Hacking What is the best 1TB HDD for the usb loader?

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked the compatibility list but it seems like not everyone reported. So which is the best because I almost bought one the other day at fry's but i was afraid it wouldn't work for the usb loader so i decided to do a little more research.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
JJBro1 said:
I checked the compatibility list but it seems like not everyone reported. So which is the best because I almost bought one the other day at fry's but i was afraid it wouldn't work for the usb loader so i decided to do a little more research.
You don't need 1TB for the loader... I've a 500Gb for my wii only and 61 games doesn't take more than 200GB. Take a smaller 2.5" and use it for you wii only (separate harddrive for separate usage: best way to backup and don't lose you isos if the disc crash)

wiigee

Trophies
XP
Country
currently using a wd 1tb drive partitioned into 2 halves (500gb for wii, 500gb ntfs)

so far 230 games on it, 360gb used

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bladexdsl said:
problem is you'll only be able to use 512 GB of it since usbf only reads max 512gb.

the loader can't write to such a large partition (yet)
but if you use a pc application to put games on the hdd, it will work and the loader will be able to read them

Jeomite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So... is it possible to have a single 1TB WBFS partition; use a PC app like WBFS Manager to add games (and not use USB Loader to add games)?

In short, does the 512GB limit apply only to the USB Loader app; will the USB Loader app read past 512GB?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Jeomite said:
So... is it possible to have a single 1TB WBFS partition; use a PC app like WBFS Manager to add games (and not use USB Loader to add games)?

In short, does the 512GB limit apply only to the USB Loader app; will the USB Loader app read past 512GB?
2x yes

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm also interested in knowing what HDD is the best to use with the USB Loader. .

best 1TB?
best 500GB?

what is everyone using? i want to buy one that has no problems at all reading ISOs.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I am currently using a 1TB WD Essentials drive with a 340GB WBFS partition for the loader, 10GB FAT32 for wads, and the rest NTFS for ISO images copied from the WBFS partition. So far, I haven't had any problems, not even the spindown issue reported by some other people.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jeomite said:

Make sure you grab the latest wbfs manager, it has the corruption fix (should you ever use it to delete games)

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
I am currently using a 1TB WD Essentials drive with a 340GB WBFS partition for the loader, 10GB FAT32 for wads, and the rest NTFS for ISO images copied from the WBFS partition. So far, I haven't had any problems, not even the spindown issue reported by some other people.

are other people getting the spindown issue with that exact drive? if so, i don't want it.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priapism said:
nl255 said:

are other people getting the spindown issue with that exact drive? if so, i don't want it.

I have the WD 1TB Essential, partitioned with 200GB for Wii games, 800GB NTFS. No issues with it at all; it works great for me.

greevedogg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would have to agree with den....
i have a 1.5TB Seagate Freeagent xtreme and haven't been able to get it to work...
500GB partitioned WBFS, the rest NTSC...formatted with WBFS.exe in XP, unable to be recognized wth any 1.1-1.4 loader.

tried formatting to FAT32 but still get ERROR:NO partitions found! (ret = -6)

DON"T GET A SEAGATE!

BrandonG777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not 1TB, but this is what I ordered...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136263

WD My Passport 320GB
Doesn't need an external power source
It's white, matches the Wii
It's small and lightweight

Being able to plug it without messing with a power source is very nice, since I can just disconnect plug into my Linux server and dump ISOs straight to the drive. I was going to go the 1TB route but it's really overkill, I have the 320GB loaded with all the games I like, all the games my son likes and then some and I still have like 160GB free.

Elfish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
good to hear that the wd essential works just fine
smile.gif

according to the wiki the wd elements 1tb works fine too.
i might go for that.

otherwise it makes me wonder if a 500gb drive is enough....
i got like 200+ games :/

on the other hand a 1tb drive is just 20€ more
ohmy.gif

*doesn't know what to do
wink.gif

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:

What's your hardware Revision Number (R/N)? I have a 500GB R/N: B7B that REQUIRED me to open it up to increase the spindown time. The newer B8B cannot be connected to a SATA port. On the plus side, maybe these revisions don't have a spindown issue?

greevedoggi would have to agree with den....
i have a 1.5TB Seagate Freeagent xtreme and haven't been able to get it to work...
500GB partitioned WBFS, the rest NTSC...formatted with WBFS.exe in XP, unable to be recognized wth any 1.1-1.4 loader.

DON"T GET A SEAGATE!

It's not surprising that a 1.5 TB would have problems working with the Wii? I wouldn't say that's Seagate's fault. I have heard that the Seagate FreeAgent Go works with the Wii. And, you can turn off the spindown feature without opening the case. I'd probably go with that one instead of the Passport if I had to do it all over.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
nl255 said:

What's your hardware Revision Number (R/N)? I have a 500GB R/N: B7B that REQUIRED me to open it up to increase the spindown time. The newer B8B cannot be connected to a SATA port. On the plus side, maybe these revisions don't have a spindown issue?

greevedoggi would have to agree with den....

DON"T GET A SEAGATE!

It's not surprising that a 1.5 TB would have problems working with the Wii? I wouldn't say that's Seagate's fault. I have heard that the Seagate FreeAgent Go works with the Wii. And, you can turn off the spindown feature without opening the case. I'd probably go with that one instead of the Passport if I had to do it all over.

I have a 320BG FreeAgent Go and I have had no problems with it all. I changed the power settings via PC and then formatted on the Wii and it's worked like a charm.

Some people might want a bigger drive but to be frank, there are not enough good games to fill 320GB, let alone a TB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out