What is the best *.cia installer right now?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ev1l0rd, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Ev1l0rd ◥▷◁◤ Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    So um... yeah. What is the best? I'm looking for a good one, as I've been using FBI a lot recently, but I see some people use DevMenu, others use NASA and others use BigBlueMenu. What are the features all current *.cia installers have, and what features make each unique?

2. pofer

pofer GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Spain
    Somewhere around the corner
    Big Blue Menu or DevMenu

3. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    BigBlueMenu and Devmenu are the same. I prefer using FBI because it's more userfriendly.

4. wielku

wielku Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Poland
    FBI has installing over network and is reliable and also updated from time to time so I would say it the best for someone who just installs cias

5. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    A .CIA installer installs .CIA files. Nothing more. They all use the same exploits to do it, same speed, some of them have an option to delete a CIA. Did you want a 5 star meal with one of them...? They are the same thing. Just made by different people. ( Not being mean. )

GalladeGuy and m37r01d like this.
  6. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    For themes use BBB/DevMenu, for everything else use FBI.

hiten likes this.
  7. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    DevMenu 11.4 is my personal preference. :^)

cvskid likes this.
  8. SomeGamer

SomeGamer Within Hyrule Castle

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    DevMenu because it handles DLC with ease.

9. KFC Double Down

KFC Double Down Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    DevMenu/BBM aren't finicky about themes and DLC like FBI can be at times, FBI can install cias over a network which lets you cram every last byte on your SD with games if you don't have 2x the cia's space.
    I end up using DM/BBM for general-purpose and FBI for when something's too big for my SD at the moment.

verifyvenuz and Tomato Hentai like this.
  10. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    DevMenu or BBM. There's no difference between the two that I can see.

11. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    BigBlueMenu and Devmenu. I never used FBI because it always fails to install non-legit CIA files for me. (Invalid signature)

12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer Within Hyrule Castle

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Also, DevMenu 11.4 master race!

13. Buttsnake

Buttsnake "Mods please close this thread"

Aug 23, 2015
    United States
    Inside your SD card
    Honestly doesn't matter. Both have benefits and from what I have seen, people have different experiences with different cia installers. People had fbi go faster and some others got devmenu/Big blue menu to go faster. And they both have their own benefits. People got BBM to install DLC successfully or more successfully than FBI. FBI can install cia over the network. It really is situational. I have both on my 3DS just in case I need one or the other

14. Osga21

Osga21 King Of All Cosmos

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    DevMenu installs everything, but may also screw your system up if you don't know what you're doing. FBI is safer, but doesn't install some cias, same with BigBlueMenu. Soon2 is the most noob friendly and the prettiest, but has some trouble installing non game cias afaik.
    For games I use Soon, and when it isn't able to install something I'll whip up dev menu

15. Luglige

Luglige Resident Hell Spawn

Jan 24, 2016
    Antarctica
    under your bed
    I use FBI But i like the SOON2 GUI. But i have NASA, FBI, SOON, SOON2,Dev Menu,and BBM. So i just use what i come across :P

KytuzuEX likes this.
  16. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    I use DevMenu for DLC and certain things I can't install with FBI, but i generally use FBI for everything else. Whether I install the cia file from the SD card or over LAN (a feature I love so much).

17. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    沖縄県
    DevMenu cause it's simple and easy to use.

18. Ki18

Ki18 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    I prefer FBI. The layout is as basic as can be, making it a gem to use. You can't get lost and you know what you're doing the second you open it. I'll never use anything over it.

19. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    I use the newest Devmenu leak but when I get errors I try a reinstall in FBI because it gives me an error I can resolve myself or search up instead of a generic "The import failed!".

20. Chelsea_Fantasy

Chelsea_Fantasy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    @Osga21 SOON!2 handles CIA files installation with the same fails as any other CIA installer created with the actual Homebrew SDKs, also FBI is not safer than DevMenu. FBI shows NAND and SD titles, DevMenu only shows SD titles.
    @Ruby Gloom not all the CIA installers installs files at the same speed
    @Ev1l0rd to "decide" the "best" cia installer (or uninstaller) we must think carefully, there is no a "best" one in every point, just check my conclussions:

Now that everyone of you are asking about the "BEST" cia installer, let's say something:

About security:
    WARNING:
    Every HOMEBREW cia installer WILL HAVE TROUBLES installing Updates and DLC contents (by example: Custom Themes). Just check the "Howling Theme Tool" thread and you will see, there are a lot of people talking about the troubles of installing DLC contents with Homebrew installers.
    To install Updates and DLC contents USE ONLY OFFICIAL NINTENDO INSTALLERS aka: DevMenu or his mod: BigBlueMenu
    You can use HOMEBREW installers without any kind of fear, they will install flawless and in most cases, will install faster.
    About bricking: FBI, NASA and BigRedMenu shows NAND titles, so you have to be careful because YOU MAY BRICK your 3DS using them.
    SOON!2, DevMenu and BigBlueMenu shows ONLY SDMC titles, so you are safe, you will NEVER BRICK your 3DS using them.

About speed:
    My speed test results installing Extetra:
    1- SOON!2 v2.0.0 = 08:37:132
    2- BigRedMenu 1.5 = 08:41:683
    3- FBI 1.4.17 = 08:54:361
    4- DevMenu 11.4 = 09:10:917
    5- NASA 1.1 = 09:45:630
    6- BigBlueMenu = 09:56:126
    (displayed as: minutes:seconds:milliseconds)

About interface, in my opinion, this is my top 5 of best interfaces:
    1- SOON!2 (cool interface, user friendly and shows cover art, also, childproof and intuitive)
    2- DevMenu / BigBlueMenu (intuitive simple interface with everything well arranged)
    3- FBI (haves a good interface with everything displayed on it, but it's not so well arranged in my opinion)
    4- NASA (it's kinda hard "imagine" which button I have to press to do something as it does not displays any information)
    5- BigRedMenu (same as NASA, but this one also starts in "NAND" section and I have to imagine with fear what should I press to change to "SD")

Final recommendations:
    - For installing Games / Applications: Use "SOON!2"
    - For installing DLC and Updates: Use "DevMenu" or "BigBlueMenu"
    - For deleting games:
    If you want to keep your game's savedata:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    If you do not care about your game's savedata or simply want to delete and application:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    - For deleting NAND titles: Use "FBI", "BigRedMenu" or "NASA", but remember to be careful because you can brick your NAND if you delete an important NAND title, do this only if you are 100% sure of what you are doing.

hiten, hyno111, Guantanamo and 5 others like this.