What is meant by "losing HEN mode if shutdown"?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by The Chow, Dec 25, 2010.

1. The Chow
    OP

Newcomer The Chow Member

Canada
    First things first: I haven't performed the TN Hen yet (reasons being here, if you care.), and I have some very specific questions about it.

One of the blogs following TN Hen mentions,
    What does it mean by that? I thought this was a firmware overwrite into a CFW? (as Youtube videos seem to tell me)
    Or does it simply mean that I have to use the HBL loading method every time?

What I'm interpreting from that quote is that when you lose the HEN mode, it’ll be back into regular OFW 6.20, or did I just read that completely wrong?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You go to youtube for hacking info? That's laughable, most youtube users don't know a DLL from a PRX.

This is a HEN. It's in the name, TN HEN A. If those users don't even know the difference between a HEN and a CFW, stop listening to them.

Yes, when you shut the PSP down fully, it'll go back to the unhacked state and you'll need to load the patapon 2 demo and activate the HEN again. To avoid this use the PSP's sleep mode (where you just flick the power switch instead of holding it).

EDIT: To clarify, "that's laughable" was mocking them (not you) for not knowing what HEN is.

3. The Chow
    OP

Newcomer The Chow Member

Canada
    Not necessarily for direct info, but observational info.

Basically, what I saw was people running TN Hen, then immediately showing the System Info + Firmware version saying that it's diffferent. This is why I thought it was an firmware overwrite, but I guess that's just temporary. (correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning.)

But, thanks for letting me know that I'll still have my original firmware. So when I shut down, everything is back to normal?

(just gathering info here, since I'm completely new to this stuff [​IMG] )

EDIT: Thanks for that clarification. I was hurt a little by that, but now I feel better. [​IMG]

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It doesn't modify the actual firmware (because we don't have proper writing to flash yet). It just modifies what's loaded in memory, which is why it's temporary.

When you shut down memory is cleared, and when you start back up it reloads the (untouched version of the) system software from the flash/firmware.

So yes, if your PSP loses power, or you hold the power switch to tell it to shut down fully, it reverts back to the unmodified firmware.

5. The Chow
    OP

Newcomer The Chow Member

Canada
    Awesome. Time to have some fun. [​IMG]

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    tl;dr version :-

It modifies volatile memory which is flushed on power down....