to have been easier to hack than the Switch even though the Switch got hijacked faster due to a hardware flaw (surprisingly). The 3DS just plugs in an SD Card a couple times and you follow the instructions. The Switch is a bit more complicated than that.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got to go with Switch (and Vita as a close second). For different reasons than many I suppose. I really only use emulation when I’m away from home, so it has to be a portable system for me.

The Switch isn’t as good as say, the WiiU for system compatibility, but it is portable and I can play my Switch games on it.

Before the Switch, the Vita was my system of choice. But I’ve always disliked the D-Pad on the Vita, so the Switch has taken over. Not that I love the Switch D-Pad, but at least it’s easier to use for me.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surprises me that you have a Wii U. It wasn't the most successful thing. The 3DS had to have been easier to hack than the Switch even though the Switch got hijacked faster due to a hardware flaw (surprisingly). The 3DS just plugs in an SD Card a couple times and you follow the instructions. The Switch is a bit more complicated than that.

Why is that a surprise? 3DS is nice but has its own set of flaws, i.e. the weak CPU and even the N3DS has flaws, I've yet to see Snes cores take full advantage of the 800 MHz.
There hasn't been much progress on 3DS homebrew this year, much less apps that take more advantage of the higher clock speed.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Personal choice:

1. Wii - today very easy to Softmod,has very comfortable Game Loader(s),is very stable,great console.
2. PS2 - without Modchip the "phat" Models are very easy to Softmod,has good Game Loader,is very stable.
3. XBox 1 - with the required "paraphernalias" easy to softmod,good Game Loaders,very stable,can use for Music/Video/Games/Network.Great Allrounder.

1. PSP - very easy and quick to Softmod,great Game Loader,very stable,can use as PSX "substitute"
2. DSi - sadly very hard to Softmod if you don´t have the required "Software",but easiest to use with Flashcards (if you have the correct Kernel/Menu).If Softmodded,then TWiLight is the first choice.
3. DS Lite - with a Slot 2 Device,maybe FlashMe and a Slot 1 Flashcard THE All in One Solution for GB/GBC/GBA/NDS Games.

:)

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wii U HomeBrew = Wii U , Wii , NGC and along with other upcoming developments but NGC Alone Wins!:yayu:

@Coolsonickirby Does have a point though Wii is in there with Wii U:yaywii:

But XBOX is not in the main Poll Come on! never mind other.

Last edited by CORE,

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shouldn't Wii U and Wii be counted the same since they're both on the same console? You have all the benefits of homebrewing a Wii on the Wii U + more.

Well, they are different in their own ways. While the Wii U can use GameCube iso’s thanks to Nintendont. It can’t use original GameCube Discs, or for that matter, controllers without an adapter.

Plus, the obvious one, they are different architectures. Which makes them discreet, independent systems and not everyone will own both of them.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're Architectures arent that different and the Wii U has x2 GPUs one WiiU GX2 and Wii GX.
How do you think vWii and NGC works :wink:

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Just because the Wii U wasn’t one of Nintendo’s most popular systems, doesn’t mean some of us didn’t buy it.

There’s some 14 million or so of us who realised it had a heck of a lot of good games released on it. Personally, I also loved the controller. It meant I could play games in the same room as my family, when the main TV was in use. So I didn’t have to slink off to the office to play games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They're Architectures arent that different and the Wii U has x2 GPUs one WiiU GX2 and Wii GX.
How do you think vWii and NGC works :wink:

I’m more than aware of their architectures and capability’s. While each of the newer systems (Wii and Wii U) are essentially more powerful versions of the GameCube. The fact remains, they are still separate systems. Each having features the others do not.

While the Wii U can in one way or another use it’s predecessors software. The sales were quite abysmal, so not as many people own one of those as compared to the Wii. How does one, in good conscience, vote for a system they neither own or use.

Reactions: CORE

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wii U followed by the original Xbox.

Xbox was great back in the day. Well, it still is, still use mine. The fact that it was basically a mini pc in a custom box (and was easy to hack) really helped it along.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0