What is/not Homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by |WickeD&#12, Jul 18, 2008.

Jul 18, 2008

What is/not Homebrew? by |WickeD&#12 at 8:51 PM (1,553 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. |WickeD&#12
    OP

Newcomer |WickeD&#12 Member

Ok I am making this post to find out where this imaginary line is. I see so many of you bashing/flaming "pirates" specially with the news of the SOFTmod to play backups. When really there is no difference with any of it is there?

How can "homebrewers" think their so righteous when I see a lot support for Emulators in the homebrew community. Oh its not used by pirates, this is just a way to emulate more homebrew games..... please explain that one to me.

The fact that some hackers claim they don't pirate cause its illegal or wrong are so full of them selfs. Hacking breaks any TOS on any hardware period and some would say that it can become a legal matter and is with out a doubt moral nono. Do you really think a big company like Nintendo cares if its just harmless homebrew, they dont want any of it period (patch 3.3 for Wii). The simple fact that a dev could make a game for their console without any kinda ties to them is not something they will ever agree with. So by trying to find justification I just use homebrew and want to hang people that play backups on their systems is well..... stupid? Keep your self righteous lameness to your selfs.

Hacking will lead to one thing, FREEDOM from any mold. Don't dare sugar coat it, it is what it is with no limitations. I started this post to ask the simple question where is the line between "good" "bad" Hombrew/hacking.

Before you flame me just think about it, think about what kinda website/forum your on right now then make your post.

2. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I totally agree with you. While I love homebrew, I'm not going to lie: I download games all the time. Mostly for my DS. There are a select few that I buy (usually RPGs, really the only ones to me that are worth my money).

Regardless of if you are creating something that is "homebrew" you are most likely violating the terms of service (and in some states/countries that is breaking the law) due to the way you have to install/run it (mod chips is just 1 example). It applies to everything: Wii, PSP, xbox, your mp3 player that you installed rockbox on, etc etc.

My two xbox's are softmodded, I have two supercards, I ran the Twilight Hack on the Wii. If there was an exploit to play games you have DOWNLOADED (or "backups") I sure as hell would take advantage of it. You think I want to pay $50 something dollars to find out Dragon Quest sucks and then not be able to return/exchange it?

Wow, I was hoping for more of a discussion. Maybe this is better suited in another part of the forum?

3. Stalkid64

Member Stalkid64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Keeping it simple.
    Homebrew is homemade apps and code, utils, games, whatever, as can be found on wiibrew. Things made by people for themselves, for their own or for the use of others.
    Piracy i.e. stealing commercial games, is not homebrew. You can see this from the definition of homebrew.
    There. Solved. [​IMG]

4. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    I think the point was not, 'What is homebrew?' as that is obvious - anything that is not an official game. (And is coded by some other person)

What he meant was that, to even play homebrew you violate the terms of use, by breaking copy protection/encryption etc. And furthermore to that half of the best homebrew (more for wii) is just emulators for other consoles - which is piracy anyway. So all hacking is 'bad' to some extent.

Anyway, despite all the people acting so righteous about only using homebrew, I highly doubt they only use the apps and utilities which don't involve pirating games (which is 'harmless' hacking). They will at the very least use emulators, which with the VC can be directly converted into a cost, in the same way real wii games can. And most people here have modchips which they use to play pirated games on anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that piracy is the worst crime you can commit (Nintendo are making bags of money at the moment) people seem to try and cover up the fact that they do it.

5. Gamesphere

Member Gamesphere GBAtemp Regular

United States
    But don't they go hand in hand? If homebrew exists, doesn't that mean the system is opended up for piracy. I haven't seen any scenario where this hasn't been truthful. The PS3 is hacked, The BluRay has been dumped, The problem is cost efficiency and getting the games to play.

6. jayparadox

Member jayparadox GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Stalkid64, you're wrong again.

Every homebrew app uses Nintendo's hardware to run on(graphics card, CPU, etc...) or to control the apps(Wiimote, GC Controller, SD Hardware, etc...). They don't give permission to use it for homebrew. It's ilegal.
    Every homebrew app is run booting Nintendo's software(System Menu, or Zelda). They don't give permission to use it for homebrew. It's ilegal.

There are more things like these. You bought this machine, and doing so you accepted the TOS, which are quite clear about all this stuff.

I'm pro-piracy, so don't atack me. Give me good reasons to change my mind on all what I've wrote.

7. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    the difference is there:

as soon as you are stealing someone else copyrighted code, you are a pirate: this include pirated games, pirated VC, modified channels and banners that some of you made, and even code from hmebrew devs

homebrew is a whole different thing;: you are creating something from scratch or porting an open source project, an emulator, for example, don't use ANY piece of copyrighted code (if it wants to keep legal)

the difference is there, some people are creating some things for our pleasure but some other just take the easy road by stealing this already done job... homebrew should stay on the side of creation

now, what you do with the hardware you bought is totally different: nintendo made you agreed some kind of chart which has no legal meanings, this is just a way for them to protect themsleves (legally speaking) if your modified hardware is going out of control

8. Stalkid64

Member Stalkid64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    He never asked, and I never said anything about, the legality of it (which by the way depends on what country you are in anyway...). He asked what the difference was or where the line was between what is and is not considered to be homebrew. So no, sorry but I'm right as pertaining to the point he wanted clarified. Again. As Jacobeian said it above, too.

9. |WickeD&#12
    OP

Newcomer |WickeD&#12 Member

I can see the people that understood my post clearly.

Don't game developers pay thousands of dollas for Dev kits from Nintendo (or any other console system) ? So wouldnt all the work done to reverse engineer these systems be well, illegal? Well let me clue you in to Nintendos eyes Homebrew should not exist period and well illegal. So dont sugar coat it and say "I play homebrew not pirated software". Its clear enough when they patch to stop it.

No good reply about the emulators too. I mean all over wiibrew.org there are emulator listings dont tell me thats just for people who have backups of oldskool games. So all the people that flame "pirates" and the downfall of things like a Wii SoftMod just take a look in the toilet and tell me your shit dont stink?