Hacking What is SNEEK used for?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not being able to damage the real NAND of the Wii is probably the biggest Advantage
wink.gif

Also, it's easier to manage the content on the NAND through your PC than on the Wii

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Venoms said:
So if you have an non modded wii.

Can you use sneek instead of modding the wii?

Well you need to 'mod' it enough to be able to run sneek - ie cIOS at least. But you can do all sorts of risky/nasty things to the sneek image and leave your system relatively clean.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SenorClean said:
Venoms said:
So if you have an non modded wii.

Can you use sneek instead of modding the wii?

Well you need to 'mod' it enough to be able to run sneek - ie cIOS at least. But you can do all sorts of risky/nasty things to the sneek image and leave your system relatively clean.

Would it be possible to add Custom IOS (CIOS) to sneek?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sneek is basically just a way to lie to the PPC in the wii. the wii has 2 processors ARM and PPC. games, the system menu, channels, most homebrew, and pretty much every other program that accepts user input and draws on the screen run on the PPC. when these programs want information from the wii's internal memory, internet, dvd, sd card, or pretty much anywhere else, they have to ask the program running on the ARM (an IOS usually) for it (except when the wii is in gamecube mode).

sneek runs on the ARM and it redirects where information comes from and in some cases, patches that information with false data. the end result is that the program running on the PPC asks for data from the wii's nand and it gets it from the sd card instead. if the PPC wants data from the dvd drive, sneek can give it data from a usb drive instead. when the system menu asks how much space is used for channels, sneek flat out lies about it and gives a low number so the system menu doesnt give the "system memory is full" message.

about cIOS and sneek, since IOS and sneek both run on the arm, there is a chance that they will not play nicely together. they are both trying to patch stuff and be smart, but they dont realize that each other is there and both are trying to be smart. the end result is that when sneek tries to load a cIOS, it doesnt load all of it and the parts of it that do load start doing their normal cIOS stuff and end up patching memory where sneek is and both of them end up not working right.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rats. I was hoping for offical IOS overridding with CIOSs built in to sneek. Elmanating the need to install CIOSs. But i see that is impossible for it.

Thanks for the info, pune.

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
about cIOS and sneek, since IOS and sneek both run on the arm, there is a chance that they will not play nicely together. they are both trying to patch stuff and be smart, but they dont realize that each other is there and both are trying to be smart. the end result is that when sneek tries to load a cIOS, it doesnt load all of it and the parts of it that do load start doing their normal cIOS stuff and end up patching memory where sneek is and both of them end up not working right.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the explaing how SNEEK works as well.

vexing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
about cIOS and sneek, since IOS and sneek both run on the arm, there is a chance that they will not play nicely together.

i guess this means no rawksd customs + usb emulated nand?

damingraham

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leondmsmith said:
Thanks Pune, love it when people actually explain things rather than just flame each other =)
lmao thats what i got when i asked.

Me : whats sneek do?
Uber Nerd : If your not as neerdy as I then why bother explaining?
Me: SMH

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
I love sneek but I still cannot get my sneek+di or uneek working. whenever I include the di module it refuses to boot. I read somewhere I need at least one extracted game for it to boot. Perhaps I should give this a go and see if it works then? i'm compiling the latest version witth svn.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene that you can...