Hacking What is known about an exploit with access to the kernel 9.3+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonohalloran123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I really do not want to buy a Sky3ds, they are very expensive.
Do exploits with access to kernel files are only in the console or also found in 3DS games?
Are you aware of any exploit kernel to be private?
Please do not insult me if this does not go here.
and also for my bad English.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Kernel, by definition, does not depend on the games on the console. Anyway, sounds like you want ARM9; which is not kernel, it is one level above that.

Edit:
As far as I can tell, there is nothing yet.

D

Deleted-236924

Wouldn't be wise to release that kind of exploit so soon, given Nintendo would just patch it out and it would be wasted.
Or we can wait until a few years or so later, once 3DS has had several more system updates (or wait until Nintendo changes something that has a side effect of fixing the vulnerability), and then release it so it covers a much bigger range of system versions.

Current one covers nearly all firmwares 9.2 or lower, if someone released a new kernel exploit now it would only cover 9.3-10.3, and then be patched in 10.4 or whatever and it would have been a waste basically, especially given how easy it can be to find a 9.2 or lower 3DS/2DS.

Jack_Sparrow

Ruthless Pirate
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo.com
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't be wise to release that kind of exploit so soon, given Nintendo would just patch it out and it would be wasted.
Or we can wait until a few years or so later, once 3DS has had several more system updates (or wait until Nintendo changes something that has a side effect of fixing the vulnerability), and then release it so it covers a much bigger range of system versions.

Current one covers nearly all firmwares 9.2 or lower, if someone released a new kernel exploit now it would only cover 9.3-10.3, and then be patched in 10.4 or whatever and it would have been a waste basically, especially given how easy it can be to find a 9.2 or lower 3DS/2DS.
Exactly, i'm sure whoever's working on it ;) just want's the best for the 3DS scene

D

Deleted-236924

Like, I mean, yeah it'd be cool to be able to make every firmware version available up until now have access to that, but then a few firmware updates later we'd be back to where we started with lots of people complaining they want access to that but they are above the maximum required.
Or someone could figure out a way to downgrade 10.3 to 9.2 so we could get essentially the same thing without necessarily having to reveal a full-blown kernel exploit, but then that could be wasted too early too since the method for doing it would be patched in the following firmware.
Absolute best would be to wait until 3DS is at end of life and release everything then, when Nintendo wouldn't really be making much firmware updates anymore :P

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of

The 3ds is still relevant now though. I'd rather it be released ASAP while there's a significant community here to develop for it, and fans to appreciate their work.

If you wait a few years when updates are over and Nintendo isn't even releasing games anymore, you'll be essentially singing to an empty auditorium (i.e. PSP scene). Lets have fun now while homebrew has an audience. And it's not like a new kernel exploit means it has to be the last either.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are we all working off the assumption that there ARE 9.3+ exploits discovered that people just haven't released?

D

Deleted-236924

The 3ds is still relevant now though. I'd rather it be released ASAP while there's a significant community here to develop for it, and fans to appreciate their work.

If you wait a few years when updates are over and Nintendo isn't even releasing games anymore, you'll be essentially singing to an empty auditorium (i.e. PSP scene). Lets have fun now while homebrew has an audience. And it's not like a new kernel exploit means it has to be the last either.

Psh, people want it for piracy not homebrew. You can get plenty of capable homebrew running under userland with Cubic Ninja already if homebrew is what you want, especially on N3DS.
Sure, having homebrew as .cia allows for better homebrew atm.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Psh, people want it for piracy not homebrew. You can get plenty of capable homebrew running under userland with Cubic Ninja already if homebrew is what you want, especially on N3DS.
Sure, having homebrew as .cia allows for better homebrew atm.
The piracy and homebrew worlds are tightly intertwined even though the elites don't want to admit it. You look at the legendary DS scene and you have to realize that most probably got into it to get free games. But since all DS piracy cards are also homebrew cards, a good portion of those pirates were turned onto homebrew. That's my controversial opinion: piracy drives homebrew and innovation (even though I still see it as immoral).

This is why I would love to, just for once, see an open source CFW on the latest firmware while the 3ds is still relevant. Given the 3ds is scheduled to be replaced in late 2016, I hope this happens sooner rather than later.

D

Deleted-236924

The piracy and homebrew worlds are tightly intertwined even though the elites don't want to admit it. You look at the legendary DS scene and you have to realize that most probably got into it to get free games. But since all DS piracy cards are also homebrew cards, a good portion of those pirates were turned onto homebrew. That's my controversial opinion: piracy drives homebrew and innovation (even though I still see it as immoral).

This is why I would love to, just for once, see an open source CFW on the latest firmware while the 3ds is still relevant. Given the 3ds is scheduled to be replaced in late 2016, I hope this happens sooner rather than later.
Thing is, we can already get people developing homebrew for the 3DS without kernel exploits for >9.2 being available, we can't use the argument of bringing devs to developing homebrew for it while it's still relevant. They're already doing it.
And devs interested in developing homebrew that take advantage of the full power of the 3DS can already do so with a 9.2 or lower system; all the homebrew made then will work on higher firmwares too once it becomes possible to actually have kernel access on higher firmwares.

I guess you could say more people with kernel access on their 3DS makes for more people available for developing homebrew for it, but... everyone capable of developing homebrew that actually requires full kernel access to work at its best can already easily get their hands on a <=9.2 3DS, or already has one.

Unless you want to make a really good emulator or really complex game anyone should be ok developing homebrew with just userland access with ninjhax.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Incolbum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really do not want to buy a Sky3ds, they are very expensive.
Do exploits with access to kernel files are only in the console or also found in 3DS games?
Are you aware of any exploit kernel to be private?
Please do not insult me if this does not go here.
and also for my bad English.

1) Console only, as far as we're concerned.
2) If we were, it'd probably be newsworthy enough to have it's own post.
3) Meh, it's better than my Spanish.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can neither confirm NOR deny there being an unreleased 9.3+ exploit i have thats not released
What the title says, i'd really like to start developing homebrew for 3DS and i was wondering if this was possible

Wants people to assume he has an exploit but can't find a lead on how to make homebrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs