Hacking What is joy con update and what are the risks

akramff

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi
As the title said also i was curious about it i checked it in the menu in reinx (via chou dojou..)installed and it wanted to update the blue one (now i am on 5.1.0 ) and i unpluged it before it finished :(
Can someone tell me whats that?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi
As the title said also i was curious about it i checked it in the menu in reinx (via chou dojou..)installed and it wanted to update the blue one (now i am on 5.1.0 ) and i unpluged it before it finished :(
Can someone tell me whats that?

Joy-Cons have their own firmware, much like the console itself has. AFAIK, the latest firmware can brick your joy-con if it's modded, if it's unmodded it should be fine

Reactions: Blinkerz

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joy-Cons have their own firmware, much like the console itself has. AFAIK, the latest firmware can brick your joy-con if it's modded, if it's unmodded it should be fine
Well to be more specific, its when you bridge pins 9 & 10 together. However, most if not all people use those 2 pins on the Joy-Con to enter RCM so you're technically right that modded Joy-Cons don't work but the real reason is because of the pins.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well to be more specific, its when you bridge pins 9 & 10 together. However, most if not all people use those 2 pins on the Joy-Con to enter RCM so you're technically right that modded Joy-Cons don't work but the real reason is because of the pins.

I knew it was a pins issue but i didn't know EXACTLY which pins caused the issue so i preferred not to say anything about that. But i was more referring to those joy cons that are permanently modded, like when people solder pins together. I ASSUME that if the pins aren't soldered then the bricking isn't permanent but correct me if i'm wrong

Reactions: NoNAND and weatMod

johnnyblackout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modified my joycon by shorting the pins with a push button switch (pins are only shorted when i press the button on back of joycon). Update didn't seem to effect my joycons at all, other than the fact that now lakka wont recognize my joycons anymore. other than that I haven't noticed any difference.

CreativeMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I modified my joycon by shorting the pins with a push button switch (pins are only shorted when i press the button on back of joycon). Update didn't seem to effect my joycons at all, other than the fact that now lakka wont recognize my joycons anymore. other than that I haven't noticed any difference.
I confirm the same thing, modded mine with a reed switch and uptdated, still working fine.

soilxkirax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My right joycon stopped syncing when connected to the switch, but after docking it and undocking it recognized both, this, with the permanent solder on pins 9 and 10

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After Joycon updates, my left stick went crazy - sometimes they will drift and things on screen will move on its own even when I am not touching it.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I have the same question, i originally was on 4.1, then updated to 5.1 via app, if i update my joycon then downgrade to 4.1, wil there be any problem?

Skonikol

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have the same question, i originally was on 4.1, then updated to 5.1 via app, if i update my joycon then downgrade to 4.1, wil there be any problem?
I was on 5.1.0 and switched to 6.0.0, joycons updated. Now I'm back on 5.1.0 and the joysticks are working normally.

Reactions: lordelan

macia10

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hm I was wondering too about updating my modded joycon. I did solder pin 1 and 10 using 10k resistor. Am I safe to update it or will it fail after? I'm talking about update in fw 6.0

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For real for real