Hardware What is the BEST $1000 Gaming PC?

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I am slowly but surely learning more about Computer Hardware. This thread will help me a butt load if I can get some help

I have about $1100 saved up for a gaming PC and I want to get the BEST bang for my buck.
Here is what I have so far http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BbW9NN

Can anyone tell me anything better? Or do you think this is the best I can get for $1000?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Change your CPU to a 6500, change your motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-H110M-A, change your RAM to HyperX FURY Black 8GB, change your case to CoolerMaster N200, if you REALLY want to try and stick with that hardware config

May I ask why you're making so many compromises on what you seem to be trying to make into a fully-fledged battlestation? It just kind of seems... contradictory, I guess, to have to have a 1070 paired with a B150/H110 motherboard. At least, in my perspective. I guess if you don't need the features of a Z170/H170 board, don't use them, but everything about the part list just seems weird to me lol

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going purely gaming, the general consensus is that you want the baseline CPU for you GPU. Less money spent on CPU = More money available for GPU.

*** I am constantly Editing this Post so refresh if necessary OP***

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bVFVxr
This was my build. I ordered my CPU Cooler from Amazon and ended up getting it for free. So I decided I'd make up for it by buying some high quality thermal paste and high quality fans to make up for it. I could have saved an addition 75$ If I had just gone with the pre-installed paste and default case fans.

CPU:
1) New i5-6600 comes with its own CPU Cooler. You can save on that.
2) This i5 does not have hyper threading so I suggest going to my 3rd suggestion.
3) I recommend you buy a used i7 for cheaper than the one you're buying new that delivers more from """eBay""". Why? Because from eBay you get eBay protection no matter what. If it doesn't work you can return it for free, even free shipping, no matter what.

Motherboard:

1) LinusTechTips has shown that a gaming motherboard (of 170$ value) vs a crappy 15$ motherboard will show a 1.2 FPS difference in theoretical gaming performance. What you look for in a gaming motherboard is extra components like built in WiFi, or a high performance sound card, color coordination, etc. But you pay for this is $$$.
2) So unless you are using some 200$-2000$ High Quality Surround Sound System with a killer subwoofer. You DON'T need a Gaming Motherboard with a HD Sound Card.
3) If you are using ETHERNET CABLE you DON'T need built in WIFI CARD. If you buy a Wifi Card, buy a PCIe one that has 2-3 antennas so you get better WiFi Signal is my opinion.

RAM:
1) Please go with 16 GB if at all possible.
2) IDK if you do. But if in the future you want to stream your games. 8GB won't cut it.
3) Small Edit: Remain at your selected 2400 Mhz. DDR4 Motherboards run native at 2400 Mhz if the RAM says higher than 2400 that means you can Overclock to that but that doesn't mean it will be safe or will work. Mine is 3000 Mhz and will only overclock stably at 2800 Mhz.

GPU:
1) I recommend for a budget, get a GTX 1060. It runs about 17% stronger than a GTX 970.
2) If at all possible throw in an additional 120$ for a GTX 1070. This runs about 20% stronger than a 1080Ti.
***This is not PHYSICAL FPS RESULTS. This is just what I got from GPUBoss Benchmarks***

Case:
1) That case does indeed look thin enough to not be a nuisance, so that is fine.
2) Remember, that is a mid tower case, the smaller the case the less room it has for air to flow, meaning you'll need more fans make sure warm/hot air pass out of the Case. This is the reason for a tall tower case.

Fan:
1) I don't see that you are buying any. But if you are, it's not proven or anything but for performance buy only Brown fans (They DO look ugly though). I will use an example, in my build, the White Fans that costed 0$ are the case fans that came with it. And the 22.22$ fans are brown fans. They run at the same speed. However, I feel a very noticeable difference in air flow between them.

PSU:
1) That PSU is super overpriced.
2) The general consensus is around .5$ for 10 every watt or <1$ if it is Gold/Platinum.
3) Go with Bronze or even normal 80+. People will tell you that Gold/Platinum matter. But it does not. PSU's up to titanium has a 92 or 94% power efficiency. I forget the exact number. And the difference is 2% for each tier level. So if Titanium was 94% efficient, Platinum is 92%, Gold is 90%, Silver is 88%, Bronze is 86% and 80+ is 84% Efficient.
HOWEVER, there is a catch to this. The extra efficiency will ONLY APPLY IF the Load is OVER 50%. Meaning if you buy a big Power Supply that doesn't go over 50% you are not getting any benefits off of it.
4) DEAL ENDS TONIGHT I recommend this one, it is 430W and is only 16.99. The rebate ends today so if you plan on buying it buy it fast. Remember to use the Promo Code for 4$ off at the top of the link. This is 13 watts for every .5$ so it is a good deal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139026
5) General rule, DON'T RUN PAST 80% PSU LOAD if you want your PSU to last. Since your build only uses 340W MAX and this PSU is 430W. You will never reach 80% load at max. But you'll never be maxing out your CPU and GPU at the same time.

This is about all you need to know, if you have any questions, just quote me and delete everything so it's not long in the quote.

Last edited by Ray2R,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why get an i7 though when an i5 would suit him just fine? He hasn't mentioned anything that he would need an i7 for, and the intent is clearly "best bang for the buck"

Ray2R

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why get an i7 though when an i5 would suit him just fine? He hasn't mentioned anything that he would need an i7 for, and the intent is clearly "best bang for the buck"
That is why I recommenced a used i7, it will cost less than the New i5-6600 and deliver a beneficial boost to his processing power since games usually don't take advantage of more than 4 cores but most games do take advantage of hyper threading. This is just a recommendation and he is in no way inclined to follow it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I bought that exact motherboard and put it in my rig, and I have to say, it's quite the little performer! I've got the i7 6700 (non-K) and 16GB of G.Skill DDR4 2133MHz, R7 360 2GB.

Beats the pants off my last build: A Core i5 650 @3.2GHz "Clarkdale" (1st-gen i5), 6GB of DDR3 1333(mixed brands, sizes, and timings), socket 1156 Asus motherboard, and an Nvidia 450 GTS 1GB dev card.

Also, you're going to wanna get a second 8GB stick of RAM for dual-channel support.

Last edited by Jayro,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr