What is the benefit of updating the A9LH?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by b1g4s, May 3, 2017.

1. b1g4s
    OP

b1g4s Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    Portugal
    I've been thinking a bit since I installed luma through 3ds guide and I do not know until now what's the point of updating the A9LH. I was grateful that with education and without offending someone clarified this doubt to me remembering that I am new in this type of thing.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    There are a lot of benefits to A9LH
    No longer needing emuNAND as you can run CFW(s) right onto your sysNAND. Which also means you only need to install DSi/GBA games once. So you save a lot of space with this
    Faster+100% boot rate. A9LH boots seconds after you push the power button, so your CFW starts right away
    CFW can be install straight onto your CTRNAND, which is just cool.
    So long as your A9LH install remains untouched, you basically completely trash your sysNAND and almost always be able to recover with a NAND backup.

b1g4s likes this.
  3. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    He already has A9LH. He's asking what the benefits of updating the installation itself are.

4. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    My bad, been up all night.
    Right so the major befits is that the most recent A9LH allows for CFWs to be stored/ran from the CTRNAND.

b1g4s likes this.
  5. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Updating V1 to V2, etc, offers no difference.
    For example, if you used the V1 method sometime ago and want to have arm9loaderhax.bin bootable from the CTR partition now (no sd card) then updating with the latest files and Luma will achieve this.

b1g4s likes this.
  6. b1g4s
    OP

b1g4s Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    Portugal
    Can I update normally in version 11.14 right?

7. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Your OFW does not effect your A9LH. So long as you can access your A9LH payloads, you can always update your version of A9LH.
    Just to add to this, A9LH exploits the system so early in the boot process, that it actually boots before the sysNAND is mounted. So basically it doesn't matter what your OFW is because A9LH works before the system even has a chance to get that far in the boot process.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 3, 2017
  8. b1g4s
    OP

b1g4s Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    Portugal
    Ok then, thank you to everyone!