What is "patching a rom?"

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by SavageWaffle, Mar 22, 2008.

Mar 22, 2008
  1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm like a noob in Slot-2 but on Slot-1 im alright. So i want to play GBA games. I picked the eWin Expansion Pack. Its about $15. Its simple, but doesn't have cheat function. I don't really care since il be using FAQ's/Walkthroughs. I'm sure that he eWin Expansion Pack isn't "drag and drop" which most Slot-1s are. So how do i patch a ROM? Is there some kind of a software? And what exactly is the GBA Loader? I've seen it a few times on the GBATemp download section. What exactly is it? Is it compatible with the eWin Expansion Pack?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You are thinking of SRAM patching. GBA games can use three different types of save hardware: SRAM, EEPROM, and Flash memory. Many GBA flashcarts only directly support SRAM save types, so the games that use Flash or EEPROM saves must be patched so that they can save to the flashcart's SRAM. GBA ExpLoader and the eWin expansion loaders do this automatically. For other carts & loaders it must be done manually with a program like GBATA.

All of the loaders that support the eWin GBA expansion are drag & drop. GBA ExpLoader is almost certainly going to be better supported than the official eWin loader, so I'd recommend going with that.

3. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States